Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Couch to 5k running speed

WithAllIntenseAndPurposes · 23/02/2019 18:51

Hi there on week five- very inactive and unfit prior to starting. My 'run' is basically a speed walk. Worked out it's about 3.5 miles per hour. Is this too slow? I'm very conscious of people seeing me and thinking I'm like a snail on crutches!

OP's posts:
Please
or

DramaAlpaca · 23/02/2019 18:54

C25K is not about speed, it's about building stamina. If you are getting through your runs you are doing just fine. Don't worry about speed, that will come later.

Please
or

RocketPockets · 23/02/2019 18:56

Agree with PP don't worry about speed right now, my first actual 5k I did took me around 45 minutes.
Concentrate on getting through the 'runs'

Please
or

WithAllIntenseAndPurposes · 23/02/2019 19:06

Okay that's reassuring. At the group run I'm behind some but ahead of others so I guess it's all relative

OP's posts:
Please
or

Nacreous · 23/02/2019 19:14

Couch to 5k is about stamina not speed, but I might be tempted to try and add brisk walks into your routine if you can? I think the idea with C25k is that the "run" should be a running/jogging motion rather than a walk (so their should be points in your gait where both feet are off the ground), so that that then you.can build up your speed and stamina from that basic movement, which may be initially slow?

Not sure if that makes sense, but that's how I've always thought it was?

Please
or

WithAllIntenseAndPurposes · 23/02/2019 19:20

It's a definite jog but prob no faster than a walk speed

OP's posts:
Please
or

Nacreous · 23/02/2019 19:22

Sounds exactly like what they are recommending then ! Everything else will come with time, as long as you always push yourself a little bit more every time you go out.

I always struggle with exercise as I have a tendency to think I "ought" to be able to do more, so then I push myself and push myself and then the whole experience is so unpleasant that I'm totally put off for months!

Please
or

OddestSock · 24/02/2019 10:10

Mine is slow! I've completed c25k and just going out running for 30 minutes or so 3 times a week, and I'll manage about 4k in that time.

Please
or

GirlRaisedInTheSouth · 24/02/2019 10:14

I walk at 5.5 km/hr and run at 6 km/hr.

Once you have finished the programme, then is the time to build up speed.

Please
or

WinterHeatWave · 24/02/2019 10:23

Those that run wont care.
Those that dont run, well, who cares about their opinion, you're doing way more than them!
Congrats on getting to week 5!

Please
or

AuntieStella · 24/02/2019 10:29

It's not about speed, but it is about jogging no matter how slow not walking no matter how brisk.

As you say you're Jogging, then you're doing just fine. Well done!

Beautiful weather for it here today. I'm meant to be having a rest day after a long slow run yesterday, but the temptation to go out again is really very high!

Please
or

stayingaliveisawayoflife · 24/02/2019 10:43

I run slower than I walk! I do 5k in an hour at the moment and that's ok as it's still motion! I am used to being taken over by walking people, toddlers and dogs!

Please
or

SmarmyMrMime · 25/02/2019 08:24

In a race, I've walked faster than people running (the impact of a running was really hurting at that point, but I had the energy for a power walk), but it's the same distance and same reward at the end. There really are runners of all shapes, sizes and speeds but what they have in common is running (and walking!)

Prior to C25k, one of the big reasons I'd never run sucessfully was that I tried to keep up with my taller, leggier classmates and burned out within 2 minutes despite being reasonably fit. Being guided through the C25k podcast with Laura's instructions and appropriately paced music slowed me down to the point where my body could cope. Getting to week 5 is a massive achievement, and the progressions get proportionately easier from that point.

C25k is a misnomer for most women who won't manage 5k in 30 mins as a novice. I've been running 5 years now and have done parkruns quicker, but not recently!

So stick to your comfortable pace to complete C25k. Longer term, gently add more distance to add stamina. Then you can add shorter runs with faster sections to build speed. NHS C25k has 3 podcasts for after C25k which I still use years later. One is an introduction to intervals in a short session. Two are thresholds where the pace speeds up through the session.

If you cross-train, weights and explosive bursts of energy (squat jumps and burpees for example) build up the type of muscle that provides speed.

Please
or

WithAllIntenseAndPurposes · 25/02/2019 09:43

Very helpful thanks Smarmy c

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.