My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Children's health

Toddler accidentally might have drank energy drink

25 replies

fancyabru · 13/11/2023 11:24

I went into the kitchen for all of 3 minutes... I come back in and my two year old has managed to grab my still lucozade from the table from reach of the playroom.

I don't know if he has actually managed to drink any because I the cap was on but he could've shut it I don't know.

He seems okay but he has the hiccups and I don't know if it's a coincidence or not... is this an emergency? I feel terrible, I'm so scared 😭

OP posts:
INeedNewShoes · 13/11/2023 11:27

How much would he have drunk of it? If just a mouthful I wouldn't worry. If half a bottle I'd get him checked over as little children can be affected by caffeine.

Superscientist · 13/11/2023 11:28

I think the most concerning in them would be the caffeine. The lucasade products vary quite a bit in how much caffeine they have in.
What's the maximum amount he could have had and what is the caffeine content?
I would be tempted to pop him down to the pharmacy and they can tell you if the amount they might have had is concerning enough to see GP /111

Echobelly · 13/11/2023 11:32

It sounds like if he had any it couldn't have been a lot of you can't tell, I honestly wouldn't worry. Also it's lucozade, not Red Bull or something really strong, caffeine looks to be quite low down on the ingredients list because I think it's more about the glucose than the caffeine. I can't imagine any harm even drinking a lot of it would do to a toddler.

ColaBattles · 13/11/2023 11:43

I wouldn't worry. Still lucozade has no caffeine in. I also wouldn't worry too much if it was a can of proper energy drink as long as they only had a bit.

Aurasauras · 13/11/2023 11:44

He’ll be fine.

Talkwhilstyouwalk · 13/11/2023 11:44

It's not an emergency no. I wouldn't be too worried. They can't drink a harmful amount in one go. Worst case scenario is that you'll have a hyper toddler for half an hour!

ReviewingTheSituation · 13/11/2023 11:44

Lucozade is harmless! Especially the still one. It's definitely not an 'energy' drink (in the way that Red Bull, Monster etc are). It's essentially a pretty sugary squash.

ErrolTheDragon · 13/11/2023 11:47

Lucozade used to be the thing you gave to toddlers when they were ill! Is it completely different now?

Thedm · 13/11/2023 11:48

Really?
Take a parenting class for anxious parents. It will help you.

Megifer · 13/11/2023 11:49

He'll be fine we used to give it to our DC as toddlers when they'd been ill.

Superscientist · 13/11/2023 11:53

Lets not just assume it is plain lucasade as they do have an energy drink which has one of the highest levels of caffeine in and double red bull!!
If it is just the regular stuff it is likely to be fine but if it's their energy drink it's worth checking with a pharmacist whether its a concerning amount of caffeine.
If helps OP my dad deliberately gave me tea in my bottle from 3 months old. I'm mostly ok 🙂

Toddler accidentally might have drank energy drink
AdoraBell · 13/11/2023 11:54

How old he is and how likely is it he would have put the lid back on properly with spilling it?

When my DDs were toddlers I always knew when they had something like my naice biscuits etc because of the trail of evidence.

As pp have said, if it’s not half of the bottle he should be okay.

fancyabru · 13/11/2023 11:58

Thanks everyone he's falling asleep so he might not have had any luckily x

OP posts:
OooohAhhhh · 13/11/2023 12:07

If you're concerned I'd go to a pharmacy for advice as they are medically trained. I don't think it warrants a A&E or 111 call or anything internet like that tho.
Little buggers aren't they?! I sure he will be absolutely fine.

OooohAhhhh · 13/11/2023 12:10

anything like that tho**
I have no idea how the word internet managed to creep in there!

BertieBotts · 13/11/2023 12:16

Lucozade isn't a problem for children, though it's not great for them to drink it's not harmful. The only "energy" thing in it is glucose and there isn't even much of that any more since the sugar tax.

Still lucozade is just an isotonic sports drink thing. Won't do them any harm at all. Not good for their teeth if given regularly.

YourWinter · 13/11/2023 12:17

Brush his teeth and give him some water. He’ll be fine.

jesshomeEd · 13/11/2023 12:20

So your toddler handled a closed bottle of lucozade? I think he will survive!

LakeTiticaca · 13/11/2023 12:45

I have yet to meet a 3 year old who placed a top back on a bottle 😁

SweetBirdsong · 13/11/2023 12:46

It's just an energy drink @fancyabru It's not going to hurt him. Flowers

BoohooWoohoo · 13/11/2023 12:47

Still lucozade is better than the actual energy drinks that I was imagining.
He'll be fine.

PosteriorPosterity · 13/11/2023 12:51

Superscientist · 13/11/2023 11:53

Lets not just assume it is plain lucasade as they do have an energy drink which has one of the highest levels of caffeine in and double red bull!!
If it is just the regular stuff it is likely to be fine but if it's their energy drink it's worth checking with a pharmacist whether its a concerning amount of caffeine.
If helps OP my dad deliberately gave me tea in my bottle from 3 months old. I'm mostly ok 🙂

But they come in cans, and the OP talks about a bottle with a cap.

I was plyed with plenty lucozade when ill as a child (once to the point I threw up pure lucozade vomit) and I am just fine.

HoppingPavlova · 13/11/2023 12:53

@fancyabru can you please clarify what type of lucozade you are referring to? Is it the regular one that is actually used flat for sick kids/adults, or a high caffeine one like red bull.

BertieBotts · 13/11/2023 12:59

She said still lucozade. Which is Lucozade Sport. A sports drink.

CoffeeWithCheese · 13/11/2023 13:40

LakeTiticaca · 13/11/2023 12:45

I have yet to meet a 3 year old who placed a top back on a bottle 😁

This. He's not had it. Honestly.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.