Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

Thoughts on using facemasks again....as numbers rise

384 replies

Kcc73 · 29/09/2022 07:08

So....numbers of covid (along side other cold/flu viruses) and rising quickly.
I have had cold/sore throat/feeling fatigue - but not covid - after 7 days still can't shake it off. I am not that 'ill' and just getting on with what I have to do BUT my health generally not great and a) the thought of getting covid /or/and flu , plus all these more minor colds , and b) probably worse - the thought of my hubby or teens getting covid/flu (and they probably less careful/mindful re washing hands etc) and the impact of that alone! is beginning to get me in a spin (I suffer with chronic condition that doesn't make me cev but I have high fatigue and pains at best of times).

Yes, I do suffer with anxiety (but have reasons to justify) but as it becoming more evident that we heading into another wave, what is reasonable to do , looking at the measures we used in past - when it was kind of mandatory - that can do now?? I want , and have started wearing face mask in supermarkets . I want to ask my teens to wear facemask on public transport but because no one else, well few, are doing this, feel I can't impose this and don't want to pass on anxieties to them.

BUT I know as 'mum', that if (when) family get sick, it will fall to me to a lot more , which don't get me wrong, I do want and feel should do, - but my stance is let's try and do whatever we can to reduce likelihood or getting sick - or preparing for the worst. I am NOT going to be stopping life; but as we head into winter again I am getting worried. Hubby away for weekend with friends and now it's back to thinking 'oh expect he will bring back covid '.

So wish really there were some more mandatory mitigations tbh. I know a lot will shout me down about this. I don't think we should lockdown before anyone thinks then. Just we are a culture of 'followers' and when fold started wearing masks, it made others accept wearing ok, and when it no longer mandatory, if still wearing one you felt odd! Wondered if others starting to wear masks again or doing anything else? (apart from get vaccinated which for most won't be for a while; my appointment is late Oct as I have another health condition).

Long woffly message. Sorry!

Kc

OP posts:
Please
or

LatinLottie · 29/09/2022 07:10

FFP-2 masks yes. flimsy fabric ones no.

Please
or

MrsPerfect12 · 29/09/2022 07:10

I won't, unless you buy medical grade it's completely pointless anyway.

Please
or

NewYorkLassie · 29/09/2022 07:10

No, I don’t think we should. But you wear one if you want.

Please
or

ArcticSkewer · 29/09/2022 07:11

Would you expect your children to be ill with covid?

Please
or

KangarooKenny · 29/09/2022 07:13

No, you can’t expect your kids to wear a mask on the bus as they could catch a cold/covid elsewhere.
If you want to wear a mask that’s fine, wear it, and get help for your health anxiety.

Please
or

IncessantNameChanger · 29/09/2022 07:15

We recently had covid and everyone caught it. All 6 of us. So one child gets ill and we was all ill. On that basis, masks seems pointless. My sons had covid twice and we didn't catch it I had covid in 2020 pre vaccine and no one caught it. It just seems so much more contagious now

Please
or

nomistake · 29/09/2022 07:18

Numbers were higher when the face mask mandate was in place. They were pointless.

Please
or

CloseYourEyesAndSee · 29/09/2022 07:19

No. You should accept that sometimes your children will get ill and that's part of life. Stop catastrophising it.

Please
or

SirSamVimesCityWatch · 29/09/2022 07:21

Nope. Pointless.

Please
or

cinnabongene · 29/09/2022 07:22

If you want to wear a pointless bit of cloth over your face, then crack on. Personally I’ll take my chances without and enjoy breathing in some fresh, crisp autumn air

Please
or

AuntieMarys · 29/09/2022 07:24

As others have said....you wear one, but get a proper mask. I won't be wearing one.

Please
or

Kcc73 · 29/09/2022 07:24

ArcticSkewer · 29/09/2022 07:11

Would you expect your children to be ill with covid?

Not sure what you mean?? Both have had it once (at different times to each other). They were ill; flu like for a week. And this variant seems to be really affecting folk (though know for many it's just a sniffle). And both in final year gcse/a'level .

OP posts:
Please
or

Kcc73 · 29/09/2022 07:26

IncessantNameChanger · 29/09/2022 07:15

We recently had covid and everyone caught it. All 6 of us. So one child gets ill and we was all ill. On that basis, masks seems pointless. My sons had covid twice and we didn't catch it I had covid in 2020 pre vaccine and no one caught it. It just seems so much more contagious now

Yes - similarly, both my teens had covid but at different times and dh & I didn't test positive . Deep down I think I just have to accept what will be will be; just have this other part of me that feels need to take some control and reduce chances of getting it. But your post is a reminder how random covid is.

