Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Like yoga but not Yoga exercises

Laska2Meryls · 07/01/2019 14:16

Can anyone point me to any online resources , which do the yoga poses or something like , stretches, but without the breathing/ meditation/ mindfulness/ religion-sh stuff ? .

I'm not knocking it for those who love it and do I know its supposed to be part of it all ,(and I do respect those who it works for ) but It just doesnt do it for me ..

I'd be a beginner (again) .. I did do Iyengar at evening class a while ago and quite liked that but again, the teacher wanted to include all the rest of it.

I had a look at the new yoga with Adrienne but it still seems to meditate- y..

I'd also want to do it at home on my own..

Thanks for any suggestions

OP's posts:
Please
or

Laska2Meryls · 07/01/2019 14:19

I'm a bit weird , cant do exercise classes or stuff like that with anyone else .. as I am prone to just giving up if others are doing it and i cant..

Sad but true, dont knock me ....

OP's posts:
Please
or

comeagainforbigfudge · 07/01/2019 14:23

What about the les mills body balance classes? Yoga based, but set to pop music. There is a bit of chat abput breathing, but more about rememberkng to breathe out and in at right time etc. There is a bit of "meditation" at the end. A few mins lying flat whilst the instructor talks.

Im sure you can get the videos on youtube so you could check it out and skip the end of it Wink

Please
or

sleepwhenidie · 07/01/2019 14:26

You can find yoga without the spiritual bit but breathing really is a key element!

Maybe try pilates (again breath is important) - no spiritual stuff there. Or ballet based training?

Please
or

rebelrosie12 · 07/01/2019 14:27

Pilates...it's amazing

Please
or

Parker231 · 07/01/2019 14:27

Pilates and barre concept are brilliant. I love my weekly classes and feel so much better for them.

Please
or

Laska2Meryls · 07/01/2019 14:42

Thanks for suggestions .. ill look these up .

Ive never really understood why the breathing is so important..I get the breathing in and out with the exercise of course but the i do that anyway ! its all the stuff (like Adrienne talks about) about holding/ counting breaths and 'energy lines' etc with breathing.. its that sort of thing that puts me off.. I am a confirmed non believer in any religion natural force' etc.. and so it just distracts me

OP's posts:
Please
or

Laska2Meryls · 07/01/2019 14:45

I really do not dont discount these things for others, they are just not for me , (Ive tried mindfulness with exercise etc, gave it a good go - several courses and a weekend retreat .. it made just me depressed, )

OP's posts:
Please
or

Bombardier25966 · 07/01/2019 14:50

Adriene doesn't talk about energy lines. She talks about creating a line from the spine to the head but that's good posture, limits injury risk and promotes good circulation, it's nothing to do with religion at all!

Sounds like you're letting your preconceptions get in the way and finding barriers that aren't even there.

Please
or

Laska2Meryls · 07/01/2019 14:53

I am willing to admit that may be the case.. bombardier I did about 30mins of the Dedicate one today though ..

OP's posts:
Please
or

Movinghouseatlast · 07/01/2019 14:54

Pilates!

You still have to breathe in a certain way, but that is to strengthen your core.

The breathing helps with all sorts of stuff.

Please
or

Grace212 · 07/01/2019 15:23

OP you might find Jessica Smith more suitable

She has tons of workouts on YouTube so have a look at the general stretch and relax ones as well as the ones marked yoga.

Please
or

ifeellikeanidiot · 07/01/2019 15:46

Yoga glo has loads of dif instructors doing lots different styles of yoga.

Saying that, I've been doing yoga regularly for ten years and have largely managed to avoid any spiritual, omm-type stuff.

Please
or

FuzzyShadowChatter · 07/01/2019 15:50

Adrienne does do the spiritual stuff a bit - energy bodies and all that. There was a moment today when she was going on about chakras and I may have had a grumble about wanting less chakra talk as I felt stuck in a rather uncomfortable pose while she was being all spiritually poetic. Grin I normally just let it pass over me as I quite like the rest of her style, but I can see why others might find it more annoying. I'm enjoying getting other recommendations so thanks for the post Laska2Meryls

Breathing is important partially because it uses and affects so many muscles and parts of the body - a deep breath should expand the ribs and torso out a bit in all directions, including down into the pelvic floor which is why it's recommended to be breathing in or out for certain movements, especially for those who have issues there (I learned this while in rehabilitation for some of these issues). Also, a lot of people during exertion hold their breath too long instinctively (this is seen a lot with weight lifting, but also with things like yoga and sports) which can cause issues so reminders to breath can help though not always welcome at the time (my mother, like I imagine many, often told the story of getting said reminder and responding with 'if I wasn't breathing, I'd be dead.).

Please
or

Laska2Meryls · 07/01/2019 15:52

thanks some good recommends ,Jessica Smith looks good and I have also found the Pilates for Real People downloads which look more my thing..

Glad I posted ..I may be able to make this work for me after all.. Smile

I also will check out Yoga Glo thanks ..

OP's posts:
Please
or

carrie74 · 07/01/2019 15:56

I have to say, I've been finding the Adriene Dedicate to be a little too chatty for my liking, and hoping that falls away a little, as I've really enjoyed her stuff in the past.

Sounds like you've got some alternatives lined up which is great.

Please
or

Laska2Meryls · 07/01/2019 15:58

fuzzy 'if I wasn't breathing, I'd be dead. Glad its not just me then . I bet I'm your mothers age.. Grin.

Yes its the being stuck in a pose too longs whilst supposedly thinking about breathing and meditation stuff i dont like either I just feel like saying 'just get on with the exercise, woman' (I do realise that its probably not the point with Yoga, though ..i agree)

OP's posts:
Please
or

Laska2Meryls · 07/01/2019 15:59

Me missing the whole point of Yoga , I mean

OP's posts:
Please
or

Laska2Meryls · 07/01/2019 16:00

Perhaps I should just go to Over 60's music and movement Hmm

I am over 60 but pretty active (can hill walk miles) so I dont feel quite ready for that yet ..

OP's posts:
Please
or

Visioncroquet · 07/01/2019 16:05

Try fiveparksyoga on YouTube, there are lots of classes and it isn't too spiritual either

Please
or

lljkk · 07/01/2019 16:16

doesn't breathing mostly have to do with holding the poses for a set amount of time without timing it by seconds? Also relaxing into the pose.

Yoga bores Crap out of me but I can see value of using breathing to guide the rhythm of it.

Please
or

Laska2Meryls · 07/01/2019 16:28

Visioncroquet Great recommend for fiveparksyoga.. It does look good and not 'spiritual' ... I may just be able to do the beginners or gentle one!

OP's posts:
Please
or

carrie74 · 08/01/2019 18:34

I don't know anything about it, but a Pilates teacher recommended to me has an online subscription service at £15 per month if you're interested? Corealive.co.uk

Please
or

Delatron · 10/01/2019 16:12

This is why I took up Pilates.

I also don’t like the way Yoga prizes flexibility over strength. If you’re super flexible you can get in to some of those crazy poses but do you have the strength to back it up? Also high percentages of back injuries in yoga from people pushing too far in ‘poses’

Also can’t stand the mediation, spiritual side.

Pilates is amazing for core strength but also works glutes, hamstrings, arms, legs. You progress safely as you get stronger.

Last time I went to a yoga class the teacher spent the first 10 minutes reading a poem
she’s written ffs!

Please
or

Smurfybubbles · 10/01/2019 16:14

I second five parks yoga on YouTube I love it! My husband hates all the breathing spiritual stuff and uses an app called down dog might be worth a look Grin

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.