Mumsnet Logo
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

Covid

Why no identities/solid statistics?

46 replies

starrysimon · 15/03/2020 08:46

Excuse me if I sound foolish but wondering If anyone knows any more info than I do and can be of assistance. I’m not saying it’s a
‘conspiracy’ or no one has died as that’s incredibly naive. I hope that I am not being disrespectful with this post.

Why are there no identities to those that have died? Out of all of the people that have unfortunately suffered in Italy we haven’t been given any specific groups like young people or children. Out of everyone in the U.K. only Conor McGregor’s aunt has been identified within the media and even then no age or health status has been given.

The government are now saying someone that wasn’t ‘high risk’ has died. That’s a great piece of info but not so useful if they don’t tell us the specifics like their age. Why are they not sharing these things with us? Without sounding insensitive, the media are very quick to release identities and information about those who have died due to other unfortunate circumstances but not this virus? I understand there may be a level of the relatives wanting privacy but surely it should eventually be public knowledge so those who have been in contact with them and their family can be prepared for the virus and we can all learn from the statistics. I.e. if it’s killing anyone up to the age of 60 with no health issues then we do have a reason to panic.

OP posts:
Please
or

scaevola · 15/03/2020 08:51

No identities because of patient confidentiality when hospitalised, and out of consideration for the bereaved when dead. We do not know dpfirmexample, how many of the hospitalised are in ITU, HDU or general infectious diepsease wards.

The figures for cases, and the borough in which they occur are being released daily.

The age/sex/comorbidity status of the deceased plus usually location of death are also in the public domain

What good would publishing more actually do?

Please
or

AHippoNamedBooBooButt · 15/03/2020 09:00

I do agree with the op, there is no info being released and it is strange. We are so used to hearing about the victims of natural disasters (such as the New Zealand volcano!), or terror attacks (london bridge attack - the bbc had an article on the victims) that not getting that information, well it feels really secretive tbh. I dont like how it feels.

Please
or

Seventyone72seventy3 · 15/03/2020 09:02

Out of all of the people that have unfortunately suffered in Italy we haven’t been given any specific groups like young people or children

What are you talking about? If you read death notices in the papers they are all there! Why would you want to know all the names of people you don't even know? Look at this video from one of the worst hit areas and you can see that there are pages and pages of death notices - also available online but you have to pay.

twitter.com/i/status/1238839527436955649

The most hit group is still the elderly and people with underlying conditions but in that same paper you can read that a young (46) and healthy medical worker died this weekend.

Please
or

ThreeBlindNice · 15/03/2020 09:03

I agree with op. It's adding to my anxiety )-:

Please
or

Bluntness100 · 15/03/2020 09:03

I also agree with you. I find it odd that there is a lack of statistics and information being given.

Please
or

Jenasaurus · 15/03/2020 09:06

I was wondering this too, also why when there was 20 listed as serious on the stats didnt it get reduced when the 10 people sadly died. Surely they would have been on the serious stats before they died

Please
or

SueEllenMishke · 15/03/2020 09:06

Patient confidentiality is the main reason. Plus, would you want your family all over the news as confirmed cases?
We've already got anyone who looks vaguely Chinese being attacked in the streets so publishing names and locations would just lead to people being targeted.

Please
or

ceeveebee · 15/03/2020 09:07

Where have you seen that someone dies who wasn’t in a high risk group? Everything I have read about the UK deaths says that they all had underlying health conditions?

Please
or

EricaNernie · 15/03/2020 09:09

imagine it was someone from your household, what reaction would your neighbours have?

Please
or

Bluntness100 · 15/03/2020 09:09

But identities don’t need to be revealed, but there is Little to no information coming out about those who have died, or those critically ill.

Even the families involved are not saying anything. It’s really odd.

Please
or

EricaNernie · 15/03/2020 09:09

and the press? social media?
it is not something to be publicized

Please
or

Seventyone72seventy3 · 15/03/2020 09:10

@ceeveebee I am in Italy and there have been quite a few cases of people not having underlying issues (or maybe they had them but they didn't know?) My local paper is also saying that the average age of victims is getting younger.

