My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

Book for a young 11yr old girl please.

35 replies

Hathall · 04/04/2015 21:50

She doesn't read a lot but says she likes adventure stories. Her favourite books have been the David Walliams ones.
Any suggestions please?

OP posts:
stargirl1701 · 04/04/2015 21:51

Sky Hawk by Gill Lewis.

Booksteensmagazines · 04/04/2015 22:23

Murder Most Unladylike by Robin Stevens
Itch series by Simon Mayo
Gods and Warriors by Michelle Paver

beatricequimby · 04/04/2015 22:28

Jacqueline Wilson? Wimpy Kid series?

LionsTeeth · 04/04/2015 22:40

The Jiggy McCue books Grin

Hathall · 04/04/2015 23:31

Thank you. Off to google.

OP posts:
madamehooch · 06/04/2015 14:08

Secret Hen House Theatre

notyetnewbie · 06/04/2015 14:15

The ingo series!

PrettyPenguin · 07/04/2015 23:14

The Little White Horse?

Enid Blyton's Adventure series (which is currently available as a part collection on The Book People). These were my favourite adventure books when I was her age.

Swallows and Amazons series?

I'm not sure whether she's too young or not to enjoy Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials series. It's very good - starts with The Northern Lights.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel · 08/04/2015 14:39

The Lucy Evans, Insta-Explorer, books by Millie Slavidou might suit her - here

applecatchers36 · 09/04/2015 21:08

Little women
Anne of green gables

schmalex · 10/04/2015 09:13

How about the Emily Windsnap books by Liz Kessler? About a girl who is half-mermaid.

LadyIsabellaWrotham · 10/04/2015 09:21

The Ottoline books are aimed quite a bit younger but they're so lovely.

DD has enjoyed the Murder Most Unladylike books.

The Percy Jackson books are incredibly narratively (is that a word?) strong in the adventure genre, very funny (though they're not "funny books") and with a certain amount of stealth education as well (Greek gods). I'd say they're a very good step on from David Walliams.

When you say she's "young", Is this a reading age, concentration or maturity of content thing? Could you read to her? - something like Ballet Shoes or The Hobbit.

LadyIsabellaWrotham · 10/04/2015 09:22

Oh and to state the bleeding obvious...Harry Potter?

quirkydragon · 10/04/2015 09:55

Charm School by Anne Fine - it's about Bonnie who has to go to a summer school class while her Mum studies - Bonnie is aghast to find the only possible class is Charm School, a kind of beauty parade, girls have to look pretty and sing and dance. Bonnie undermines the whole thing, partly uninentionally, in a hilarious way!
Also Diana Wynne Jones - good magical adventure books - Dogsbody, The Power of Three, A Tale Of Time City.

Hathall · 12/04/2015 13:30

Thanks everyone.
By young I mean maturity. Her reading is fine but she likes unchallenging and uncomplicated books with characters she can relate too.
She doesn't want to read Harry potter and something like Percy Jackson and hobbit would be out but Jiggy mccue and charm school sound like something she would like. I haven't had a look at all the suggestions but I will...

OP posts:
BlueChampagne · 12/04/2015 22:50

Goth Girl

Second Swallows and Amazons and Little White Horse.

BlueChampagne · 12/04/2015 22:51

Try The Children of Green Knowe and The Dark is Rising series.

meandjulio · 12/04/2015 22:53

The Swish of the Curtain
Has she read any Noel Streatfeild? I always preferred White Boots to Ballet Shoes, it was one of my very favourite reads and still is
Necklace of Raindrops
Try something like the Blue or Orange Fairy Books? They may be a bit daunting looking but the fact that they are short stories might help - something for her to dip into. Maybe get one from the library?

Pancakeflipper · 12/04/2015 22:56

Can you still get the Trebizon books by Anne Digby? My sisters and I loved them at that age. Boarding school type book with tennis thrown in !

Bolshybookworm · 12/04/2015 22:58

I third swallows and amazons- I loved those books at her age. Total escapism.

Is the Redwall series too old for her? I think I read them at 12/13. I remember being quite obsessed with them.

The moomins books are fantastically imaginative with lots of adventure, I loved the Exploits of Moominpappa most of all. Lovely illustrations too.

Icedfinger · 12/04/2015 23:01

I came on to say Harry Potter but you could also try:
Roald Dahl- Matilda, James and the Giant Peach, The Witches.

Heidi

Narnia series

Have you tried reading a book that she might like? Seeing you read it might get her started.

Icedfinger · 12/04/2015 23:06

Also for more modern try:
Holes
Cosmic
Millions
Boy in the striped pyjamas
Anything Michael Morpurgo
Jean Ure
Skellig
Super fudge

Mitzi50 · 12/04/2015 23:07

Possibly too old fashioned

The borrowers
The secret garden
Ballet shoes
The wolves of Willoughby chase
Narnia series

Bezza1944 · 13/04/2015 17:45

There was a time when my daughter never read a book to the end. There just wasn't any interest. Then someone said, try the books by Helen Forester about her early childhood in Liverpool. Well I eventually bought all the books in the series every book was read and more since. I've just read on Wicki that Helen Forester died in 2011. I would liked to have thanked her for giving the gift of reading to my daughter. By the way one of her other books "Latchkey Kid" was on the GCSE syllabus.

Whyamihere · 13/04/2015 18:44

My dd is 10 and mildly dyslexic, she is currently reading Enid Blyton's Malory Towers series and loving it, she also recently read Charlotte Sometimes. Jacqueline Wilson is also popular and her favourites are Lily Alone and The Butterfly Club.

She read a series last year called Charm Hall by Tabitha Black, I'm not sure if they may be a bit young but dd really enjoyed them.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.