Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Spinning whilst pregnant

lydiangel83 · 20/07/2017 15:15

Previous advice I have read said it's ok to do cardio such as spinning (low impact after all) whilst pregnant as long as you keep your heart rate reasonable. I keep mine to 140 BPM max (have a garmin) and my midwife was horrified yesterday that I am still doing it 1-2 times per week.

Any views / experience on this? I was relatively fit before pregnancy and just wanted to maintain a little really. Am 25 wks today!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Strongbeatsskinny · 20/07/2017 17:05

If it's something you've done pre pregnancy then ignore your midwife so long as your not feeling faint ect then carry on. I know women that weightlift and are doing so deep into pregnancy. I know one that now well into third trimester.

Please
or

lljkk · 20/07/2017 19:59

There's no science in (ancient) advice to restrict your HR when PG, unless you're in a high risk group. Listen to your body & keep doing what you enjoy.

Please
or

ivykaty44 · 20/07/2017 23:04

Can I ask what reasons your midwife was horrified you were doing spin 2times per week?

Please
or

tippedup · 20/07/2017 23:07

Someone in my spin class kept going pretty much until she delivered.

Please
or

wizzywig · 20/07/2017 23:09

I did it until i had my baby. I had been spinning 3 times a week beforehand though. I listened to my body though and would slow down/ stop when i had braxton hicks.

Please
or

Wolfiefan · 20/07/2017 23:11

I wouldn't start an exercise class like that in pregnancy but if it's something you've been doing for a while then why should you stop? It's hardly high impact or a contact sport!

Please
or

lydiangel83 · 21/07/2017 06:13

@ivykaty44 the reason for caution is high heart rate, i.e. If your heart rate is raised then baby's is even higher. I did spin fairly frequently before and now make sure I don't go over 140, which is aerobic zone for me, i.e. not pushing myself to max.

OP's posts:
Please
or

lljkk · 21/07/2017 17:52

Mayo Clinic advice says something different about heart rates in pregnancy (not to worry about "too high" unless in an at-risk group).

Sounds like you have a recipe which is fine for you, regardless, which is good thing.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.