Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

my 1st park run tomorrow - bricking it!

wickedfairy · 15/04/2016 11:23

Have recently finished c25k and have my first park run tomorrow - am absolutely bricking it! Have only run on Tarmac, this is grass. Am worried I won't be able to finish it (at all possibly, or ideally without stopping). Have managed a few 5k since finishing the app, will I be ok?

I usually run at night and the few times I have tried to run in the daytime, I have found it very difficult - possibly it's all in my head though....

OP's posts:
Please
or

paap1975 · 15/04/2016 11:25

I'm sure you'll be fine. There will be plenty of other people just like you there. Grass is more pleasant to run on than tarmac too. Also, I find the distraction of having lots going on around me makes the run go by much faster. Enjoy!

Please
or

eckythumpenallthat · 15/04/2016 11:26

You will be absolutely fine :) parkrun is so supportive and inclusive. Yes there are a handful that may well treat it like a 5k Olympic final but there a social runners, run/walkers, pram runners people that just walk. It's fab! Take it at your own pace don't put pressure on yourself and enjoy being out in the fresh air for a bit :)

Please
or

mumsnitter · 15/04/2016 15:14

Park Run is lovely - you will so be fine, there are people of all ages and paces there. Have fun !!!

Please
or

mumsnitter · 15/04/2016 15:15

well done with the C25K too

Please
or

CMOTDibbler · 15/04/2016 15:20

You'll be fine. I go to a big parkrun, and last week the fastest person went round in 17.59, the last 53.29, and they all got clapped and told well done (I was doing finish tokens, so I saw it all) the same.
Listen to the race briefing, don't go off too fast, and enjoy it!

Please
or

wickedfairy · 15/04/2016 19:51

Thank you all! It's been pouring here all day and the park run was cancelled last week due to mud and potential ground damage. Here's hoping it isn't tomorrow. Will update afterwards!

OP's posts:
Please
or

wickedfairy · 16/04/2016 12:59

I did it! It was a mud bath and I was very tired towards the end but finished in just over 33minutes, so very pleased! Smile

OP's posts:
Please
or

FlightlessBird · 16/04/2016 15:38

Well done!
Same again next week?

Please
or

cheapandcheerful · 16/04/2016 15:41

Ahh well done! That's the same as my first ever parkrun time! I'm aiming for under 30 minutes by September... :)

Please
or

cheapandcheerful · 16/04/2016 15:42

I recently switched to my new local parkrun which is also grass and I really recommend investing in some trail shoes if you plan to make it a regular thing.

Please
or

CMOTDibbler · 16/04/2016 16:11

Well done! Did you enjoy going?
Trail shoes are a good investment - both for the grip and they dry much better as well

Please
or

wickedfairy · 16/04/2016 16:29

I am going next week but unfortunately can't make every week due to mine and DHs work commitments, which is a shame.

Still, I plan to go whenever possible and continued with my own runs too. Got to get fit! Thanks for the support!

OP's posts:
Please
or

swampytiggaa · 16/04/2016 18:42

Well done! I did my second parkrun today - third ever run outside. I took two minutes off my total and finished in 33.30 minutes.

Please
or

wickedfairy · 17/04/2016 13:57

Wow Swampy, 2 minutes quicker is amazing! Well done!

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.