Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Can I run if my abdominal muscles are still seperated after pregnancy?

BitandBot · 09/07/2015 19:50

I have 4 children and a rectal divarication. I think you can fit 4 fingers in the gap in my abdominal muscles. My core is non existent and pelvic floor weak.
After my second baby I was told Pilates was guaranteed to fix it. Unfortunately it made little difference to the gap.
A physiotherapist has told me surgery is the only answer but it's too expensive. She told me NEVER to run as she said with no core I would end up badly injuring my back by running.
What do you think. I need to get fit and lose a couple of stone. I don't have time for classes or the money for a gym so as hoc running makes sense.

OP's posts:
Please
or

CordeliaFoxx · 09/07/2015 19:56

I would listen to the physio. My stomach isn't as bad as yours, and was told no sit ups, crunches etc. I look at my friends nice tones stomachs with envy, I find loosing very much weight makes it look worse too ????

Please
or

museumum · 09/07/2015 19:59

Have you tried Tupler technique? This blog seems to suggest running is ok with Tupler. I think even if the gap doesn't close if you do Tupler religiously you'll strengthen all the other muscles enough to support you.
You might find running with a weak pelvic floor unpleasant though.

Please
or
Please
or

museumum · 09/07/2015 20:04

How about cycling or power walking for now alongside post partum specific core work?

Please
or

BitandBot · 09/07/2015 20:29

Thanks will look at the link. The thing is I think I'm beyond repair. It's been like this since my second baby 10 years ago. He was huge plus i had a cs. Am only short. I have got a book on the Tupler technique. Need to dig it out.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.