My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Children's books

How do you talk to teens about mental health? Join the discussion - 10 Hot Key books to be won plus a £100 donation to Mind

32 replies

SorchaMumsnet · 14/11/2016 17:05

Every year, statistics show a worrying increase in the number of young people suffering from mental health problems. With new daily pressures from constant social networking, media imagery and difficulties gaining employment or education, there are more struggles than ever for the young people of today.

Whether you or a friend or family member struggle with mental health issues or you’re just interested in learning more, Mind Your Head is an accessible and frank look at the facts, using Juno Dawson’s trademark wit, Dr Olivia Hewitt’s clinical psychology experience and Gemma Correll’s entertaining illustrations.

Covering topics from anxiety and depression to addiction, self-harm and personality disorders, Juno and Olivia talk clearly and supportively about a range of issues facing young people's mental health - whether fleeting or long-term - and how to manage them, with real-life stories from young people around the world.

How do you talk to the teenager in your life about mental health? For telling us your tips, a donation of £100 will be made by Hot Key Books to Mind, the mental health charity. In addition, one winner will be able to pick 10 books from the Hot Key and Piccadilly Press catalogue.

This discussion is sponsored by Hot Key Books and will close on 12 December

Books T&Cs apply

How do you talk to teens about mental health? Join the discussion - 10 Hot Key books to be won plus a £100 donation to Mind
OP posts:
UnbornMortificado · 10/12/2016 13:51

My DD is very nearly a teen.

She has been brought up knowing about my mental health problems.

Not I'm too much detail but she's aware why I take pills and why I've been in hospital from about the age of 9. I have taught her along the lines that mental health problems need treatment just as much as a physical health problem and that it's a chemical imbalance in the brain.

I do worry for her future my mam and gran both have mental health issues (also my grandads gran was in bedlam) and there is evidence if can be hereditary.

BeachysSandyFlipFlops · 10/12/2016 17:53

I check in with ds a lot. He is under CAMHS and is suffering from anxiety and depression. Just checking in, frequently, via text or popping up to his room to take a cup of tea. Just letting him know I'm there for him.

colouringinagain · 11/12/2016 12:50

My dh has major mental health probs. Sectioned again only yesterday. I tell the dcs 8, 12, that daddy's brain is poorly again. Brains take longer to mend cos they're so busy....

UnbornMortificado · 11/12/2016 13:13

Colouring I'm sorry to hear that. Always seems extra hard when it's around Christmas time. Wishing him a quick recovery Flowers

colouringinagain · 11/12/2016 16:04

Thanks so much

Oblomov16 · 12/12/2016 03:35

Giraffe, thanks for those book links - they look very good.

UrsulaMumsnet · 13/12/2016 17:59

Hello everyone. Thanks so much for contributing your thoughts to this discussion. Debsie123 wins a donation of £100 which will go directly to Mind, plus a selection of Hot Key/Picadilly Press books.

Flowers to you all

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.