Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Would love to be a runner but ....

Numberonecook · 16/12/2018 11:24

I am quite overweight. I would love to do the couch to 5k then build up from there but I have one problem. I not only do I have IBS but I have IBS related anxiety. If I’m not near a toilet I start to panic which in turn makes my ibs symptoms appear.

Running on a treadmill at home is not an option as our house is tiny and I can’t afford the gym. I love being outdoors but it’s ruining my life. I won’t even go walking round the park with the kids. I am getting better with therapy and I’m getting food under control so I don’t need food tips.

Does anyone else have IBS or anxiety? How do you manage? Any tips?

OP's posts:
Please
or

emummy · 16/12/2018 12:22

Could you do loops that are around your house to start with? Not very exciting but it would be a start. And then you could figure out how to manage food around exercise - some people don't eat before running, some do but wait 1-2 hours after and then run. You may find some foods are to be avoided before runs for you - I can't do porridge, I don't know why! I have coeliac, only diagnosed in my 40s so my bowel habit has never gone back to 'normal'. I rarely have problems running though, but I do go to the loo at least 3 times before I leave the house! I also know the location of every public toilet and also which bits of woodland are secluded enough if things go wrong! It really is trial and error I think. The first weeks of C25k are pretty gentle so have a go near the house and see how you get on. Good luck!

Please
or

Numberonecook · 16/12/2018 19:55

Yes I know where all thenloos are I even have an app! Grin trouble is they are quite far from my house lol. I suppose I could do round the streets first that’s a good idea.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Helenluvsrob · 16/12/2018 19:59

I run to the shops where there are toilets 😂

Please
or

heather1 · 16/12/2018 20:00

What about Nordic walking - it’s low impact. Easy to learn and burns a lot of calories.

Please
or

stayingaliveisawayoflife · 16/12/2018 20:08

I have Crohn's disease and weigh 16 stone and I run.....very slowly! I don't eat much before running and don't drink too much during. I also plot where public toilets are and if I feel it kicking off I stop.

You can do it and I actually found my symptoms improved the more regularly I ran.

Please
or

SandunesAndRainclouds · 16/12/2018 20:11

I have both IBS and anxiety, and I can hand on heart say that running has improved both. Can you start by doing loops near your house until you feel more confident?

Please
or

Elephantina · 16/12/2018 20:13

Watching with interest if you don't mind OP. I have IBS too but when I've completed C25k in the past, if I ever got the urge suddenly it would be towards the end of the run when I was cooling down and near home anyway. You just run the last bit with your cheeks clenched. Grin

These days I'm 4 stone overweight (but I'm cutting sugar and have lost some weight already), have plantar fasciitis and sacroiliitis, and chronic migraine. None of which really predispose me to be a successful runner, but maybe we could start with nordic walking!

Please
or

anotherexhaustedpigeon · 16/12/2018 22:08

I could have written your post a decade ago, OP. I wish I could tell you that once you start running you'll never look back AND all your anxiety issues will magically melt away, but that wasn't the case for me! However, I'm now stronger, happier and fitter than I ever have been, I've run two halfs (halves?!) and a full marathon and countless 10ks and my anxiety is now more or less under control. I used to run with a top that I could tie round my waist if the worst happened, and made sure I was within sprinting distance of a loo/secluded spot pretty much at all times. I've been to the toilet in so, so many weird places and yet I don't regret a single run Grin I now can't run anymore due to disability (unrelated) but the way I see it is if you want to do it, you will be able to find a way. Even if it's running up and down your street 15 times. Good luck!!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.