Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

2 qs please - hiit and strength training

PhyllisWig · 08/05/2017 22:07

Unrelated queries:

If you are doing your own hiit plan, how slow should your slow sections be? I was trying hiit in the pool, swimming one length flat out then going really slow on the next 2 (mostly because I was proper knackered). Is this ok or should I aim for slower but not dead slow?

Secondly I currently do no strength/weights work. I don't go to the gym, just do stuff at home. I'm conscious that as I'm in my early 40s, some weight bearing exercise would be good. Are there any good body weight workouts on YouTube anyone could suggest or do I need to actually get weights? I have a dodgy knee so have to be v careful if squats and stuff.

OP's posts:
Please
or

MusicToMyEars800 · 08/05/2017 22:10

Squats should be fine just keep the weights light and make sure you keep good form, it helps if you have a mirror to do it in front of, I would say get weights, just some dumbbells should be fine, you can buy feminine ones but I just use the normal ones that men use they work just as good and you have more choice over the weight you use. Look up compound exercises with weights, they are good as they target near enough all muscle groups.

Please
or

Ringonrighthand · 08/05/2017 22:16

You could get a kettlebell, they are very good for all over body workout. You might want to try a class first tho to make sure you get your technique right. Also you can do bodyweight workouts with press ups, sit ups, mountain climbers etc. Use a chair for triceps dips, do some burpees...

To me your swimming sounds more Viit (variable intensity) than hiit (high intensity)

Please
or

Urglewurgle · 08/05/2017 22:23

If I'm doing HIIT on the treadmill I go flat-out then stop, literally jump off. I sometimes also do it on the stairmaster (vile!) and I go right down to level 1 - barely moving.

Re: weights, I started following the New Rules of Lifting for Women book (got it off amazon) and I think the same author released a more up to date book called Strong. That was a good jumping off point but a quickly ran out of weight and had to join the gym where I got a personal trainer and really haven't looked back.

It's up to you what you want to do re lifting or body weight stuff but squats are probably gonna happen! Google for videos on good form. I love squats and could just get 1 at 100k (when I weighed about 62kg - I'm currently 21weeks pg and it would probably not be a good idea!)

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.