Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Beginning running but can't always get out! Waste of time or not?

BamburyFuriou3 · 30/07/2017 21:55

I have 3 small children, one of whom is a clingy breastfed baby, and my DHs work hours can be erratic. I have no childcare.

I really need to get out and start exercising again for my own sanity if nothing else - I never ever have time away from the children. It's been about 6 years since I last exercised as well!

So - I can get out for a jog about 20-30 minutes maybe twice a week but it's not guaranteed, and the days will change.

Is it still worth it? Does it HAVE to be a minimum of 30minutes and HAVE to be 3x a week to be of any benefit?

Pre children I used to do circuits, step aerobics, running, swimming, sailing and cycling..

OP's posts:
Please
or

SomewhatIdiosyncratic · 01/08/2017 08:00

I started C25k when DS2 was a BFed 6 month old. It took me 5 months to complete with gaps for illness and life, but even with the month+ gap from baby having bronchiolitis/ me having a cold just a few weeks in, I was still fitter than I had been when I started. I worked through the programme but certainly not at a regular 3 runs per week. I did some repeats as my body had been very heavily impacted by pregnancy/ birth.

Yes it's well worth doing as it's a very flexible, time effective, efficient form.of exercise.

Now I'm chasing after 4/ 6 year olds on their scooters and bikes doing a decent level of keeping up Wink

Please
or

randomsabreuse · 01/08/2017 09:42

Yes. Definitely. You can always add in some indoor exercise (YouTube videos or similar) as an extra session after the kids are in bed! This really helps me still - I now run loads but DH works some weekends and is on call/working from 9am Friday to 5pm Monday so manage to slot in some exercise at least.

Please
or

runnerbean39 · 01/08/2017 09:48

Having run for 20 odd years I strongly believe any running is better than none, always!

Running twice a week, in my opinion, would basically keep you ticking over aerobically and in terms of ensuring you don't lose muscle (you will stay fit). If you stop completely, you lose both those things.

You're unlikely to make any progress however, with just running twice a week i.e. get faster. You could always run one of the two runs, maybe a 20 mins run, a bit faster and push it a bit more and you'll get just as much benefit if not more than a longer slower run.

Doesn't matter if the days change either, your body will appreciate any running that you do! Also if you run twice a week for some time, it will be a great base for you in the future when you might start to have more time on your hands for all the other exercise you used to do. If you do nothing at all and then jump back into lots of activity in a couple of years, you're more likely to get injured. So go for it 😄

Please
or

runnerbean39 · 01/08/2017 09:51

Sorry, probably too dramatic to say 'no progress' beacuse if you're starting from scratch again at the moment even with a few weeks of running twice a week, you would start to find it easier and feel fitter. Long term unlikely to make significant 'progress' is what I mean.

Please
or

SoPassRemarkable · 01/08/2017 09:57

I run twice a week only as anyone aggrevates my SI joint. In six months i've gone from being a non runner to doing 5k in 35 mins

Please
or

SoPassRemarkable · 01/08/2017 09:57

Any more not anyone.

Please
or

Winterc00kie · 01/08/2017 10:01

Yes keep going! Skipping in the kitchen or garden is always a good shout if you can't get out and the health benefits are great xx

Please
or

guineapig1 · 01/08/2017 10:13

Yes definitely try to stick at it. I have run sporadically for years - and like many go through periods where due to family life/work schedules etc actually getting out on the road more than a couple of times a week can be tricky. I have learnt that anything you can do is helpful - skipping is good as mentioned by a pp, also yoga/shred dvds or youtube vids etc - the kids quite often join in with these too!

Please
or

BamburyFuriou3 · 02/08/2017 18:39

Ok so managed 25 minutes Monday after dinner (not good for the digestion but I took an opportunity) and came home to a red blotchy baby :(

Went tonight after serving everyone dinner and left mine to go cold on the table and managed 20 minutes and baby was just getting a bit whiny. So if I leave them with dinner to occupy them it works better so I might get 3x a week!

