Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Confused about car seat regulations? Read our reviews of baby car seats, toddler car seats and booster seats to find out which ones are worth investing in.

Maxi cosi Nomad

Caspianberg · 04/07/2021 09:39

Has anyone used this seat for travel?

www.maxi-cosi.com/international/car-seats/nomad?color_swatch_id=5512

I have been looking at joie tilt/ grace extend for 15 month old for travel. Would ideally like rear facing, but they just seem so heavy/ bulky! Even though half the weight of our main fixed isofix sets at home ( which def can’t come with me)

I need to be able to transport myself, toddler, pram, luggage and car seat alone. Bonus points if it is faa approved for on flights.

Is there really nothing?

Is the nomad really suitable from 9months? Ds is currently 14 months and still in recline setting rear faced maxi cosi mica.

OP's posts:
Please
or

BertieBotts · 11/07/2021 07:42

It's suitable from 9 months in the same way any forward facing seat is suitable from 9 months - this is a recommendation from the 80s based on when children are able to sit unsupported, rather than it being anything to do with forward facing being safe at that age. It would of course be better than no car seat at all.

There aren't any UK seats which are FAA approved, the EU approval is TÜV approval for flights. He may well still fit into an infant carrier which might be the easiest thing - lots of infant carriers are TÜV approved and they fit onto pushchairs which helps a lot with portability.

Otherwise for TÜV approved seats for toddlers there are only three - Britax Eclipse which is forward facing, Nachfolger which is an inflatable rear facing one (sounds weird - is surprisingly solid) but costs about £300 and is really hard to find as the company sold the patent to a different one, and Diono Radian 5 which is RF/FF and folds up but is massively heavy! Also discontinued.

A lot of airlines don't actually need the TÜV/FAA approval and just want you to use a seat that is within certain dimensions. But bear in mind unless your baby has their own seat booked on the plane, you won't be able to use a car seat in any case.

Your other option is to look at importing an American seat but that could well be more expensive and difficult to judge whether the seat is any good.

Please
or

mitzi2019 · 11/07/2021 08:00

Hello - sorry to jump in on this - any idea where I can get buy this car seat in the UK, it looks amazing!

Please
or

BertieBotts · 11/07/2021 09:19

The nomad? I'm not sure if it's out in the UK yet as it only appears in their international site.

Please
or

Caspianberg · 11/07/2021 20:29

@BertieBotts - thanks. I ended up ordering the graco extend as wasn’t happy to forward face when I thought about it, as realistically we will do more motorway driving away than we do at home anyway. Couldn’t live with myself if we had an accident. I think also as we will be doing long drives he will sleep at various times.

I did try him locally in various maxi cosi and cybex infant seats but he didn’t really fit, he’s already pretty tall ( 85+cm).

FYI, the extend arrived ( couldn’t get joie anything delivered to our country). And I’m really pleased with quality so far. It has several positions, straps seems to adjust well and actually comes with a comfy looking newborn insert ( that we don’t need but looks ok). Instructions to install seem clear but Haven’t tried in car yet.

OP's posts:
Please
or

BertieBotts · 13/07/2021 12:14

Ah yeah fair enough on the infant carriers! Sounds like the Graco will be a good option :) It's a clone of the Joie Tilt, so any videos relating to that should also work for the Graco.

The insert is just required to be used up to 6 months, after this if you're rear facing then you can continue to use it for comfort - try him with and without. It can't be used if you forward face in the seat. You can only use the most reclined position for rear facing, which is a bit annoying but is to do with the rebound protection.

It is likely to be narrow enough to fit on plane seats, so if you did book a seat for him and the airline policy doesn't require TUV approval, that could be an option for you on flights.

Please
or

Caspianberg · 13/07/2021 16:13

Yes slightly annoying it can only be used in full recline rear facing, which wasn’t that clear when I ordered. However Ds still uses seat at home reclined so it shouldn’t be too much difference. Will see as time goes on. It was only €60 so for that price I’m not too concerned if it doesn’t get full use forever.

I will probably book his own seat for comfort when seatbelt signs off, but it’s a bit too awkward to lug through airport and security I think so will prob put in hold ( and just fill car seat bag with nappies or something to pad it out)

OP's posts:
Please
or

BertieBotts · 13/07/2021 16:26

As he's under 2, most airlines will have the policy of having him in a car seat if you've booked a seat for him, so I'd check this first before you book one.

Please
or

Caspianberg · 13/07/2021 17:45

I did check, it seems only in car seat if you want for whole duration. Otherwise they can sit on your lap for take off and landing like they would if travelling on lap only, and can then use extra seat when seatbelt signs off.

OP's posts:
Please
or

BertieBotts · 13/07/2021 19:46

Ah OK that seems fine then.

Please
or

WolfMother326 · 17/05/2022 10:14

@BertieBotts I just found this thread through Google and wonder if I could get your advice here (you helped me in another thread and I still haven't resolved the problem!) I'm looking for a forward facing car seat a 9 month old could use in his own seat on the plane, would the nomad be allowed? Virginia Atlantics policies are driving me batty.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.