My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

have an interview finally for a nanny job in northamptonshire :)

32 replies

daisy26 · 12/03/2007 18:36

Iv'e got an onterview tomoz with a family, maybe only a start but least this will be my first one, can't wait. If all is well i prob could start straight away, well excited iv'e never done this b4 so what should i say regarding pay if they ask me what i would expect?

OP posts:
FairyOnTheChristmasTree · 12/03/2007 19:49

Hello daisy...it's so difficult to find nanny work these days so well done on getting an interview!

With regards to pay...i'd ask for £250 per week if live out and £200 live in. Are you qualified? If so, perhaps you could ask for a little more up towards the £300 mark. How many children do they have?

If the children are there tomorrow, don't forget to get stuck in and play with them to show the parents you're not afraid of messy, noisy and boisterous children.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on!

daisy26 · 12/03/2007 21:08

im not qualified just got lots of experience working in a nursery and on my cv they can see iv'e never done this before, but are obv keen.sso someone un experienced in this area wud say £250 a week, they will ave the 1 and year old there, i tend to bond with children quite quickly sometimes. Yeh i know obv talk to the children aswell even if they can't really talk yet hehe, but yeh i'd interact with them also sort of thing. Thanks

OP posts:
allaroundmyhat · 13/03/2007 07:25

Hi Daisy

Well done!!! I am a nanny and i know how difficultit is to get interviews - neer mind jobs! How did you hear about this job? Where are you advertising?

daisy26 · 13/03/2007 07:55

quite strange really as I just posted a cv on a nanny website but totally forgot about it, then so i had options iv'e been looking into c.minding to. Went on an info course yday morning come back and there was a family that seen my cv, so they emailed me, i emailed straight back sent my cv and got a phone call l8r i know what questions to ask and what info to find out, the only things i can prepare a meal but iv'e not done allot from scratch tho, do some families expect you to do this, i mean i'll practice at home hehe

OP posts:
allaroundmyhat · 13/03/2007 08:33

Hi

What website did you put your CV on? some families will want you to make things from scratch but they would be easy things like pasta, shephards pie and things like that

daisy26 · 13/03/2007 08:40

www.nannyjob.co.uk i put my on, that's alrite then lol I can do those easy enough,obv in nurseries quite allot of things are done from scratch so i wondered if families like to have the same sort of thing done when they have nannies. I ave a bit of spare time at the mo newayz, so i cud practice other things

OP posts:
allaroundmyhat · 13/03/2007 08:47

Dont worry, they're not expecting you to be a chef!!!
What time is your interview?

daisy26 · 13/03/2007 09:17

that's alrite then with the cooking side.sometime after 1230 got to ring them up, as their 3 year old fin pre-school at 1230. I get to meet her, it be a 1 year old boy and a 3 year old girl look after mostly, she goes pre-school 3 mornings a week newayz

OP posts:
allaroundmyhat · 13/03/2007 09:23

Good luck - let us know how you get on!

daisy26 · 13/03/2007 09:25

thankyou I will

OP posts:
daisy26 · 13/03/2007 14:50

gotta go for interview at 6 now, i'll let u know how it goes

OP posts:
ScottishThistle · 13/03/2007 14:57

Good luck Daisy!

Just try to be very natural & you'll be fine.

What are you wearing for your interview?

daisy26 · 13/03/2007 14:58

i'm not really nervous as i know what questions to ask what infor i need to find out, how do they work with things etc. Something simple and smart obv not over the top

OP posts:
daisy26 · 14/03/2007 17:59

between me and they have got another person to see, i still haven't found out yet gonna let me kow sometime today i hope, either way

OP posts:
stunned · 14/03/2007 18:06

I need some advice - I have 3 kids twins of 4 and a boy of 6 - our big issue has been nannies - in september all our kids will do 8-3.15 so we have a chance to rethink childcare - BUT we still need someone to pick up from school and do homework (our current nanny struggles with our 6 yr olds homework) - and we need cover for halfterms and 5 weeks of the summer (8 weeks cover) - any suggestions?

daisy26 · 14/03/2007 18:31

what homework does the 6y old get for homework and y does ure nanny struggle. So are thinking of having a f.time nanny instead of going to nursery? what is it do u need to know?

