My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Children's books

I need some new ideas for books to read to dd (nearly 6)

106 replies

imaginaryfriend · 28/05/2008 23:10

She's only just moved from me reading her picture books to reading her chapter books. I've found it quite hard to come up with things that appeal to her, but thanks to some great suggestions on here I've had huge success with:

Princess Mirror-Belle stories
Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf
George's Marvellous Medicine (Roald Dahl although she doesn't like any of his other books)
Arabel's Raven
Pinnocchio
All the Amelia Jane stories

She generally seems to favour books which are quite funny and a little bit surreal / magical. She hasn't liked any of the Animal Ark type stories, nor the Magic Unicorn / fairy type books.

I'd love some new suggestions. I've just started an Ottoline book by Chris Riddell but she's not too impressed so far!

OP posts:
imaginaryfriend · 31/05/2008 09:13

That's a great list, thanks, some I haven't heard of so I'll check them out!

OP posts:
Astrophe · 31/05/2008 09:22

My DD is enjoying Milly Molly Mandy, and the Bullerby Children as mentioned above, but printed under the name "The children of noisy village". It is out of print, but I got in on Amazon 'new and used' in fab condition. I'd do it soon though if you want it, because the original (Bullerby) ones which must have been out of print for a while are going for £30+ !!!

Also Amelia Jane, Fantastic Mr Fox, and Katie Morag stories.

imaginaryfriend · 01/06/2008 21:52

We have read every Amelia Jane story countless times! In fact for a while I didn't think we'd ever read anything else.

I've got a set of Milly Molly Mandy books but my dd is very anti-pink and MMM's dress is pink so she's refusing to hear them at the moment - I'm sure though that MMM had a blue striped dress when I was a little girl. Is that a false memory?!

So far I've now read her a few Mrs Pepperpot stories which she's enjoyed although not ecstatically.

I also found, by chance, two books by Adam Frost - 'Ralph the Magic Rabbit' and 'Harry Rabbit ...' They are very funny with really sweet pictures. Anyhow we've read both books already! So now I have some books to recommend to other people.

OP posts:
imaginaryfriend · 02/06/2008 16:16

any final suggestions?

OP posts:
Mercy · 02/06/2008 16:23

The Mary Plain books (if you can get hold of them)

imaginaryfriend · 02/06/2008 23:30

Mary Plain?

OP posts:
Hopeoverexperience · 04/06/2008 14:04

DD 6 also an Amelia Jane fan is really enjoying Teddy Robinson Stories by Joan G. Robinson. May well be worth a go - if only for a change!!

Hopeoverexperience · 04/06/2008 14:07

Just seen our Kingfisher Classic version of Teddy Robinson on Amazon for £3.99 you can use the search inside to see if you like it.
Happy reading!

imaginaryfriend · 04/06/2008 21:25

Hope, I'm sure they're lovely stories but my little fuss-pot hates teddies so I've never gone for them. She's crazy about rabbits but I've never found any really great rabbit stories.

OP posts:
mymblemummy · 05/06/2008 00:46

The Mary Plain books are by Gwynedd Rees, I think, and were about a bear, a real one from the bear pits in Berne, who went to live with humans. I think they may be out of print now.

Pity she doesn't like teddies. Otherwise she might have liked The Shoe Shop Bears by Margaret J Baker.

If it's rabbits she loves, how about:
The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams Bianco;
There and Back Again by Harold Jones;
Lollopy by Susan Dunbar and Joyce Varley.

The last two are out of print but do turn up on secondhand book sites.

As she likes doll stories perhaps she would like the Five Dolls in a House series by Helen Clare. Again, out of print but it does turn up secondhand. I loved it at her age and so did my daughter.

Other doll stories she might like include a few more Rumer Goddens, namely Little Plum, The Fairy Doll, Candy Floss, Impunity Jane, and The Story of Holly and Ivy.

And there's also Sally Gardner's The Countess's Calamity, and Boolar's Big Day Out.

On the general front, what about the first three Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder.

And Mardie's Adventures by Astrid Lindgren, and Josephine, and Hugo and Josephine by Maria Gripe. Out of print but worth looking for.

I have gone on a bit but we are book mad in this household.

imaginaryfriend · 05/06/2008 13:01

Well, we know the Velveteen Rabbit almost by heart but I've never heard of the other two rabbit stories. And there's some other great ideas, thanks!

OP posts:
mymblemummy · 08/06/2008 23:23

You are very welcome but I should have thought of this one before:

Shadrach by Meindert DeJong.

It's about a little Dutch boy who longs for a pet RABBIT, finally gets one, totally falls in love with it, loses it....and finds it again.

