Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

What next after C25K

ilovetomatoes · 17/08/2018 20:11

Finished C25K a few weeks ago. Absolutely love running now but missing the structure of the the programme. Any recommendations for what to do next? I would love to increase my speed for example. Thanks!

OP's posts:
Please
or

AuntieStella · 17/08/2018 21:01

Well done!!

Here are some ideas for improving speed:

www.runnersworld.co.uk/training/5-simple-ways-to-improve-your-5k-time

For structure, I'd recommend Parkrun on Saturdays and looking for a running group. I've found runners to be a very friendly bunch and even clubs that sound like they're full of people who know what they're doing are normally full of people of all different levels (invpcludung novices)

Please
or

ilovetomatoes · 17/08/2018 21:10

Thank you! Really helpful tips! There is a club near me so I will try to pluck up the courage to go along!

OP's posts:
Please
or

FATEdestiny · 18/08/2018 08:42

The NHS has already thought about this. They have three training podcasts for C25K graduates. It follows exactly the same format as C25K, with Laura as the training voice:

www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/couch-to-5k-plus-running-podcasts/

● 5K+ Stepping stone podcast, a 30-minute continuous run designed for recent Couch to 5K graduates.
● 5K+ Speed podcast, a 16-minute run alternating fast and slow sections specifically designed to improve your speed.
● 5K+ Stamina podcast, a 35-minute run with music to keep you running at a faster pace for longer.

After these, because I need the structure of a trainer in my ear coaching through my runs, I moved on to Audiofuel podcasts. These are free with my Spotify subscription, otherwise they are paid-got podcasts.

I very quickly moved from 5k to 10k. Now I'm working on speed and hills.

Please
or

ilovetomatoes · 20/08/2018 13:05

Thanks Fate. I will look at those podcasts!

OP's posts:
Please
or

BikeRunSki · 20/08/2018 13:09

There’s a couch to 10k app too. Not nhs, but it kind of steps back a bit from the end of C2 5K, then continues beyond it.

Please
or

JynxaSmoochum · 20/08/2018 14:40

I use the C25k+ podcasts. I increased the distance and quite quickly built up to a HM, but sometimes I like being guided through the run and not rely on my own resiliance.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.