Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

If you regularly do weight training, how much pain are you in?

justkeeponsmiling · 28/03/2018 08:37

I started going to the gym about 3 weeks ago and bar this weekend where I had a loger break I try and go every other day. I use the weight equipment therequired to do a full body workout, followed by some stretches. Then tend to go to the steamroom for 20 minutes or so and stretch some more.
On my days "off" I feel moderately achy. On a scale of 1 - 10 maybe a 4 today but often just a 2 or 3.
So my question is: how much pain should I be in? Does a little bit of ache mean only a small amount of effort/progress? I used to to Krave Maga years ago and after some of the sessions I used to have to take Ibrufen the next day just to make it through! I have no idea what is normal and what I should be aiming for.

OP's posts:
Please
or

AlbertaSimmons · 28/03/2018 08:43

Everyone has a different response to exercise and the degree of DOMS isn’t necessarily indicative of how much effort you’ve put in or whether you should be working harder.

I exercise pretty hard and my DOMS varies enormously from day to day. It’s better to judge your progression against your ability to lift heavier, endure longer and recover faster.

Make sure you have variety in your programme so you’re balancing your lifting with compound exercises and cardio - maybe add a class such as MetaFit to your routine.

Please
or

FriendshipBraclet · 28/03/2018 08:49

I have just started weight lifting a couple of weeks ago. I have been fine the next day after each session. However DH has wrote me a new program and I went with him yesterday. He made me lift slightly heavier weights which I am surprised I managed. I also ran with my running group last night. Therefore this morning I am aching on a 4 scale. Whereas previously I hadn't really been aching.
Just realized I've not answered your question, but will the effects be seen in your strength increasing and lifting heavier?

Please
or

lljkk · 28/03/2018 09:22

My gut prejudice is that need for painkillers next day is not a good routine thing to have. You want to be below what level. I can have soreness in my legs the day after a good run (or swim, but I only feel that when cycling). Enough to notice but not enough to distract me, iyswim.

Dunno if it's valid, but the sports nutrition gurus say to eat something high protein within 1 hour of finishing a workout, to speed up muscle repair. Presumably that would mean less ache next day.

Also, can do something like yoga as wind down, or just on rest days. I read that 45 minutes of Michael Phelp's 5 hour training routine (6 days/week) was stretches.

Please
or

justkeeponsmiling · 28/03/2018 09:30

Thank you both, I don't do a lot of cardio at the moment but due to walking my dog at top speed up the mountain at the back of my house several times a week I'm reasonably fit. I might look to add a class but I don't particularly enjoy doing burpees and jumping jacks etc in a group setting so not sure yet about that one.
I do feel like I am getting stronger but I have to admit I don't memorise the weight settings on all the equipment as I go along, only some of them... Maybe I should try and keep more of a record so I can accurately measure any progress.

OP's posts:
Please
or

FriendshipBraclet · 28/03/2018 19:38

I'm like you OP I don't really enjoy classes. I have just downloaded a weight training app to keep track of my weights etc.
I'm going to start being serious after the weekend. Been reading Tim Ferris's 4 hour body and it has really inspired me to push myself.
Love the sound of having a mountain at the back of your house to trudge up with the dog!

Please
or

JustGettingStarted · 29/03/2018 05:58

I only get DOMS if I do something entirely new. It's the movement, not the effort. I lift heavy enough that I'm sometimes fatigued for a day or two, but I wouldn't describe it as pain.

Please
or

justkeeponsmiling · 29/03/2018 14:56

FriendshipBracelet what app is it? Something like that might help me keep track of my weights.
I live in Snowdonia, we have plenty of mountains to trudge up Grin

OP's posts:
Please
or

FriendshipBraclet · 29/03/2018 21:54

I'm on Android and it's called Gymrun. You can create your own workouts and add your weights and reps.

Please
or

Johnnycomelately1 · 30/03/2018 09:57

I find weight based conditioning work is worse for DOMS than heavy lifting. Agree that it’s not the best measure of effort. If you’re seeing progress in terms of what you can lift then all good. As a rule of thumb I tend to go one rep from fail/form collapse at a given weight so if you’re not finding it tough to complete the set, then you probably need to increase the weight.

Please
or

ohfortuna · 30/03/2018 11:33

Pain is fear leaving the body

Please
or

SpringNowPlease2018 · 04/04/2018 10:15

@Johnnycomelately1

"I find weight based conditioning work is worse for DOMS than heavy lifting."

ah, that's interesting. So that's why higher reps with lighter weights can sometimes give me worse DOMS?

Please
or

JustGettingStarted · 05/04/2018 09:38

Yeah, it's something to do with the kind of fuel source. Like, the oxygen in the muscles getting depleted or the glycogen or something. If the muscles are given time to recover, the lactic acid will be cleared out rather than building up.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?