Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Just entered my first marathon - hit me up with your tips!

crazypiglady · 17/10/2018 18:56

I’ve been running for just over a year, have done a few 10k races, a half and just done a 16 mile but injured my knee due to tight IT band. Other than the knee injury I felt really comfortable during the 16 miles so I’m hopeful that I can get through training & the race itself without injury?! Any tips on how to prepare for a marathon? What to do? What not to do?!

OP's posts:
Please
or

emummy · 17/10/2018 20:24

Increase your mileage gradually. Have an easier week a very 3 or 4 weeks of training. Don't go over 20 - 22 miles in training. Practice your clothing and fuel before the race, don't do anything new on the day. Train for the race you are doing - if it's hilly train on hills etc. If you are tired/ill/injured then rest - you do not have to do every run on a training plan; listen to your body!
Enjoy the process - the marathon itself is like the victory lap you earn by all the training. Eat well and sleep well. And have fun! Good luck!

Please
or

emummy · 17/10/2018 20:26

Oh and do some strength training if you don't already.
Disclaimer: have run 2 marathons so not an expert!

Please
or

Grandmasterflush · 17/10/2018 20:35

Make sure you taper properly at the end, I over trained on my first two panicking I needed that extra run! Before I did London for the first time I really tapered over the last three weeks and was so strong on the day.
Don't wear new or nearly new trainers on the day - big mistake.
Don't diet and train, I found better to have the energy to train hard than limp along suffering with your tank on empty.
Finally on the day hold yourself back for the first 8 miles or so, you will want to go off like a train. Save it fo rthe end, you will need it over the last 3-4 miles.

Please
or

DiscoMoo · 18/10/2018 08:43

During training, make sure you use your rest days as rest, some cross training will help and if you can do something to work your core that will also benefit you. I’ve been having regular sports massages to help prevent niggles - once a month and then every two weeks in the run up to my marathon (which is next weekend!) Finding someone to do the long training runs with you will really help, I trained for my first marathon alone and listened to a lot of podcasts but I have since joined a running club and it’s been so much more pleasant to run with others.

I’m currently having taper terrors and maranoia! It’s normal to start doubting yourself as the day looms, but you have to trust in your training.

Invest in good running kit - your body will thank you. I’ve bought chafe free knickers, and wear the same thing for my long runs as I will for the race. I use barrier cream (or you can use Vaseline) on places that may chafe (for me the worst place is the bottom of my sports bra). You will need to fuel your long runs, experiment with what works for you - I can’t use gels so I take jelly babies, flapjacks etc. I have a running belt that holds water bottles and has a pouch for my food.

Find a good plan and follow it - some races will publish their own, otherwise Asics are generally good. I’d always recommend doing 22 miles in training so you know you only have to find another 4. Good luck!

Please
or

Sammysquiz · 20/10/2018 13:14

Well done for signing up! When is it? Agree to the advice above about fuelling yourself on the long runs and work out what suits you best - those gels have an immediate laxative effect on me! Mini Bounty bars are what works for me, but it’s trial and error to find your personal rocket fuel Grin

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.