Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

Are anyone else's kids getting distressed with all the testing?

154 replies

musicalfrog · 04/11/2021 06:48

Our LA has asked that all children ages 2 and up are LF tested twice weekly.

My child age 8 hates getting tested, we've done it about 5 times in as many weeks due to symptoms and close contacts, every time it's been negative. I really don't want to put my kids through it any more. Anyone else feeling the same?

OP posts:
Please
or

GoodnightGrandma · 04/11/2021 06:49

No, I’m happy to do my bit for the greater good.

Please
or

Sproglette · 04/11/2021 07:01

@musicalfrog
One of our DC hated it until the lady at the testing centre told them to pick their nose with the cotton bud. That help a lot! Now they are happy to do it

Please
or

Backofbeyond50 · 04/11/2021 07:02

Ours is asking 7 years up to do LFT daily if close contact. I know it makes sense but worry have my ND child's will cope. Older NT child absolutely fine.
Fingers crossed she won't need too.

Please
or

Totallydefeated · 04/11/2021 07:04

My 6 year old hates it to the point of being terrified and crying her eyes out. No way would I be testing her that often.

Don’t understand why we don’t have a less uncomfortable and invasive test yet, particularly for children as it’s well known some of them find it traumatic.

Please
or

FlorenceWintle · 04/11/2021 07:05

Just don’t do it. No one will be checking and it’s absolutely your right not to.

Please
or

fungussingstheblues · 04/11/2021 07:07

What do the chemicals do to the nose lining?

Please
or

Wellbythebloodyhell · 04/11/2021 07:07

Don't do it OP! Originally primary age dc were advised not to regular LFT. I dont LFT my 6yo however I do LFT the rest of the household twice a week i have too for work anyway and older dc are in secondary in the hope that if 6yo is asymptomatic positive he would have passed it on to at least one of us or if we are asymptomatic positive we could try stop the spread to him and his class. If he had symptoms or one of us tested positive only in that circumstance would I then PCR the 6yo.
Ignore all the sanctimonious "I'm doing it for the greater good" clap trap, that ship sailed ages ago. If your dc don't mind regular lft that's great carry on, but if they do then simply don't do it and find an alternative that suits your family.

Please
or

Invasionofthegutsnatchers · 04/11/2021 07:08

Just don't do the tests. They are so inaccurate anyway.

Please
or

Pootle40 · 04/11/2021 07:13

@musicalfrog

Our LA has asked that all children ages 2 and up are LF tested twice weekly.

My child age 8 hates getting tested, we've done it about 5 times in as many weeks due to symptoms and close contacts, every time it's been negative. I really don't want to put my kids through it any more. Anyone else feeling the same?

No because I've never tested the, and won't be
Please
or

TheChip · 04/11/2021 07:18

Just dont do it. If they have symptoms get a pcr. If the lft comes back positive then you need to send for a pcr anyway.

Please
or

usernotfound0000 · 04/11/2021 07:25

I certainly wouldn't be doing regular testing on young children. My youngest is nearly 3 and at nursery, she has had to be tested quite a few times due to usual nursery bugs and she is hysterical each time. I absolutely hate doing them to her and certainly wouldn't start doing them if she had no symptoms.

Please
or

DappledThings · 04/11/2021 07:39

I have a 3 and 5 year old. 5 year old has had one LFT, 3 year old has had one LFT and one PCR. It was horrendous. They both sobbed and were terrified of it. Didn't matter how much we examined it, did it calmly, let them see us do it any of it. No way I would be doing that regularly.

Please
or

rrhuth · 04/11/2021 07:41

I think everyone gets a bit sick of it. You have to make a judgment about whether your child can cope, if they can that is great, if they really can't then you would rightly prioritise their wellbeing.

Please
or

carolinesbaby · 04/11/2021 09:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

LabiaMinoraPissusFlapus · 04/11/2021 09:20

Don't do it. I don't.

Please
or

CanIPullYouForAChat · 04/11/2021 09:23

My nearly 3yo has had multiple PCRs. Every one was horrendous and he gets so distressed. He recognises the test centre now and cries on the way in. We have to pin him down to do it and it makes me feel awful.

No way would I do LFs on him at home.

Please
or

randomsabreuse · 04/11/2021 09:25

Mine were starting to get distressed then we upped the ante on the bribery and now their ok with it...

Please
or

MarshaBradyo · 04/11/2021 09:27

I didn’t realise dc so young have been asked to do this

I’d not if it causes that much stress

Please
or

changingstages · 04/11/2021 09:43

It must be hard for little ones. We've only just started doing LFT (huge rise in cases round here so primary school have asked for tests to be done twice a week if possible) - husband and I have been doing it all along for work; DD has had 2 PCRs, one which she found very upsetting last year, when she was 9, and one very recently where they got her to do it herself and that helped a lot. So we've got her to do the LFTs herself, under close supervision obviously, and that's made it waaaay better. I woudn't say she likes it, but she does like the 'science' bit where we wait for the results!
I do understand why you wouldn't put a small or neurodiverse child through it, though. But I think if you're in an area where cases are high and you can do it, it's worth doing.

Please
or

firef1y · 04/11/2021 09:46

I'm guessing you're in the same county as me. Well no I won't be testing either of my children 2xweek. I think it's a horrendous idea and when I saw the ad they had put on fb I felt like commenting "meanwhile in Wales they are saying not to test under 5s unless specifically requested by doctor"

My 11yo is autistic with sensory processing issues, I've tried doing just the nose, but he's prone to nosebleeds and his nose bled on and off for 36hours afterwards (yes I was gentle and didn't push it up too far before I get those comments again).
The 8yo has had 2 pcrs, I literally had to hold him down while he screamed blue murder and he threw up over the car at the thought of the swab down his throat.

Instead I test myself 3x week (and more often atm cos I've had a cold, it is a cold pcr was negative).
I'm not putting my children through what, for them, is torture twice a week.

Please
or

Narutocrazyfox · 04/11/2021 09:47

Ha ha ha. I wouldn't do this, at all. FFS. I've tested my eldest, once, since the beginning of the pandemic. There's no way I'd subject them to testing unless genuinely required.

Please
or

MarshaBradyo · 04/11/2021 09:48

Just noted 2 and up

I would not do this with my three year old

Please
or

Iggly · 04/11/2021 09:50

It’s kind of the reality of still being in a pandemic then.

People can’t have it both ways of refusing to have sensible mitigations in place vs not testing.

The LFT tests are just up the nose. Not a big deal.

Please
or

astoundedgoat · 04/11/2021 09:51

Mine are highly entertained by it. I think they'll take your lead, emotionally. If you treat it as this hilarious thing and chase the around the house etc., it's fun. If you look at the seriously and tell them it's really important and you know they hate it, etc.etc. then they'll assume it's awful.

That said, I wouldn't test a 3 year old. We have to do lateral flows all the time, but I honestly don't think they pick up a thing in any kind of useful way. Both my kids had covid, and the lateral flows didn't notice it until the day AFTER their symptoms had eased off. (Obv they tested positive on PCR tests).

Please
or

Silverswirl · 04/11/2021 09:51

Don’t do it. No one can make you or your children take a test ever!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?