Please
or

Rhubarbpeony · 15/03/2020 09:10

Patient confidentiality

Please
or

SoupDragon · 15/03/2020 09:10

Where have you seen that someone dies who wasn’t in a high risk group? Everything I have read about the UK deaths says that they all had underlying health conditions?

I heard it on the news on Radio 1 that one case wasn't in a risk group.

Please
or

BennyVegas · 15/03/2020 09:11

Out of everyone in the U.K. only Conor McGregor’s aunt has been identified within the media

She died of other causes

Conor McGregor: Irish fighter clarifies that aunt did not die from coronavirus

Why do you desperately need to know identities?

Please
or

starrysimon · 15/03/2020 09:11

I don’t mean names and photos etc posted in the papers, mainly statistics like age and health status. It would be helpful to know if people under 60 who are perfectly healthy on paper are at risk of losing their lives.

I understand that actual identities won’t be released for some time due to privacy but I do find it a little bit strange how they are so quickly released when the cause of death are say by an accident, criminal act or caused by themselves but not due to this virus. Maybe it becomes more realistic and scary if there are names and faces to it and they are trying to delay further panic. I’m not sure though it is a weird one and hard to discuss without being disrespectful

OP posts:
Please
or

SoupDragon · 15/03/2020 09:12

The lack of details will be, as others have said, patient confidentiality. I assume either the relatives do not want it released or have been advised not to allow it. I don't see how it would benefit anyone - would knowing the name of someone really make it better?

Please
or

Seventyone72seventy3 · 15/03/2020 09:12

Even the families involved are not saying anything. It’s really odd.

Yes they are. You're just not looking in the right places.
twitter.com/JessMartinezxox/status/1238443529866805250

But I also think that when you have just lost someone you love, not everyone's first thought is to go onto social media.

Please
or

Seventyone72seventy3 · 15/03/2020 09:13

It would be helpful to know if people under 60 who are perfectly healthy on paper are at risk of losing their lives.

Yes they are. But not as at risk as others.

Please
or

TheCanterburyWhales · 15/03/2020 09:13

Some figures:
12% of intensive care patients in Italy with Covid are under 50.
2 people under 45 have died, both with underlying health issues.

If you'd like more, they are published every day on the official govt website.

When we were told of the first case in our town Facebook went cosmic with all the knuckle draggers wanting to know who it was so they could take their kids out of the school the person's children went to. We were told one of the kids was at the school I work at and were given names. The guy had a business on a certain street.

None of it was true.

That's why they don't publish other than vague details..

Fwiw, I doubt any of the official figures being given are totally true either beyond the absolutes (dead, in ICU etc) I think they're probably higher.

Please
or

Bluntness100 · 15/03/2020 09:14

It’s not about the names. But in this day and age of social media, not one person has said my gran, aunt, sister, fourth cousin whatever is in hospital with this or has died from this. It’s a complete lock down of info. Just age, general location, and they had “under lying health issues” and that’s it.

Please
or

Seventyone72seventy3 · 15/03/2020 09:14

You can also die from the flu though (and yes, I know it is not the same). Being under a certain age does not make you immune to anything,it just improves your chances.

Please
or

AlternativePerspective · 15/03/2020 09:15

I imagine that families aren’t speaking out because they don’t want to be targeted. Because that is exactly what would happen if you e.g. published the name of a person who had died of the virus. People would be spreading the name (and fear) all over social media, advising people to stay away from their family, demanding they be kept locked down until further notice, that their children be removed from school etc even if that person had been in hospital for weeks with other underlying conditions.

Please
or

starrysimon · 15/03/2020 09:15

EricaNernie I would expect neighbours to be worried and get themselves tested immediately as is only right if someone in my household died from the virus. My current neighbours often kindly bring the bin back in for me after it’s been collected and I doubt they will have washed their hands first or afterwards so there is always risk of contamination from neighbours somehow

OP posts:
Please
or

AHippoNamedBooBooButt · 15/03/2020 09:15

But even the second victim (I think second), his family released a statement so that would make it seem as though they were ok to have his identity published, but still nothing. If it's your neighbour- surely you will notice when the herse is pulling up next door. As pp said, deaths are all public information anyway, just like births and marriages, it's all there, just not in the news.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?