OP posts:
daisy26 · 14/03/2007 18:34

sorry ignore what i just wrote, obv the twins be going school un sept i just read it again.In summer you can get temp nannies that will work and maybe will suit them and get experience from it. Depends wot u find available or mb a temp c.minder there must be some hol clubs they cud go to. Homework situtaion i'm not sure, mb get a private tutor if need to be

OP posts:
daisy26 · 15/03/2007 09:59

I have a 2weeks trial but does this sound right, i'd work 4 days 8-6 get £160 plus mileage, i thought i wud get a little bit more, mb only 4 days but it's long days, how much do other nannies get, i'm not really experenced either, but minimum wage is 5.35 an hr now. Surely they gotta pay u that as it's the law.Any advise, dnt know wether i wanna do it. Also if u r driving ure car and got their kids in it, do you have to get some more insurance so the kids r insured, or not

OP posts:
Millarkie · 15/03/2007 10:07

£4 per hour is very low (but I do know some unexperienced nannys who earn that), but salaries depend on what part of the country you are in, and your experience. Have you asked if this is Net (they pay your tax on top) or Gross (your tax will be taken out of the 160) - have you checked that they will pay your tax? (it is a legal requirement but a lot of parents try not to). The minimum wage is calculated Gross - so if your salary is net it may still be legal.

Yes, if you use your car to drive their children you will need business insurance. It is also a good idea to take out liability insurance (try Micheal Morton).

Millarkie · 15/03/2007 10:08

£4 per hour is very low (but I do know some unexperienced nannys who earn that), but salaries depend on what part of the country you are in, and your experience. Have you asked if this is Net (they pay your tax on top) or Gross (your tax will be taken out of the 160) - have you checked that they will pay your tax? (it is a legal requirement but a lot of parents try not to). The minimum wage is calculated Gross - so if your salary is net it may still be legal.
(Assuming this is not a live-in job - if live-in it is a normal rate and the minimum wage does not apply)

Yes, if you use your car to drive their children you will need business insurance. It is also a good idea to take out liability insurance (try Micheal Morton).

daisy26 · 15/03/2007 10:14

yeh iv'e emailed them all this and just waiting for a reply, it's a live out job and it's in the Uk.Just waiting for a reply, but surely if ure working for someone they have to pay u minimum wage unless there r people who r willing ta take 4 an hr,i get 5.50 at the moment wiv an agency. But ill be starting monday if i take it, have to sort out insurance wldnt i soon? The prob though i'd take this being unexperienced but no way i use to work for that when i was like flipping 16. Also they r very well off people so that's just even more annoying

OP posts:
daisy26 · 15/03/2007 16:14

160 after tax 40p a mile exclluding back and to wrk, i gotta drve bt 6miles, is this ok? wrkn 8-6 for 4days, my bf said they shl be paying a bit more at least, the minimum newayz

OP posts:
Millarkie · 15/03/2007 16:39

According to my calculations, 160pw net = 183.46 gross so for 40 hours that gives you £4.58 per hour. It may be worth asking for minimum wage - but it depends how much you want the job to be honest. As i said before, I do know nannys who get £40 net per day, but they are all nursery nurses with no nannying experience or childcare qualifications. Once they have a year or two nannying experience they get at least £70 net per day in my (limited) experience.

daisy26 · 15/03/2007 16:50

i just wanna say yes but mY BF is putting me off,saying i shldn't let them pay me just that. Even £5 and hr dnt bother me really,but i am unemployed so it's either have a job or keep looking for other jobs which i dnt wanna do zzzzzzzz.i have asked them this waiting for a reply, i start monday lol if i say yes, they need to know asap in theory. saying in this job i dnt have to do allot of cleaning as some others do as they ave a cleaner who comes in.

OP posts:
daisy26 · 15/03/2007 17:18

Yeh got a two week trial they are happy to pay me the minimum wage and if need to pay extra for insurance will even pay for that to

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.