Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

How long will I show as positive on a PCR test? Due to fly next Thursday and need negative PCR

35 replies

poodlingaround · 19/07/2022 12:29

Hi

I tested positive for Covid yesterday. Not sure when I 'caught' covid exactly but felt run down over the weekend.

I am double vaccinated but need to have a negative PCR to fly abroad next week (as destination requires triple vaccination or negative PCR).

Am I likely to still show as positive on a PCR by next Tues/Weds?

Thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

greenacrylicpaint · 19/07/2022 12:32

quite likely to still test positive.

does the travel destination accept recovery certificate? buf even for that it would be tight. it's possible to test positive ltf for 2 weeks.

sorry, you need to check your travel insurance.

Please
or

poodlingaround · 19/07/2022 12:35

Certificates of Covid recovery are not accepted and I don't have travel insurance either Confused

OP posts:
Please
or

LolaJ87 · 19/07/2022 12:44

PCR tends to show positive a lot longer than rapid antigens do. If the option to go if you're triple jabbed is there, could you book a booster for Monday? You should be over Covid and any jab side effects before travel that way.

Please
or

poodlingaround · 19/07/2022 12:58

Apparently you have to wait 4 weeks from covid to have booster.

I'm stumped aren't I?

OP posts:
Please
or

Akite · 19/07/2022 13:04

Does the destination definitely not accept a proof of recovery? Can you contact the relevant body directly to find out? We travelled abroad last week and the guidance on our destination was very confusing with the UK gov source saying something different to other online sources so in the end I emailed the government tourist office of the destination to get up-to-date info. All of the online sources were out of date in various ways so they were all wrong. Where we are accepts full vaccination, negative PCR within 5 days of travel or if you have a positive PCR within 5 days, then proof of recovery.

Please
or

Akite · 19/07/2022 13:05

Oh also. The full vaccination had to be completed 2 weeks + from the time of travel so even if you could get a booster now, it may not count anyway.

Please
or

LolaJ87 · 19/07/2022 13:05

I hadn't thought of that... seems you're in a bit of a bind alright 🙁I hope you manage to get some money back...

Please
or

poodlingaround · 19/07/2022 13:27

Pretty sure Morocco doesn't accept proof of recovery certificates.

OP posts:
Please
or

Akite · 19/07/2022 18:17

Yes, looks like you are right for Morocco. Sorry, what a bummer. Are you insured?

Please
or

Akite · 19/07/2022 18:18

Oh sorry just noticed you said you don't have insurance. Could you see if you can change the dates of travel for an admin fee?

Please
or

poodlingaround · 19/07/2022 23:03

Can't change dates of travel unfortunately as I am part of a large group going away for a friend's bday.

OP posts:
Please
or

pinklavenders · 20/07/2022 11:57

Unfortunately likely to still be positive on PCR test. You could ask the airline for a voucher to use at a later date?

Please
or

Cookerhood · 20/07/2022 22:09

I'd say you'd almost certainly still be positive as they say you can be for up to 90 days (DH was for almost that long).

Please
or

TheTeenageYears · 20/07/2022 22:40

Order a nasal irrigator with saline sachets and start using several times a day asap. Gargle with saline and change your toothbrush on about day 5. It's your best chance to a speedy negative PCR.

Please
or

Fadeout83 · 21/07/2022 11:41

do They only take pcr? Japan also requires a negative pcr OR a quantitative antigen test (not lft). Pcr will be positive for a while but the quantitative antigen test goes negative after about 10 days. Worth looking into.

Please
or

PrisonerofZeroCovid · 21/07/2022 11:56

You may get lucky. I live in HK and this is a constant issue because need negative PCR to get back in and if you cant get back in on schedule could be months before get another chance. I know a fair few people who have cleared a PCR in a week to 10 days. Of course I also know people who haven't but it's definitely possible.

Please
or

Watapalava · 23/07/2022 14:04

Have you tested positive on lft? If so there will be no record to evidence your positive result do just go and get your booster. They can’t prove anything

Please
or

Watapalava · 23/07/2022 14:05

Boosters are valid from the day you have them

it’s second vax that’s 14 days

get your booster you’ll be able to travel

Please
or

nonstoprenovation · 23/07/2022 14:08

Get your booster fast and also Morocco are waving people in and not checking paperwork, my DD just returned after a similar panic.

They are saying on websites it's all strict in reality they aren't.

Please
or

Mindymomo · 23/07/2022 16:45

You cannot have a booster if you are testing positive, you have to wait 28 days after.

Please
or

Watapalava · 23/07/2022 17:36

You can if no one knows you have tested positive

which no one does now pcr are gone

I had mine 10 days post covid

Please
or

poodlingaround · 23/07/2022 17:52

Well I'm negative on LFT today so who knows what my forthcoming PCR will show.

If I do have the booster, how long before it shows on my NHS app?

OP posts:
Please
or

DivorcedAndDelighted · 23/07/2022 17:59

I have a research background in this area and had to look into it for my own travelling. Average time to test negative on PCR is 14-17 days from first symptoms. However, plenty of people will clear a bit sooner, some as early as 10 days. A minority will test positive on PCR for more than 30 days.

Can you take a lateral flow test instead? Most places accept these notes, I thought.

Please
or

Watapalava · 23/07/2022 18:20

It shows up within 24 hours usually

Please
or

Watapalava · 23/07/2022 18:22

If you do go for the pcr do a rapid turn around - 3 hour one
tgese are way more likely to show negative as not processed for as long

ive known people test negative 7 days after an lft

if I were you tho there’s no way I’d rely on Oct I’d be getting my booster so you are guaranteed to go

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?