Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Would swimming tone my tummy?

RainbowBriteRules · 09/09/2018 14:09

I am debating starting to go swimming a couple of times a week. I don’t want to lose weight but do want to do something about my tummy. Would swimming help?

OP's posts:
Please
or

KMoKMo · 09/09/2018 14:15

I don’t know the answer but I don’t think you can lose fat from a specific area. It would likely tone your entire body up therefore stomach as well eventually. Any exercise would be better than none and swimming is kind on the joints.

Please
or

RainbowBriteRules · 09/09/2018 14:17

I suppose toning all over wouldn’t hurt either!

OP's posts:
Please
or

redsummershoes · 09/09/2018 14:23

twice a week? probably not.
more often than that and strenuous (i.e. out of breath & aching muscles) and adjusting diet. yes probably.

Please
or

RainbowBriteRules · 09/09/2018 14:31

That is the answer I feared red! I’m not sure how to adjust my diet without losing weight everywhere though.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Eminybob · 09/09/2018 14:34

Try doing sit ups?

Please
or

redsummershoes · 09/09/2018 14:35

I don't mean this to discourage you :)
swimming is good. but maybe swimming alternating with weight training would be better for your purpose.

Please
or

divafever99 · 09/09/2018 14:37

Hi op, I went for my first proper swim in years this week. Managed 500m. My stomach muscles were aching for a good couple of days, so hopefully that's a good sign and I will be keeping it up!

Please
or

RainbowBriteRules · 09/09/2018 14:38

I could start doing sit ups actually, at least they are quick. Is there any weight training I could do at home? Can’t afford to join a gym or get a PT at the moment.

OP's posts:
Please
or

RainbowBriteRules · 09/09/2018 14:39

Oh that does seem like a good sign diva! My stomach muscles haven’t ached for months which is the problem I think!

OP's posts:
Please
or

LittenKitten · 09/09/2018 14:48

Yoga would be good for your core OP, I notice a real difference when I do it, and especially if I include the pumping breath (also called skull shining breath!) in there.

‘Yoga with Adrienne - yoga for your core’ is a good practise you can find on YouTube (makes me sore though!) and there’s another one for your pelvic floor which includes the breathing excercise at the end.

Please
or

RainbowBriteRules · 09/09/2018 14:49

Great, I will check that out thanks!

OP's posts:
Please
or

FrangipaniBlue · 09/09/2018 15:12

Planks are way better for toning your stomach than sit ups because they engage all of your abdominal muscles, sit-ups only engage the upper ones.

Check these out.....
www.coachmag.co.uk/core-exercises/6334/how-to-do-a-plank-and-build-a-core-of-steel

Swimming will tone everywhere not just your stomach, if anything you use your back muscles in swimming more than your stomach.

Please
or

RainbowBriteRules · 09/09/2018 15:19

I did the thirty day plank challenge a year or so ago and saw no difference in my tummy but maybe it is worth another go. A core of steel sounds good!

OP's posts:
Please
or

FrangipaniBlue · 09/09/2018 15:49

You've got to do variations, I think the 30day one is a bit shit and doesn't work too Smile

Please
or

FrangipaniBlue · 09/09/2018 15:51

The other thing to remember is that to be able to see your abs you have to have around 15% body fat or less, which is low!

My stomach is hard to the touch but you can't see my abs because I'm sitting at 25% body fat, which is classed as healthy/average.

I'm trying to get down to less than 20% by Christmas but I'm not holding my breath about whether I'll ever be able to see my abs 😬

Please
or

RainbowBriteRules · 09/09/2018 15:54

Ah ok I will look into variations. I don’t want to drop much body weight as don’t want to lose other curves so I know seeing abs is unrealistic. What I do need to do is lose the belly.

OP's posts:
Please
or

FrangipaniBlue · 09/09/2018 20:02

That's where I am, I'm a size 12 and quite happy this size i'd just like to drop some body fat so that my "wobbly bits" are "less wobbly" Grin

Please
or

RainbowBriteRules · 10/09/2018 22:26

That sounds like a plan!

It’s the wobbly bit at the front of my tummy that needs to go first but it never seems too!

Has anyone done one of those muffin top challenge things?

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.