Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Can anyone recommend a half marathon training plan? (beginner)

bibblebobblebubble · 05/04/2018 21:06

I've just signed up for my first half marathon in October. I'm currently running about 2-3 times a week, 5-7k each time.

Getting confused comparing plans online. The Runners World one says I'd need base mileage before I start of about 15-20 miles a week... that's about what I'm doing in a month! Another has runs 6 days a week which isn't realistic - also I've had some knee issues so I think I'd just end up injured.

Would love advice from anyone who's done a first HM plan that worked for them.

OP's posts:
Please
or

BlueChampagne · 06/04/2018 13:49

I did my first HM running 4x a week, 3 of which were just short commuting runs (3.5 miles) and one of which I gradually lengthened. Try to lengthen by about 10% each week, or risk injury!

Make sure you're happy with your shoes, and maybe begin to calibrate in miles rather than km so it doesn't seem to hard on the day.

Please
or

MyRunMyPace · 07/04/2018 18:49

Bupa have an intermediate and an advanced one - my friend recommended it to me, and it looks reasonable.

Please
or

MyRunMyPace · 07/04/2018 18:50

Sorry, a beginner and an intermediate one I think!

Please
or

Cornishmumofone · 07/04/2018 18:58

Three sessions a week is fine - aim for a sprints session, a hills session and a long run. You've got enough time to build up your long run by 1k a week. If you can do 4 sessions, add in a tempo run (parkrun would work for this).

It might help you to aim for a 10k race in summer... and you might find a 10 mile race 4-6 weeks before your HM.

Any cross training you can do will be helpful. If you get knee injuries then work on your glutes and core. Squats are particularly good for your glutes.

Please
or

SmallestInTheClass · 08/04/2018 22:08

I did my first on 2-3 runs a week, a parkrun, a 10k and one other session each week. In the 8 weeks before the run I increased my 10k by 2km most weeks until I was up to 20km about 2 weeks before the run. Then had a week of back to 10k. I roughly used the bupa one, but no way I could fit in 4-5 sessions of running/training a week!

Please
or

Shenanagins · 08/04/2018 22:23

I spent most of last year injured and prior to that the furthest I’d run was 10k.

However at the start of the year I roughly started following the bupa plan and now comfortably running 12 miles on my weekly long run. I’ll do two other run during the week mixing between either two short fast 5ks as I need to up my pace, or a short fast on and a 10k one.

To be honest I never thought of myself as a runner and shocked at what I’ve achieved and now can’t wait to do my first half marathon!

With your current distance you’ll be up to distance in no time!

Please
or

bibblebobblebubble · 08/04/2018 23:00

This is great thanks - really encouraging.

I haven't seen the Bupa plan but will look it up. I have a local Parkrun and I should be able to do that + long run + speed or hills run weekly, perhaps one more but that might be a squeeze. I haven't managed a proper long run for a few weeks for various reasons so I think that's what I really need to work on.

Am trying to do some strength work too, to help avoid injury. Physio has said no squats so looking for other exercises that can strengthen glutes.

OP's posts:
Please
or

BlueChampagne · 09/04/2018 16:19

Keep us posted Bibble! And surely your physion would be the best one to recommend some alternatives to squats.

Please
or

BlueChampagne · 09/04/2018 16:20

I mean physio, of course

Please
or

Synecdoche · 09/04/2018 16:34

I can also recommend the Bupa one!

Please
or

LostInLeics · 14/04/2018 17:09

Another recommendation here for the Bupa plans. They build up the milage slowly and steadily, and there is an option to replace one of the mid-week runs with a cross training session, which is a really good idea to help avoid injury.

Please
or

princessbear80 · 15/04/2018 17:58

Bupa worked for me too!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.