Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Call notifications when swimming

Stanmorevisit · 05/10/2018 09:06

I need a device that will allow me to know if I recieve phone calls whilst swimming. I'm not sure if I'm best with a fit bit style device or something that waterproofs the phone. Any suggestions?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Poppins2016 · 05/10/2018 09:11

Please
or

diodon · 05/10/2018 09:13

My gym doesn't allow phones in the pool area so that may be something to factor in.

Please
or

rebelworld · 05/10/2018 09:15

There’s a Fitbit that’ll vibrate when you’re in the pool BUT surely your phone will need to be in the locker so A) you won’t be able to get there in time and B) would the Bluetooth link still work that far apart?

Please
or

Stanmorevisit · 05/10/2018 09:20

Mine is possibly theoretically the same but I have a son with SN who if is going through a bad patch school need to contact me instantly. last time hid my phone in a wash bag and just discreetly checked it but I started cutting my swim shorter and shorter because I was worried I didn't know if they'd called whilst in the pool. I ended up cancelling
The membership but Swimming is so essential to me staying fit I really don't want to go down that route again.

See I was looking at stuff like that and wondering if they still got the notifications in the water

OP's posts:
Please
or

Stanmorevisit · 05/10/2018 09:22

I'm happy to risk the phone in a wash bag on the poolside. I'm bothered whether the connectivity will still be there in the water. Do you know which fitbit?

OP's posts:
Please
or

FaithInfinity · 05/10/2018 09:26

You’d need the Fitbit Versa or Ionic - both waterproof with call notifications. Some of the other models are waterproof but without call notifications or have notifications without being waterproof. I find with my Charge 2 that it needs to be fairly close to pick up the notifications but I guess if you put it on silent in a bag by the pool side it wouldn’t bother anyone else.

Please
or

Stanmorevisit · 05/10/2018 09:44

The cost of the versa and ionic are very a bit ouchy. The cheap one looks good but is only listed as waterproof for bathing and washing hands.

Oh it's not a simple decision!

OP's posts:
Please
or

rebelworld · 05/10/2018 09:49

Have they stopped making the Fitbit Flex 2 then? That’s fully waterproof and was designed for swimming, and it vibrates when someone is calling you.

Please
or

rebelworld · 05/10/2018 09:51

Flex 2 is £49 at Argos. The catch is you can’t SEE who’s calling you because there’s no display, but you do know SOMEONE is ringing you. I was also impressed how it managed to know how many laps of the pool I’d done!

Please
or

rebelworld · 05/10/2018 09:52

More details here:

www.fitbit.com/shop/flex2

Please
or

Stanmorevisit · 05/10/2018 10:02

Hmmm.... actually that might work.... I can set do not disturb on my phone so only a small number of people can call me (basically anyone who has DS) everyone else. I wonder if that would work

OP's posts:
Please
or

twofrontteeth · 05/10/2018 11:12

Dh has the same issue as he does a job that involves being on call for long periods of time, so needs to be aware of calls as soon as they happen. He has a flex which doesn't really do the job reliably enough. It will vibrate for calls in close proximity but unless you're going to swim in small circles at one end of the pool next to your phone you risk missing calls. The range of the Bluetooth is often shorter than the length of the pool. The vibrate isn't foolproof either, if you're moving through the water you can miss feeling it altogether.

I've an Apple Watch that seems to work far better (think it works with Bluetooth and WiFi) but that's obviously more expensive. Calls come straight through. If the need is likely to be long term though, for the sake of allowing you to continue your hobby it might be worth it?

Please
or

supersqueeze · 05/10/2018 12:38

Sorry haven't rtft BUT I've just bought DH a pair of wireless Sony headphones that allow you to take calls whilst you're in the pool....

Please
or

Stanmorevisit · 05/10/2018 13:47

@supersqueeze? Have you got a link for those, ive googled but im not seeing them

@twofrontteeth thanks for info on the flex... Apple unfortunately is not an option. We have history AngryGrin

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please
or

Reaa · 05/10/2018 14:25

The newest Apple Watch is meant for use while swimming, you can also answer calls and reply to texts via the watch.

Please
or

AuntieStella · 05/10/2018 20:24

I have a Garmin 35, which is waterproof and shows when a call comes in. I'm not sure about Bluetooth range though.

You can get genuinely waterproof phone cases (sold for divers), so I suppose you could getbone of those, put your phone in it, put it in a (running-type) belt and wear it whilst you swim. Then range wouldn't be an issue.

Please
or

AnotherOriginalUsername · 05/10/2018 20:27

If you swim on a regular day/time can you not just tell the school and they can contact you via the pool?

Please
or

Stanmorevisit · 06/10/2018 08:54

Yeah I tried that with D's old primary school, thankfully they never ended up calling when I was in the pool (partly cos I ended up cutting my swim shorter and shorter) and I was worried they'd just announce it over the inaudible loud speakers. But in secondary there's too many people involved and if someone's absent you never know who going to step in, I can't say to a singular one to one I'm here try this number for the first hour and half of the day if you don't get me on my mobile.

I'm thinking the Garmin looks like a winner. Although does the Sony still take calls on the water?

OP's posts:
Please
or

chocoshopoholic · 06/10/2018 09:16

If your pool allows you to take a phone poolside you can also look at something like this

www.amazon.co.uk/Aquapac-Waterproof-Phone-Case-iPhones/dp/B0044LS7YM/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ref=plSrch&keywords=Aquapac&dpPl=1&dpID=51XkCzm1acL&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1538813624&sr=8-3

I kayak and my phone has been submerged several times. When swimming I've also put it around my neck and tucked it under the back of my bikini. I can then feel it vibrate, don't often get to it in time, but my choice to ring back.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.