Mumsnet Logo
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

Covid

Non essential travel - will you cancel?

62 replies

housepurchaseanger · 17/03/2020 17:14

Will you cancel your holidays even if the flight is still departing and there's no specific restriction on the country?

Surely insurance won't cover it?

OP posts:
Please
or

ScatteredMama82 · 17/03/2020 17:19

I would, the risk of getting stuck there is too great.

Please
or

SnoozyLou · 17/03/2020 17:20

You won't have any choice.

You do realise some of those who died are people who came back from holiday. Another was traced back to the same restaurant as someone had come back from North Italy.

Every sympathy with people who have lost their holiday. Zero sympathy for anyone who would go now though for try sake of not "losing" their money.

Please
or

Vargas · 17/03/2020 17:20

When for? If in the next few weeks then definitely, you might struggle to get back.

Please
or

halcyondays · 17/03/2020 17:24

The Foreign Office has finally advised against all non-essential global travel so insurance won’t cover any foreign holidays. They should have done this sooner, lots of people are now stuck abroad.

Please
or

Poppydaisies · 17/03/2020 17:27

Of course we are cancelling. Way too risky not to.

Please
or

w00dlander · 17/03/2020 17:32

Not cancelling Wales holiday unless travel is banned.

It's to a secluded place where we can be alone for the week and see no one.

I wouldn't risk flying anywhere though.

Please
or

LIZS · 17/03/2020 17:36

Cancelled accommodation in Scotland but flights may be trickier. All but essential travel is restricted.

Please
or

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig · 17/03/2020 17:36

They’re saying all non essential travel. I’m assuming that also means UK holidays? We’re supposed to be going away at Easter. I’m sure it won’t be any worse there than at home but I can’t see much point in going if everything is shut.

Please
or

wouldyouadamandeveit · 17/03/2020 17:39

No, not UK people travelling in the UK. The advice relates to travelling abroad.

Please
or

Poppydaisies · 17/03/2020 17:43

I understand it to mean ANY travel, even within the UK?

I thought the aim is for everyone to isolate themselves as much as possible to avoid spreading the virus.

In France people aren't even allowed to leave their homes without permission!

Please
or

brendansbuddy · 17/03/2020 17:50

Does the new advice mean our insurers will now pay out? My airlines still messaging me saying they're flying us...??

Please
or

GardenersDelight · 17/03/2020 17:57

Does that mean uk travel is ok? I'd planned to visit my mum this weekend and worry if I don't go she may not be around for me to visit in 18 months time

Please
or

Bargebill19 · 17/03/2020 17:58

Yes we will. Work/home and home/work will
be it for us.

Please
or

SeasonallySnowyPeasant · 17/03/2020 18:01

Yes, no honeymoon for us. I’m hugely relieved. I was worried sick that we’d get out there and be stuck or one of the DC would get ill and we wouldn’t be able to get back.

Please
or

AuntieStella · 17/03/2020 18:01

It's FCO advice about foreign travel.

It doesn't tell us anything at all about what to do within UK

We weren't going away over Easter this year, but were planning on seeing both sets of grandparents. One set would prefer we did not come. Other set will decide nearer the time.

Please
or

YessicaHaircut · 17/03/2020 18:12

We will be cancelling our booked week in North Devon. I’m 26 weeks pregnant, my mum is coming with us and she has had cancer treatment, and none of us drive so would have to get a train then a bus to get there. Luckily we took out cancellation cover when we booked so will get 2/3rds of our money back, we are leaving it until the day before we’re due to go though in case the holiday park closes as then will get full refund and can go another time. I’d not be considering going abroad at the moment even if I wasn’t pregnant as surely the risk of getting stuck somewhere is high right now.

Please
or

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig · 17/03/2020 20:22

Dh is now saying that if the advice doesn’t change we should still go on our UK break at Easter. We’re driving ourselves, we’re staying in a really rural cottage and we tend to do lots of outdoors things anyway.

Please
or

PinkSparklyPussyCat · 17/03/2020 20:25

We've cancelled our short break at the weekend but we're still hoping to be able to go away in the UK in May, although that will obviously depend on the situation at the time.

Please
or

Sirzy · 17/03/2020 20:28

I have cancelled a break in the lakes this weekend.

I am meant to be going to a haven site during Easter and while I am waiting to see what comes out officially from them I won’t be going.

My MIL has been visiting for the last month from France and was due to fly back this week. At this moment in time we have no idea when she will actually be able to get back

Please
or

housepurchaseanger · 17/03/2020 22:15

We were going to Maldives but they've banned UK entry now!

OP posts:
Please
or

LadyTiredWinterBottom2 · 17/03/2020 22:22

Bo Jo said don't travel. I take that to mean don't travel.

Please
or

LittleCabbage · 17/03/2020 22:23

We were going to somewhere else in UK over Easter. Have cancelled. Even though it was rural and we could have isolated ourselves, someone infected could have stayed in the house the week before us, and we may have needed to obtain fuel for the car or buy milk/bread. Or we could be asymptomatic carriers and leave the virus for the next family.

Unless you own the accommodation and won't need to buy ANYTHING, UK travel risks spreading the virus.

Please
or

WildOrchids67 · 17/03/2020 22:25

I'm 400 miles from home right now visiting my dad who is over 70. Wondering if I should cut my visit short and head home earlier than planned (currently Saturday). I'm driving so no flights to worry about.

Please
or

GolfForBrains · 17/03/2020 22:29

We have a week booked in the UK over Easter. I haven't cancelled because I am waiting for them to cancel on us. Staying in a hotel sounds like a terrible idea and if we are 3 weeks (not 4) behind Italy then we'll be in a right old pickle by then.

Please
or

SirVixofVixHall · 17/03/2020 22:31

Yes. Obv.
No non essential travel. That means no holidays.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?