OP posts:
Please
or

Kcc73 · 29/09/2022 07:30

CloseYourEyesAndSee · 29/09/2022 07:19

No. You should accept that sometimes your children will get ill and that's part of life. Stop catastrophising it.

I think before making such statements, mumsnetters need to consider that people have other reasons to be more concerned and reaching out for constructive support.

The impact of illness can vary on a persons/family situation.
My dd now 17 has had severe OCD since 5 and spent 18 mth in hospital with it during her young childhood and covid made it worse again and threatened greatly her future and missed a lot of education. I know I didn't say this in original post but a lot of the worry is the secondary affects of covid on my dd and us as a family.

I admitted I do have health anxiety to an extent.

OP posts:
Please
or

Overthebow · 29/09/2022 07:35

No, illness is a part of life and we need to accept this. You can wear a mask if you like op, but I certainly won’t be. Aside from the fact that the standard material ones don’t do a lot, they are bad for young children’s development and I won’t have my toddler seeing me in a mask again.

Please
or

Kissingfrogs25 · 29/09/2022 07:44

Absolutely no chance. Utterly futile - they don't work.

Please
or

Redqueenheart · 29/09/2022 07:58

I always thought these flimsy, basic masks were pointless and never wore them.

No intention of wearing one now.

I just had my latest Covid jab this week and I continue to use hand sanitiser. That's all I am doing.

I have never had Covid despite living in London where it has always been rife and being in contact with people who were diagnosed shortly after.

We just have to accept that the virus will come back every autumn/winter just like the flu does.

Please
or

Snugglemonkey · 29/09/2022 07:59

There is no point in mask wearing. I am still annoyed that we were forced to for so long when the evidence is clear that only medical grade masks make a jot of difference. It was incredibly damaging to young children, discriminated against the deaf, gave people a false sense of security and made them have closer contact than when not mask wearing and made life far more unpleasant than it needed to be at an already stressful time.

I have zero support for mandatory mask wearing, or lockdowns. I cannot think of a single mandatory measure I would support. I am sorry you have health anxiety, I realise many do given recent events, but you need to sort that through therapy, not by removing the rights of other people, especially your children. Let them live normally!

Please
or

KassandraOfSparta · 29/09/2022 08:08

You can wear whatever masks you please. As long as you are aware that unless you have the super duper FP whatever ones they are doing nothing to protect you as masks were always about stopping you spreading anything to other people.

Completely unfair to ask teenagers to wear masks to reassure your anxiety. Or anyone else, for that matter.

Please
or

lannistunut · 29/09/2022 08:09

I'm back to wearing FFP2 masks on the bus again and will in the doctor's surgery etc.

Please
or

Luxurysleuth007 · 29/09/2022 08:12

I also have a cold that started with the worst ever sore throat then progressed to sneezing, coughing and more snot that I’ve ever had in my life. Had it almost 2 weeks now and still not right. Done umpteen covid tests all of which are negative. As for masks it’s difficult because unless it’s medical grade and everyone does so then you’re wasting your time.

Let’s see how we get on this autumn though.

Please
or

megletthesecond · 29/09/2022 08:15

I still do. It reduces the risk a bit. I don't want to pass anything to other people and I'm too busy to be ill.

Please
or

CatAlice · 29/09/2022 08:34

I currently have covid. Feeling pretty grim but not in a life threatening way. Last year I was seriously ill and in hospital. I am vulnerable due to health conditions and qualify for anti virals.
The only time I will wear a mask now is when flying.

Almost everyone I know who has gone abroad this year has caught covid. I've always caught respiritory viruses when I fly and don't relish the prospect of a precious holiday ruined, or worse still ending up in a foreign hospital. We all wore FFP3, which does protect the wearer, on our flight and were fine.

Please
or

PaperPalace · 29/09/2022 08:37

I think it should be up to the individual.

Please
or

VanCleefArpels · 29/09/2022 08:38

Luxurysleuth007 · 29/09/2022 08:12

I also have a cold that started with the worst ever sore throat then progressed to sneezing, coughing and more snot that I’ve ever had in my life. Had it almost 2 weeks now and still not right. Done umpteen covid tests all of which are negative. As for masks it’s difficult because unless it’s medical grade and everyone does so then you’re wasting your time.

Let’s see how we get on this autumn though.

I’m quite reassured to read this as I’ve had the cold from hell for nearly a week now with exactly the same symptoms!!

on masks my son who lives and works in London reports noticeably higher mask use on public transport - I think people are doing what makes them feel more comfortable

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?