Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Exercise after c section

Lorissa14 · 03/06/2019 20:49

Hi
Just wondered what everyone’s experience was with getting back in to the gym/a fitness routine after a c section?
I had one 8 weeks ago and doctor has said exercise is ok just use ‘common sense’ which is obviously completely subjective.
So I’ve done two boxercise classes so far and I’m coping ok in the class and avoiding isolated ab exercises but after my second workout today I am feeling instantly fragile in my abdominal muscles. Is this too intense? Or is it needed to build my core back up again?
Thanks in advance :)

OP's posts:
Please
or

LittleAndOften · 03/06/2019 20:53

Standard advice is to wait 10 weeks after a c-section before doing gentle exercise. You've had major surgery and your abs have literally been torn apart to get access to your womb. Listen to your body and give it time to heal.

Please
or

Jellybean100 · 03/06/2019 21:03

Jeez I couldn’t imagine doing a class such as boxercise 8 weeks after c section. Start with some gentle exercise to test the waters!
Even though you’re not doing isolated ab work all exercise would use your core to some degree so will put a bit of strain on your section scar and abdominal muscles.

Please
or

Expressedways · 03/06/2019 21:06

My consultant said light exercise after 6 weeks but nothing strenuous, definitely no weights or running, until 12 weeks. Boxercise after 8 weeks sounds way too intense, I’d personally calm it for another month as the risk of causing damage really isn’t worth it.

Please
or

LittleAndOften · 03/06/2019 22:12

@Expressedways that's very different to the literature I was given which said 6 weeks for vaginal, 10 weeks for c-section. Was that NHS?

Please
or

Expressedways · 03/06/2019 23:27

@LittleAndOften It was private but in the U.K. and the consultant does also does NHS work. I do think post natal advice varies quite widely though, I was also told showers only for a month but I know friends who were told they could have a bath straight away- I think they make quite a lot of it up!
Regardless boxercise 8 weeks after a c-section probably isn’t a great idea and I’d personally ease in more gently especially if the OP is experiencing abdominal pain.

Please
or

Lorissa14 · 04/06/2019 08:07

Hi thank you for your responses! I definitely don’t want to do any damage so I will probably wait a while until I try again. It’s just irritating that we all get told we had major surgery but no medical professional has ever told me what my limitations are and what I can and can’t do even when I have asked - so thanks for taking the time to advise me :)

OP's posts:
Please
or

Piffpaffpoff · 04/06/2019 08:22

Hello - I had an abdominal hysterectomy in Feb so different op but similar incision. I think you just have to just listen to your body - my ‘what can I do when?’ chart said no “aerobics” (I think it was quite an old sheet😂) til 12 weeks but I’ve not done any really jumping around/very active stuff yet and that’s me 16 weeks now.

I think it’s just about finding what you can do at each stage and knowing when to say no, not yet. I’ve been doing RPM/spin for the last four weeks but I didn’t do any of the ‘standing’ parts for the first couple of weeks as it was a bit nippy. It’s easier now. I’ve tried Pilates and that was ok at the time but then a bit uncomfortable for a couple of days after so I’m leaving it for a couple of weeks. I got a very gentle abs ‘recovery’ programme from one of the trainers at the gym but it was really uncomfortable so I’ve stopped that and will try again in a couple of weeks.

I am desperate to get back to doing everything I did before but it’s such a short period of time in the greater scheme of things and I don’t want to do anything to jeopardise the long-term so I’ll continue listening to my body. It’s bloody frustrating though!!!!

Please
or

fieldofwheat · 04/06/2019 08:45

Hi op. I had a c section 12 weeks ago and have just started getting back to exercise - gentle jogs and some low impact hiit workouts that I found on YouTube.

I agree that the advice we get is limited and open to much interpretation. I was fortunate to get an appointment with a physiotherapist at 8 weeks pp because I also had separation of my abdominal muscles during pregnancy. She was excellent and really talked through the different layers of muscle and what a c section involves (pulling the muscles apart to gain access to the womb).

The two things she recommend for ab recovery were pelvic floor exercises and posture. She demonstrated how just correcting your posture engages your abs, and to think about your posture when lifting/carrying your baby.

She also advised that a recent study had recommended waiting until 10-12 weeks post c section before returning to running.

Good luck with your recovery

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.