Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Struggling with breathing/hay fever when running?

MiniCooperLover · 10/06/2018 15:05

12 weeks ago I decided to overhaul things. I'm 4 st overweight and hadn't done much in the last few years. I started doing a morning Bootcamp, a PT session focussing on stamina and weights and a couple of treadmill sessions per week in my garage. I'm def getting stronger, everything seems to be going in the right direction- back no longer as sore, 10lbs dow, up to 5K on treadmill. All good. So I joined an outdoor running group. They're incredibly supportive but I can't breath well while running outdoors. I think it's hay fever, I can't take in enough breath which means I try harder, get even less air etc and on it goes. Do I accept this as part of outdoors ru bing? Is there any way to counter the hay fever dry thick throat (I take one ta let a day). Am doing 5K in 40 mins or so right now.

OP's posts:
Please
or

FaithEverPresent · 10/06/2018 15:08

I have terrible hay fever. I get asthma from mine too so I always take my inhaler before I go and have it on me as I run. Early in the morning or in the evening are better times to run. Have you seen your GP?

Please
or

MiniCooperLover · 10/06/2018 15:18

Yes I've been doing about 9am after school drop off. I never have the breathing issues when on treadmill as that's in a cool concrete garage but it's when I attempt to run outside. The last 2 times have been terrible. I have long suspected asthma so will try and get a GP apt to talk it through

OP's posts:
Please
or

beautifulblueballoon · 18/06/2018 19:53

definitely worth checking with GP.
I have hideous hayfever fro which I am prescribed fexofenadine. I started running in Jan. I did run before but not for about 7 years.
For the last few weeks I have been really struggling with breathing whilst running. Breathless, tight chest and wheezing. Followed by a cough for about 2 hours afterwards.
I went to the GP in Friday and my peak flow reading was quite reduced - even though my chest wasn't that bad at that point. I got prescribed an inhaler and it has made a BIG difference . I managed to run 8.5 miles on Saturday without dying!

Please
or

RocketPockets · 19/06/2018 10:11

Do you breath through your nose or your mouth?
If I breath through my nose I cannot ever get enough breath, when running I have to breath through my mouth otherwise I just lose it and have to stop. The downside is that my mouth gets incredibly dry while running so I have a belt with 2 small water bottles on it. My hay fever is awful this year, take your hay fever tablet 12 hours before you'd like it to have its best effect. I tend to take mine in the evening either at dinner time or before bed and find I'm not half as bad in the morning!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.