Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Does anyone find exercise harder in the 2 weeks before period?

Poppysball · 19/07/2019 10:36

I’m doing couch 2 5 k and am pleased with how I’m doing and that I’ve stuck to it so far!
Today I woke up and my legs felt so heavy and yesterday I felt tired. The last thing I felt like doing todaywas running and I didn’t think I’d be able to do it. I almost didn’t go but I’ve done it and just completed week 5 run 1.

It wasn’t too bad once I got going but I can imagine the closer I get to my period and the more tired and rubbish I feel the harder it will be. The ironic thing is I know exercise is meant to help with pmt but how do you exercise if you feel knackered and achey?

Anyone else find this?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Greybeardy · 19/07/2019 11:01

Yes. I tend to put on a kilo of fluid in the week before (and pee like a horse in the few days after) & get quite short of breath & lethargic. Have re-set my goals for that week now so I don’t get too worried about being slow/having to stop & walk for a bit/just deciding to stay home & do a dvd.

Please
or

Poppysball · 19/07/2019 11:15

That’s a good idea perhaps i just need to not expect too much from myself at that time. To be honest exercise is the last thing I feel like doing on those few days but I’ve read so much about how it’s meant to help.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Pootles34 · 19/07/2019 11:20

Periods make a huge difference! Guardian article on this subject.

Please
or

MoonNoodles · 19/07/2019 11:21

Mine tends to only be the few days before and during my period. But I definitely feel lethargic and I tire faster.

I try to just pace myself down because doing something is better than nothing. I definitely can't push as hard during as the energy just isn't there. Though I will say that I worked out with my personal trainer yesterday and went in with a cramp and it was gone by the end of the session. Everything else was sore from the workout but it was gone. This isn't the first time either that a session has helped with period pain. So it does help its just don't expect to be able to do as much as normal. At least for me anyway.

Please
or

BistoBear · 19/07/2019 11:27

www.amazon.co.uk/Roar-Stacy-Sims/dp/1623366860/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?s=gateway&keywords=roar+stacy+sims&sprefix=roar+&tag=mumsnetforu03-21&qid=1563531893&sr=8-1

This is an excellent book that explains how where we are on our menstrual cycle can have an impact on our ability to exercise.

Our hormones are at their optimum for exercising on day one of our cycle.

The author of that book states that women are not just small men, we should look at our nutrition differently.

Please
or

thenewaveragebear1983 · 31/07/2019 08:07

Yep, running during the luteal phase is hard work, it adds about 30-45 seconds to my km pace I have noticed after tracking this for months. I started noticing I was getting a stitch at this time if i kept to my usual pace; I just simply couldn't get my fitness up.

www.runnersworld.com/advanced/a20805395/how-menstruation-affects-your-running/

I use electrolyte salts during that week which really helps with the stitch and the 'dead legs' feeling

Please
or

MrDarcysMa · 18/08/2019 19:17

Definitely! your hormones drop massively the week before your period (tiredness, lethargy, mood swings) and start to pick up again once you get your period. BUT I don't feel better until towards the end of my period as I have heavy bleeds and bad cramps too.
I am much more likely to injure myself or get a cold the week before my period too!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.