My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Children's books

I need some new ideas for books to read to dd (nearly 6)

106 replies

imaginaryfriend · 28/05/2008 23:10

She's only just moved from me reading her picture books to reading her chapter books. I've found it quite hard to come up with things that appeal to her, but thanks to some great suggestions on here I've had huge success with:

Princess Mirror-Belle stories
Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf
George's Marvellous Medicine (Roald Dahl although she doesn't like any of his other books)
Arabel's Raven
Pinnocchio
All the Amelia Jane stories

She generally seems to favour books which are quite funny and a little bit surreal / magical. She hasn't liked any of the Animal Ark type stories, nor the Magic Unicorn / fairy type books.

I'd love some new suggestions. I've just started an Ottoline book by Chris Riddell but she's not too impressed so far!

OP posts:
GreenElizabeth · 29/05/2008 18:24

Matilda and Charlie and the Chocolate factory by roald dahl are brilliant for that age group. I think it says age 8 in the book shop but a six yr old will love them.

GreenElizabeth · 29/05/2008 18:24

Maybe an 8 yr old could read them his or her SELF though.

imaginaryfriend · 29/05/2008 18:26

Thanks Collision, I'll check all those out.

We're a bit unfortunate with the library at the moment as our local one has been closed for nearly 2 years and the only day we can make it to the one in town at the moment is a Saturday afternoon which often gets taken up with play dates / parties. We used to go all the time. I miss it.

OP posts:
imaginaryfriend · 29/05/2008 18:29

GE I tried those two. She loved George's Marvellous Medicine but so far hasn't liked any other Dahl books.

OP posts:
FrannyandZooey · 29/05/2008 18:34

I'm just reading 'My Dad is a Birdman' by David Almond. Very unusual and ds is riveted.

The Oz books have also been a big hit here although occasionally a bit gruesome (I edit).

We all really like the Aurora books which are OOP but available from Amazon or eBay - slightly unconventional Scandi family stories

and the Bullerby children are such a delight - also OOP but worth their weight in gold - really joyous and the bologna sausage story makes me weep with laughter

littlelapin · 29/05/2008 18:34

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

imaginaryfriend · 29/05/2008 19:01

Thanks everyone, I'm checking all these out. Keep 'em coming!

OP posts:
MaltesersAndMarmite · 29/05/2008 19:34

Is she too young for Noel Streatfield yet? I adored Ballet Shoes, White Boots, Thursday's Child etc.

imaginaryfriend · 29/05/2008 20:58

I don't know as I haven't read those. She's a bright little girl but she's not yet that sophisticated in what she can handle listening to. The story has to be fairly direct!

OP posts:
MaltesersAndMarmite · 29/05/2008 21:13

Ballet Shoes is about three orphans sent to a stage school, White Boots about Ice Skating, and Thursday's Child is set in an orphanage. I think they're all fairly straightforward story but chapters are much longer than say Horrid Henry. I have not read them yet to dd(5) as she has a tiny attention span! Who is Clever Polly and the Wolf by? That sounds like something my dd would enjoy.

imaginaryfriend · 29/05/2008 21:45

Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf is just brilliant, really funny I thought. It's by Catherine Storr and was written in the 1950s I think. Has your dd heard the Princess Mirror-Belle stories by Julia Donaldson? My dd found those very palatable and amusing. Or Amelia Jane stories?

OP posts:
imaginaryfriend · 29/05/2008 21:46

dd doesn't have a problem with long chapters, in fact she always asks for more. It's more the pre-amble, scene-setting type stuff she gets bored with.

OP posts:
Hulababy · 29/05/2008 21:48

6y DD and her friends all love Horrid Henry.

HH is also good for newly confident readers too as a lot of simple words used, and a lot of repetition of longer words. Plus each book is made up of 4 shorter stries, so holds interest until they have completed it.

Hulababy · 29/05/2008 21:51

We got a big set of the HH books from the school book club - worked out a good deal.

Not tried the Oliver Moon, but there is also Molly Moon too - not sure whether right for 6y or not yet as not started any.

My Naughty Little Sister books are fun too.

imaginaryfriend · 29/05/2008 21:52

LL I like the look of the Oliver Moon series, dd hasn't got anything like that. Do you think a nearly-6-year-old-girl would go for it?

OP posts:
littlelapin · 29/05/2008 21:57

snice · 29/05/2008 21:57

The Owl who was afriad of the dark by Jill Tomlinson is lovely and is part of a series of 5 or 6 books that you could get if your DD enjoys it

imaginaryfriend · 29/05/2008 21:58

Thanks Hula, I'll search for Molly Moon too.

OP posts:
imaginaryfriend · 29/05/2008 21:59

snice, we've got those, dd loved them.

LL, on my way to your other thread now

OP posts:
littlelapin · 29/05/2008 21:59

Hulababy · 29/05/2008 22:04

What age range littlelapin? My own Mollie fancies them because of the name, but looking on Amazon they seem to be aimed at a bit older - top end primary perhaps? The Oliver Moon seem aimed at a younger audience by looks of it.

CapricaSix · 29/05/2008 22:08

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

littlelapin · 29/05/2008 22:14

imaginaryfriend · 29/05/2008 22:17

Hula, it looks to me like the Molly Moon ones are aimed at an older reader. I don't know if that matters if you're going to read to them. Dd's not ready to read chapter books yet so I'm really just looking for what she'd like me to read to her.

OP posts:
imaginaryfriend · 29/05/2008 22:18

Caprica, we're currently reading Ottoline and the Yellow Cat funnily enough!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.