My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Children's books

Get your Dcs to share their favourite Wimpy Kid moments for chance to win SIGNED copy of Wimpy Kid: Hard Luck and other Wimpy Kid goodies.

46 replies

RachelMumsnet · 26/01/2015 11:14

Last year we worked with Puffin books to find your top tips for engaging reluctant readers. The response was brilliant and we've created a page to share with some of the best.

To celebrate the paperback publication of Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Hard Luck (on 29 Jan), we want to mobilize all Wimpy Kid fans and engage those reluctant readers further by asking them to share their favourite Wimpy Kid moments.

These can be from any of the 9 books so far, or they can tell us about their favourite characters. We've got ten copies of Hard Luck with exclusive wristbands on offer for the ten runners up and a SIGNED copy of Hard Luck for our favourite post.

Post your children's favourite moments on this thread before 23 February and we'll announce the winners later that week.

Get your Dcs to share their favourite Wimpy Kid moments for chance to win SIGNED copy of Wimpy Kid: Hard Luck and other Wimpy Kid goodies.
OP posts:
CarmonEileen · 26/01/2015 18:20

Ds (14) from the first film- The realisation on Rodrick & Gregs face when they notice the door they exchanged for the bathroom is totally wrong and doesn't have a lock!

Dd (8) Loves when Greg tries to eat lots and lots of food so he can get into the next weight category for wrestling and then faces Patty Farrell and loses. Grin

mummyhappiness · 26/01/2015 18:23

My 11 yr old son is a huge wimpy kid fan and read all the books. His favourite wimpy kid book is "The long haul". His favourite part is when Rodick gives Greg the sign saying " I am not waring a bathing suit" in the pool. And everyone swims away from him. My son thought this was hilarious because Rodick spelt the word wearing wrong and it was such a funny prank. Absolutely brilliant, a must read !! Grin

Segga86 · 26/01/2015 20:37

Both my two love Diary of the Wimpy kid, there favourite has to be dog days I always here them laughing away when they are reading ??
My daughters favourite part in dog days is
"In case we don't make it, there's something I have to tell you. One time I went to the bathroom and I didn't wash my hands"
Makes her smile every time

barricade · 26/01/2015 22:57

Adults may not agree, but the "Diary Of A Wimpy Kid" series of books are truly ground-breaking. They are presented in a delightful way, with cartoon illustrations, diary/scrap-book extracts, and 'notebook-like' mid page border designs. These design elements significantly enhance the reading experience. And containing the sophomoric humour of modern-day kids makes for another reason why these stories are perfect for reluctant young readers of both gender, and leaves them wanting more.

My 9 year old nephew shares:-

The "Diary Of A Wimpy Kid" books are absolutely brilliant - ultra-funny, ultra-cool ... did I mention ultra-funny? I have so many favourite Wimpy Kid moments. 1) Book 1's 'Cheese touch' saga and when Greg's father's plan to throw buckets of water over the 'Trick-Or-Treat' teenagers backfires, 2) Book 3 - The Last Straw - the way Greg stretches out his 'Chimps' Biology homework to fill 4 pages, and Freggly spoiling Greg's plans with his 'Boogie Boogie' dance, 3) Book 8 - Hard Luck - the way Greg's Magic 8 Ball leads him to Meemaw's lost diamond ring, and the photo-shopped picture of Rowley's small head at the end of the book, even though Greg is best friends with him again (they're seen running away, together again, from the bully Meckley Mingo and his belt).

However, the hassle that Greg encounters with the 'Beardo' family in 'Book 9 - The Long Haul' just cracked me up. My favourite moment was when Mr. Beardo walks in on Greg's father as he is secretly using the toilet, and Greg's father runs out WITHOUT EVEN PULLING HIS PANTS UP!! Classic!

:)

angelics · 27/01/2015 20:22

My son Jack aged 8 loves the part from Rodrick Rules where Greg comes back from summer holidays and realises that he still has the cheese touch. He needs to pass it on to someone else but he doesn't realise he has it. Then he passes it on to the new kid.

Pantone363 · 29/01/2015 11:12

DS isn't here at the moment to ask and so this probably doesn't qualify.

I don't know his favourite moment in the books, but, he has spent the last three days reading his first ever copy (he's 7). He had it at breakfast, he took it to school, he got a stamp in his reading diary for "reading for pleasure" during lunch break, he went to bed early VOLUNTARILY so he could read it. Yesterday he finished it and spent his pocket money on the next one (the long haul I think?). He then asked if he could lend his read copy to a friend at school.

DS has never read a book cover to cover. Ever. He loves playstation and minecraft and football. Not reading.

So although I don't know his favourite bit he LOVES diary of a wimpy kid Smile and he really was a reluctant reader!

sanfairyanne · 29/01/2015 17:29

'eat the cheese' Grin

heather1 · 29/01/2015 18:23

Ds1 (age 10) has just recently discovered he Wimpy kid and is steadily working his way through them. They are great as before he would only read graphic novels and they are a good move up from these books. This was also prompted by meeting the book illustrator who ran a wonderful workshop at his school.
He told me his two favourite moments are

1. In the Last Haul when Greg tried to get blanket that was up the tress.
  2. He also loves in Dog Days when the Grandpa tells the story about how he killed Franks dog.
INickedAName · 29/01/2015 18:47

Dd aged (9) has read all wimpy kid books, I discovered them myself when she was very young as I was looking for something similar to Adrian Mole. So when she came to discover them herself a few years later it was great to read them together. She received Hard Luck for Christmas and read it all in one session.

Cheese touch wins hands down, she re reads the first book several times just for that alone. Her and her friends created some type of tig chasing game called Cheese Touch which they play almost every day at school, with some of the children putting actual cheese from their lunch on the playground floor.