I'm quite pleased with myself - have done no exercise other than slinging a baby / pushing toddler in buggy etc for years, yet tonight I:
Walked 1 minute
Ran (slowly) 6 minutes
Walked 1 minute
Ran (slowly) 5 minutes
Walked 1 minute
Ran 2 minutes
Walked 1 minute
Ran 2 minutes to the door. Did some stretches, and went in!

If I was doing C25K do you think I could start at week 4 with that?

OP's posts:
Please
or

BamburyFuriou3 · 06/08/2017 22:15

Today I could only get out for 15 minutes as the baby is poorly so was very whingy, but I walked for 1 minute, then jogged for 12 straight minutes! Was then rung to come home (baby wouldn't stop crying for me), so walked 1 minute on the phone and ran the 3 minutes home.
Does this still count as exercise to improve fitness even if cut short? Anyone?

Tia!

OP's posts:
Please
or

carrie74 · 07/08/2017 09:18

Of course it counts! And well done. The hardest thing is getting out the door and you're doing exactly that. It'll get easier as you're needed slightly less and you'll find the strategies if you're determined to get out (which it sounds as though you are).

I also recommend stuff you can do at home - very easy to do some weights, either body weight or some dumbells. Fitness Blender is a fantastic resource for hundreds of free videos which you can filter to your needs - length of time, what part of the body you want to work, intensity level etc. Doing weights will also help your running, so you could do strength twice a week and your 2 run sessions maybe?

Please
or

MumIsRunningAMarathon · 07/08/2017 09:30

Hire a treadmill!!

I love having the option to run on mine or go out in the streets

Please
or

BamburyFuriou3 · 07/08/2017 09:42

We have absolutely nowhere to put a treadmill - in fact we need an extension!
I've got some exercise DVDs but find it really difficult to do as children get underfoot and we have very limited space so can't do it in another room as only have the lounge with enough space to either play or exercise not both! And after they are asleep is a total no go as well - I'm knackered by then and the baby keeps waking until I'm in bed with him.
So it's running for the near future...

OP's posts:
Please
or

BamburyFuriou3 · 08/08/2017 18:51

Two questions if anyone would care to answer?

Firstly - Tonight I managed to jog for 15 minutes, walk 1, jog 6 a d could behave gone for longer but I needed to get back.
This seems a massive increase in just 2 (3?) weeks of running as my first run I could barely manage 3!
Is this usual?

Secondly - my knee has started to hurt during tonight's run. Can I stop this progressing?

Tia!

OP's posts:
Please
or

carrie74 · 08/08/2017 22:02

Sounds great, but your knee could be complaining because of too much too soon. Or your shoes may not be appropriate, or you may have a running style that puts pressure on your knees.

How old are your trainers, have you had gait analysis? I'd make sure your trainers are sorted, they make an enormous difference to my knees.

Please
or

BamburyFuriou3 · 08/08/2017 22:34

Not had hair analysis no. Not sure how I'd get it either
Trainers...um. no idea how old! Possibly 5 years? But barely worn. They weren't supermarket cheap - they are asics with air cushion heels, but nowhere near as comfy as previous pairs I've had. I'm not sure when I can afford new trainers, but certainly not this month! The kids are costing me a fortune this summer - they are all growing like crazy

OP's posts:
Please
or

RunRabbitRunRabbit · 08/08/2017 22:43

Do you stretch?

I'd see a physio sooner rather than later about the knee. If you've got a wonky gait they can help you.

You might be an under or over pronator. A video of you running would probably show it. There are masses of videos on YouTube about running issues and ways to resolve.

Please
or

BamburyFuriou3 · 08/08/2017 22:54

Yes I did stretch. I never used to have knee problems but I'm aware of it all feeling different - I had bad SPD in my pregnancies and i think its left some lingering affects :(

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.