Sounds perfect for your daughter. I only remembered when I saw mine re-reading it today. It's a charming story but it may be out of print. Definitely worth looking for, though.

imaginaryfriend · 09/06/2008 21:06

OK - off to check that one out!

I got the Dragon in Class 4 (as recommended) as well as a few others from this thread and the Dragon book is a big big hit so far, we've nearly finished it already.

OP posts:
imaginaryfriend · 13/06/2008 12:36

DD (shock) doesn't like the Horrid Henry books. Nor the Oliver Moon ones. And Mrs Pepperpot's not lighting her fire.

Are all kids this dang fussy???

She is absolutely loving Olga da Polga though and all the Arabel's Raven stories have gone down a treat.

So I'm thinking that her taste is kind of humour / surreal edge with an animal or strange / mischievous person featured (i.e. Princess Mirror-belle).

Any final suggestions before we re-read Amelia Jane for the 55th time?

OP posts:
Belo · 19/06/2008 15:10

I've just seen your post and read all the comments with great interest. I was about to post a similar question!

It sounds like our dds are the same age and have similar tastes. Mine loves Princess Mirrorbelle but doesn't like Mrs Pepperpot.

We were recommended a book yesterday at dd1s school book fair which sounds like it could be good for you. The Scarecrow and his Servant by Philip Pullman. Dh and me had quite a discussion about who should read it with her. We both want to!

I've also just ordered the entire Roald Dahl book set for Books for Children. They're doing it as an intorductory offer for £4.99. Ok, so I'll have to buy 4 more books this year but I'm sure I can manage that and I will still end up saving money. We've got Fantastic Mr Fox already and she loved that.

Belo · 19/06/2008 15:10

I've just seen your post and read all the comments with great interest. I was about to post a similar question!

It sounds like our dds are the same age and have similar tastes. Mine loves Princess Mirrorbelle but doesn't like Mrs Pepperpot.

We were recommended a book yesterday at dd1s school book fair which sounds like it could be good for you. The Scarecrow and his Servant by Philip Pullman. Dh and me had quite a discussion about who should read it with her. We both want to!

I've also just ordered the entire Roald Dahl book set for Books for Children. They're doing it as an intorductory offer for £4.99. Ok, so I'll have to buy 4 more books this year but I'm sure I can manage that and I will still end up saving money. We've got Fantastic Mr Fox already and she loved that.

imaginaryfriend · 19/06/2008 20:55

Thanks Belo, I've never heard of that book before.

I've just now started reading dd Olga da Polga and can thoroughly recommend it.

My mum bought dd a huge set of Roald Dahl but the only one she's been willing to listen to was George's Marvellous Medicine. I will try Fantastic Mr. Fox again though.

OP posts:
Fennel · 20/06/2008 09:39

I think Milly Molly Mandy was always pink. Little Friend Susan was blue.

if she likes offbeat animal stories what about Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH?

imaginaryfriend · 20/06/2008 10:55

Fennel, I'm sure MMM was blue and white ...

Just checked out that Rat story, it looks very interesting, thanks!

OP posts:
Fennel · 20/06/2008 11:18

I will have to check, dd1 (who hates pink and girly things but is ok with MMM) has taken our MMM book on a school trip today.

Even if her dress was blue and white, she is a pinkish sort of girlish child isn't she? A tad insipid.

I do recall, rather too vividly, a story in which MMM gets a new dress for a party. Made from her aunt's white hanky. With a sash (not sure what colour). I could never work out how one handkerchief could make a dress even for a small child.

imaginaryfriend · 20/06/2008 11:38

I think the modern versions of MMM (who is a bit insipid I agree) show her in a pink dress but the older books are blue and white. My friend confirmed this a few weeks ago as she's reading her old versions of the story to her dd. Maybe they pinked her up at some point for the modern pink-loving girl?

Probably handkerchief in those days was a kind of cloth or something? (baffled)

OP posts:
Enid · 21/06/2008 11:24

dd2 loves The LIttle House in the Big Woods (the first Laura Ingalls Wilder story)

Fairy Stories (proper Grimm ones )

Milly-Molly-Mandy has a red-and-white striped dress much is made of it in the first stories. And she and her stories are fabulous IM (&dd2's)O.

She still likes picture books like the Bog Baby and Fairy Shopping and The Glass Heart - lovely illustrations

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Enid · 21/06/2008 11:26

Ottoline and the Yellow Cat is fab but much, much better for children who can read themselves so they can pore over fab illustrations

Enid · 21/06/2008 11:27

well its pinky red

deffo not blue

imaginaryfriend · 21/06/2008 22:08

Dd's just not interested in MMM. Whatever the dress colour! I remember as a girl I found the stories quite dull but I did enjoy the fact that my mum seemed to like reading them to me.

I bought an Ottoline book but have put it on one side for when dd's a bit more of an able reader.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.