WildEyedAndCrafty · 29/01/2015 19:05

DS (8) absolutely loves the Wimpy Kid books. He says his favourite bits are when Greg puts a whoopee cushion on 95 year old Gammie's chair in "The Ugly Truth" and near the beginning of "The Third Wheel" when Greg talks about his Mom reading a book while he was in the womb. "The crazy thing was Mom didn't need to use the microphone for me to hear her." This is apparently, along with the picture of Greg yanking the umbilical cord, one of the most hilarious things DS has ever read.

gazzalw · 30/01/2015 07:17

Both DS and DD have loved these and indeed still do - we love the movies too (is there a new one due out this year?).

The one that sticks out in all our minds is the chapter where Greg is going to church with his family, desperate to impress Holly. If you recall he sits on chocolate so ends up with a very suspicious-looking brown stain on the seat of his trousers....No time to change so he has his mum's jumper tied around his waist to cover it up...only his brother steps on it and pulls it off! So Greg is left walking up the church aisle (past his love, Holly) with what look like 'poopy pants'...

Oh and the scene where the dog slobers all over the joint of meat but the Dad and Greg cook it regardless but then are less than keen on eating it at the dinner table, as the rest of the family tucks in unknowing...

WowOoo · 30/01/2015 08:10

There are too many funny moments to choose from.

The one that stands out for us is The Cheese Touch. It's something adults can identify with. For us in school it was if you'd touched the manky, old PE mat. it was one you had to sit on if you'd been naughty or felt ill. I'm sure someone wet themselves on it once.

I know loads of the hilarious scenes have already been mentioned so I won't repeat them all.

I was thrilled when ds1 decided he loved the series. It's unusual for me to cry with laughter so much that I'm unable to carry on reading a children's book.

Cataline · 30/01/2015 20:37

My DS (7) has started getting up half an hour early each morning to read his Wimpy Kid books. He was given the boxed set ages ago but has only just started to get into them.
I do just picked him up from his friend's house this evening- apparently they watched the first film then spent the next hour writing their own stories!
When he got home he asked "What is it called when a book says 'me and I'? It took us a moment to realise he meant writing in the First Person!
He's told us that that is one of the main reasons he likes the books- he says the drawings are great as they inspire him to draw more and he loves that it's written in the style of a journal.
As parents, we like the fact that he occasionally bursts into a fit of the giggles when reading! He said that he loves it all and doesn't have one favourite part- for a child that loves to talk about the 'best bits' of every book, film and event- that's something! GrinGrinGrin

janney3 · 30/01/2015 21:03

My Ds (13) loves all the Wimpy Kid books.

His favourite moment is from The Long Haul book when the cinnamon- roll tube explodes, in the car, with a massive BANG and Roderick thinks the subsequent dough on the back of his head is his brains that have fallen out. Roderick is even more upset when he sees Manny licking the goo from his fingers!

When I asked my DS he knew exactly which book and page this 'moment' was from.

Cataline · 30/01/2015 21:10

And just to add... DS has just asked if it would be ok if he stayed in bed late tomorrow morning so he can get in some more reading time!
Looking forward to a lie in! Grin

INickedAName · 31/01/2015 01:29

Most of you probably already know this but Injust wanted to say that the Wimpy Kid Do-It-Yourself book is also well worth buying if your children enjoy the books. It has writing and drawing activities etc, it's a great companion to the stories and encourages engagement in a different way to reading.

It's the only activity book that dd has completed from front to back and she loved doing so. You'll all probably already know about it but just thought I'd mention it just in case.

The audio books are also fun, we listened to The Ugly Truth and even though dd had already read the book she enjoyed that just as much as the audio was presented in a way that she didn't read in her head, which made some parts even funnier to her. We use audio books on long journeys in the car as dd gets sickly if she reads or colours in.

Newshoesplease · 31/01/2015 12:27

Asked ds, age 10. "My favourite part is from 'the long haul', where Roderick and Greg hold us signs while they're driving saying "Help, these people are kidnapping us! "
he couldn't breathe for laughing! !!

awfulomission · 31/01/2015 18:24

DS (8) says:

"In 'The Last Straw' when Greg gets pushed out of his locker by Roderick. Wearing only his pants. Hee hee hee."

chocolateshoes · 01/02/2015 18:31

DS says his favourite bit is 'when Greg makes Manny laugh so much that apple juice squirts out of his nose'. He loves those books!

rocketeer · 02/02/2015 07:50

Ds says his favourite part in The Long Haul is when Manny speaks fluent Spanish and gets the men to take him to the animal sanctuary.

ktmd · 02/02/2015 19:00

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul by Jeff Kinney.
We all laughed out loud when the seagull flew into the cat to eat a cheese puff! Great writer. Engages even the most reluctant readers!

Ikea1234 · 02/02/2015 19:46

My son likes all the books, but laughed a lot when, in The Long Haul, the tube of cinnamon rolls explodes and Roderick thinks the resulting goo on the back of his head is his brains....eurgh!

7flipper7 · 02/02/2015 20:57

My son's favourite books are most certainly Diary of a Wimpy kid. He was never much of a reader until he discovered these now I find him tucked in bed reading them. He has even started making his own little diary entries with pictures - so cute!

sugar1975 · 02/02/2015 21:38

My son is a huge fan of Greg. He loves all the antics he gets upto and loves how he does/doesn't get on with his brother Roderick! It is great that he has been reading these books from a young age :) So much fun and laughter and the films bring those books to life!

katiecoodle1 · 02/02/2015 21:45

Oh my word - my kids STILL run around poking each other shouting 'Cheese touch' and running away.....

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.