Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

If you could choose 3 classes to do and if you were me...

42isthemeaning · 12/08/2019 17:55

....me being a 40 something, 3 stones over weight, wobbly tummied person who has literally just taken up exercise again, what would you choose to do?
So far I've tried:
Spinning (thought I'd die)
Core conditioning with weights - seemed doable if I keep it up
Metafit (thought I'd die)
Aquafit - enjoyed it and doable
Boxercise - very energetic, almost thought I'd die, but I enjoyed punching things.
Pilates - only watched today but struggle with lying flat on back (some lumbar spine and sciatica issues) I know I sound like I'm making excuses but if people recommend these classes I will persevere and hopefully survive!
I will also have access to a gym, pool and I have a bike and Wii fit at home. The problem is I won't have as much time when I go back to work except if I make myself go in the evenings or god forbid, early in the morning.
Basically I've come to realise that I'm too fat and unfit. I never stick at anything and I think doing exercise first would motivate me to eat better once I start to feel a bit fitter. I also have some life long mh issues and I know exercise would help with that.
Does anyone have any lovely words of wisdom for me? Smile

OP's posts:
Please
or

LifeOfBox · 12/08/2019 18:11

You have to find something you love, whether it’s a class full of lovely people or something else, and and then form a habit.

I used to enjoy cycling but don’t enjoy being on the roads on my own so currently do very little.

I used to do a lot of rowing so signed up to a back to rowing course (sadly have to drive 30 miles for water) and bought myself another rowing machine. Even though I am only on the water once a week I love it, highlight of my weekend. Full body workout, non weight bearing. Burns tons of calories. Rowing in a boat with a crew is just fabulous.

I too had gained weight and become less active due to medication and health issues in the last few years. But I quickly shed two stone once I picked up rowing again and I feel much much better about life.

I now row every other morning in my spare bedroom, play tennis. I am crap at it but it is good fun and my lesson is full of nice people.

I go to yoga, again, full of lovely people and I enjoy it even if I am the stiffest person in the room. I am getting better though and have a couple of yoga apps I like so try to fit something in every other day.

Once you get into the swing of getting up a bit earlier or going out to the gym instead of sitting down in the evenings it does get easier.

Don’t try to do too much too soon if you think time will be a struggle, twice a week is a great start.

Please
or

BikeRunSki · 12/08/2019 18:15

When you say “bike”, do you mean static bike or push bike?

Please
or

42isthemeaning · 12/08/2019 18:22

Life it sounds like you've found your ideal exercise. Apart from the gym there's not much chance of rowing where I currently live. I did it years ago at another gym and remember quite enjoying it. Good for you though - I would love to have your motivation!
Bike - it's a push bike. I also just remembered that I have a cross trainer (aka clothes airer) in a cupboard. I could never seem to get the resistance right on it, so never knew if it was doing me any good? I also didn't know how long I should be using it for at a time.

OP's posts:
Please
or

LifeOfBox · 12/08/2019 18:30

I have 42, I love it, I am fifty and was away from it for decades.

I have also done the British Cycling breeze champion training with a view to setting up a breeze bike ride where I live after the school hols. All the cycling groups near me are fast and furious types so I thought I would set my own up. Perhaps you could look for one of those if you like riding your bike - women only, involves cake 🍰. Unfortunately they are not everywhere- hence I did the leader course!

Please
or

BikeRunSki · 12/08/2019 18:33

@42isthemeaning check out Breeze rides - free, guided, women’s only bike rides, for all different lengths and abilities.Breeze rides. You’ll be surprised how far you can go on a bike.

Please
or

BikeRunSki · 12/08/2019 18:34

X post with @LifeOfBox

Please
or

beatriceprior · 12/08/2019 18:43

Have you tried couch to 5k?

I did and I really enjoyed it.

I'm going back to it after my holiday.
I used to download a tv series to watch whilst doing it and then watch it only when I ran.

You get voice prompts though your headphones when to run and when to walk so I could watch my iPad at the same time.

I don't particularly enjoy running but it does shift the weight off me like nothing else I've tried and it's encouraging to see improvement week on week.

Please
or

42isthemeaning · 12/08/2019 18:52

I've actually signed up for a four week cycling course, women only. It has a different name, but sounds very similar to what you've described. It was also signing up to that which motivated me to get a bit fitter because I didn't want to be a way behind everyone else. I suspect it won't be like that though. You know I did do C25K 3 years ago and I then did the Race for Life, then stopped - just like that! I found my knee was also starting hurt and I think running must have aggravated it - or it's just that I'm older than I thought in my head and I'm falling to bits!

OP's posts:
Please
or

applepineapple · 12/08/2019 18:53

See if you have a local Clubbercise class. I've been every week since I started 5 weeks ago and I love it! It doesn't feel like exercise and it's fun which is definitely motivating for me Grin

Please
or

rookiemere · 12/08/2019 19:20

Weight classes are definitely good and it sounds like you enjoy the aquafit so I'd stick with those and then see if you can incorporate more walking/cycling into your commute.

Please
or

Monstermissy36 · 12/08/2019 19:47

Are you me? I have just joined a gym, in m 42 and very unfit!

I tried Pilates and yoga which I love and if you tell the teacher your issues she may well help you out for stretching etc I always feel much better after a class.

Tried spinning but struggle to stand up and cycle my knees play me up. Loved aquacise tho.

I am going to book some PT sessions in as when I go back to work in a couple of weeks I'll need to keep the motivation up. Otherwise I'm just doing cardio/weights and lots of yoga and swimming.

See how I get on 😬

Please
or

42isthemeaning · 13/08/2019 08:50

Monster I am on the wrong side of 45, but yes I could be you! You've all given me some good ideas! I need to be realistic about what I can achieve. Though I'd love to get rid of the mum tum (after ten years I probably should have worked on this idea sooner!) I know that I'm not likely to see my abs anytime soon. I would like to lose weight and just feel better overall. My commute involves driving the whole family to a town. We live very rurally and ironically I think we do less exercise than those who walk everywhere in the city! The nearest city which would have a wider variety of classes is 60 miles away; therefore I'm really left with what I mentioned in my first post. Sorry if I should have mentioned my rather middle of nowhere location first. Question: would a workout involving kettlebells be a good idea or is it better to do a class lifting barbel type weights?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Onwardsagain · 17/08/2019 16:38

You need to try and do what you enjoy the most. In a week I tend to do the following.

-Something I love. So spinning or boxing
-Something with weights. Currently go to a brilliant strength class at 6am few times a week😴
-Something for flexibility- because I'm not getting any younger

We have a few kettlebells at home in case the week is too hectic for me to make it to the gym, sometimes will look up yoga, cardio or body weight workouts on you tube.

Please
or

VivaLeBeaver · 17/08/2019 16:43

Core conditioning with weights......strengthening your core will help your back, weights are good especially as you get older.

Something which gets your HR rate up, so either spin, boxercise or metafit.

Pilates, will help your back.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.