Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

What sort of massage do I need??

lavendersun · 16/10/2015 08:49

Posted here for advice from people who keep fit/use their muscles!!

I have an old neck injury, broken neck 20 years ago which meant that I had to wear a 'cage' contraption for three months after which the muscles in my neck had seized up/wasted away.

Have had lots of physio over the years, tried Alexander technique, yoga, osteopath and chiropractor. Physio and yoga helped when it was new/acute, other things less so.

I am cycling for 6-8 hours a week these days and finding that my trapezius and whatever is underneath that is really sore after a ride, particularly on my right as I turn to look for traffic. I am very aware, think of my neck/try to keep it in a neutral position when I am riding, but it is still hurting. Mind you it hurts if I lift anything higher than my chest and hurts in daily life so not massively surprising.

I am doing my stretches daily but thought I would try massage therapy, thinking of a sports type massage but have no idea really as I have never gone in for anything like that. Not sure whether to do that or just try to find a physio.

Can anyone tell me what has helped them with an old injury?

Thanks.

OP's posts:
Please
or

HellKitty · 16/10/2015 09:01

DP had a motorbike accident 15 years ago, he broke his ankles and wrists and had neck damage. He went for physio which didn't help and was on diclofenic (sp?) for years. I have been with him five years and was trained in shiatsu (like acupuncture) with more of an emphasis on sports massage and muscle work. It took a couple of years to persuade him to let me 'have a go'.

I worked mainly on the muscles around his shoulder blades and where the spine meets the neck. With then some gentle massaging around the neck (sides and back). He vomited the first time which freaked him out - it's natural, honest! He crashed out in bed and woke up with no pain. I now have to treat him about once every 6/8 months. I have a drawer full of diclofenic unused. When he gets pain now it's nowhere near as bad.

Disclaimer! He is not woo, I am an aethist and believe that it's is muscle manipulation rather than magic smagic. I would totally recommend a sports massage therapist BUT they will probably (should) want to see an X-ray first. I would for an accident like yours.

Please
or

lavendersun · 16/10/2015 09:17

magic smagic Grin.

Thank you, yes definitely no woo here, I did actually use that in my OP but deleted it as I didn't want people jumping on that bit!!

I did have a bit of acupuncture once, an osteopath was trained in it. Didn't mind it.

Mine was C2, broke but didn't move thankfully. Fell off a young horse.

OP's posts:
Please
or

suzannecaravaggio · 17/10/2015 09:30

Ime it's not just a matter of finding the right therapy, it's also (and perhaps more) a question of finding the right therapist, because, well I suppose your Chakras have to be spinning synchronously and your auras need to be colour co ordinated.

Joking, but I am very open minded about that side of things.

I wonder if yoga could help you, I don't mean anything extreme but in many ways it seems to me to be a form of self massage.

Very interesting about your shiatsu practice ?Hellkitty!

Please
or

suzannecaravaggio · 17/10/2015 09:35

My best results have been with a physiotherapist, have tried sports massage, osteopathy and chiropractic for lower back problems

Please
or

HellKitty · 17/10/2015 10:16

Thanks Suzanne! Different schools have different ways of teaching and I was lucky ours was so strict and covered more than I expected. When I set up on my own I had a few rugby playing coppers as clients as no one 'hurt' them as much as me! Confused

I think that was a good thing!

Please
or

suzannecaravaggio · 17/10/2015 10:50

May I ask where you trained Hellkitten?I've always been attracted to the idea of doing something like that

(Whether or not I could make a success of it is of course an entirely different matter!)
?
I do think that some people have healing abilities, that doesn't have to be a magical / mystical thing, it can be to do with empathy and having a calm soothing manner etc?

Please
or

HellKitty · 17/10/2015 10:59

I'll message you. My colleagues/became lifelong friends who trained with me were fairly 'woo' but most of them have set up by themselves successfully with an emphasis on 'woo'!

Please
or

suzannecaravaggio · 17/10/2015 11:06

oh, thats very kind :)
thank you Hellkitty!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.