Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Making the move from 5 to 10k

Howlongtillbedtime · 13/08/2019 18:26

I can manage a 5k (only recently and v.slow) and I would really like to get up to being able to run a 10k. Is it just a case of slowing my pace and adding on extra distance at every run ?

Or does anyone know a good app or training plan ?

Thank you, all advice very welcome.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Onatreebyariver · 13/08/2019 18:36

You can get apps but you can also just easily slow your pace slightly and add 1km each time (or 500m if you want to build up slower)

You’d be surprised how easy it is really. Building from 0-5km is the really hard bit.

Please
or

Howlongtillbedtime · 13/08/2019 19:03

Thank you that is what I thought but if there was an easier way I thought I would try and find it.

Will try and concentrate on the distance first and worry about the time afterwards.
I know I will be slow but I am ok with that for now. In the past I have cared too much about speed and messed things up.

OP's posts:
Please
or

emummy · 14/08/2019 06:15

Yes, , pick one run a week to be your long run and gradually add distance to that, either 500m or a km at a time. If one week you feel increasing is too much then stick at that distance for a week or two. The other runs if you like you can introduce a little speed work like a fartlek where you run a bit faster for a short time, say to the next lamppost, then jog till you feel recovered, then do another short faster bit and repeat maybe 4 or 5 times. Just if you want some variety. Definitely good to concentrate more on the distance first though, you will gradually get faster as you get fitter. Good luck!

Please
or

Howlongtillbedtime · 14/08/2019 10:24

Thank you emummy Weather is rubbish today so will go to the gym and get on the treadmill. I dont mind that because I can keep an eye on my pace better.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.