My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

I need a great chapter book to read to 6 year olds

70 replies

Asleeponasunbeam · 08/05/2015 21:24

For our holiday in a couple of weeks. It's to read to DD and DNiece. And no doubt their little siblings will have a listen too. Last year we had great success with 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' but both have now heard (or read! DN is a great reader) all the younger Roald Dahls and I don't want to do the rest too soon.

My DD loves animals, fairies and magic - her cousin is a bit more mature maybe and likes school/ friendship stories.

Any ideas for the perfect chapter book for them both to beg for at bed time? Thanks.

OP posts:
prepperpig · 09/05/2015 11:16

the princess bride is amazing. my seven year old and nine year old both loved it.

MERLYPUSSEDOFF · 09/05/2015 13:57

My two have devoured Roald Dhal.

Ferguson · 09/05/2015 22:47

Usually considered for older children, but provided it is taken slowly and things are explained as you go along, 'Swallows and Amazons' shouldn't be beyond them. And if that works, you have all the other Arthur Ransome books to follow on with.

Asleeponasunbeam · 09/05/2015 22:58

Thanks for the great suggestions. I'll choose something this week. The girls have quite different tastes (although adore each other, fortunately) so it's quite a feat. Swallows and Amazons will be a next summer's book for DD. DN wouldn't be interested.

OP posts:
Asleeponasunbeam · 09/05/2015 22:59

I can't wait for Arthue Ransome, and for DD to learn to sail our boat.

OP posts:
pootlebug · 09/05/2015 23:02

My elder two (7 and 5) are loving the How to Train Your Dragon series. As am I!

notasgreen · 10/05/2015 09:41

We read "The Owl who was afraid of the dark" to DS1 last summer when he was 5 and it was brilliant. All about a baby barn owl who is afraid of the dark and each chapter he meets someone new who gives him a reason to like the dark - funny dialog between the parent owls and baby 'plop' too.

I think that would work well for both boys and girls.

Also, the 'Nate the Great' series is good (though that might be an american thing)

iklboo · 10/05/2015 09:55

Fangs, Vampire Spy - funny & clever.
Spy Dog

drinkscabinet · 10/05/2015 09:59

Laura Ingalls Wilder? Even DD2 who at 5 still has stages where she wants picture books rather than chapter books loved Little House in the Big Woods. She dropped out of listening to LHOTP (it was that bit more grown up) but DD1 (7) and my DNephews (7 and 9) have loved everything up to Silver Lake.

Green Smoke is very popular with the 7 year old despite feeling quite old fashioned (in a good way). She can read fairy magic trash to herself but when I'm reading we read classics.

What about Polly Webb? We've read her Christmas stories (all timeslip stories of the type I loved as a kid) that were a big hit but Maisie Hitchins is suppose to be very good.

wonkylegs · 10/05/2015 10:09

The how to train your dragon series by Cressida Cowell
6yo DS loves them (and so do I, I keep reading bits that he reads without me so I can find out what happens)
He's read all of Roald Dahl and David Walliams (he was fine with these but I think some bits would be quite sad/heavy going/scary for some children)
He also likes the horrible science books, he's steadily working his way through the box set.

Magicpaintbrush · 13/05/2015 20:29

'My Naughty Little Sister' by Dorothy Edwards - lovely books. Absolutely agree with the suggestions of Enid Blyton. My daughter is 6 and she absolutely loved The Enchanted Wood trilogy, and 'The Wishing Chair' and is now obsessed with 'The Naughtiest Girl in the School' books. Horrid Henry books are very amusing too.

KnitFastDieWarm · 13/05/2015 20:35

The Moomin books are wonderful - my granny used to read them to me when I was little and I was a very sensitive child but I don't remember being scared of them

KnitFastDieWarm · 13/05/2015 20:41

When they are a bit older, the ghost of Thomas kempe is fab too - about a poltergeist who try to appoint a little boy as his apprentice Wink

anzu66 · 13/05/2015 20:56

The Adventures of Nanny Piggins by R.A. Spratt

My son loves these.
It's the first of series about three children whose miserable, stingy father (the mother was drowned in a mysterious boating accident, but this is not dwelt upon at all) does not want to have to deal with them, so he hires an ex-circus pig whose previous job was being fired out of a cannon, to look after the children. It's fairly surreal, very funny, and each chapter is an independent story.

When we bought them, only the first two could be bought as hard copy outside Australia. (THe others are now available as e=books). My son loves them to the extent that we actually had the others sent from Australia so he could read them all.

Liney15 · 13/05/2015 21:56

I've just bought A Necklace of Raindrops for DD (following a recommendation on this thread) and after reading the first story I now remember reading them. They are fabulous and the illustrations are gorgeous.

nettie · 13/05/2015 22:42

"Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Rides Again" is a fab book, especially if you have a camper van! Got family drama, humour, mystery, is an all round brilliant read.

NoSquirrels · 13/05/2015 22:51

Do they like the Greek myths? Very funny series called Beasts of Olympus which is a fun reworking my Greek myth- mad 6 yr old is into.

Loads of great suggestions here though - Varjak Paw, Atticus Claw, Wings & Co., Little House on the Prairie, Borrowers, Moomins.

Where are you going on holiday? Mine would be into a story set where they're going.

badg3r · 13/05/2015 23:02

The Worst Witch books. I loved them as a child (still do now!)

Asleeponasunbeam · 16/05/2015 20:34

I have ordered:

Violet Mackerel
The Little Wooden Horse (both recommended up thread)
Fortunately, the Milk (Neil Gaiman)

I'll update on our return!

OP posts:
hdoodle · 16/05/2015 22:33

The Sheep Pig by Dick King Smith
Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Jenny and the Cat Club by Esther Averill
Mrs Piggle Wiggle by Betty MacDonald

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.