Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Am I incredibly old-fashioned...

45 replies

DazedEmma · 10/06/2008 23:20

Or are celebrities calling their babies ridiculous names?!!

Have any of you mums called your child a crazy name?

Do you think they regret the name they choose later on? Has anyone regretted the name they chose for their little darlings?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Tortington · 10/06/2008 23:22

what spurned you to start this?

Please
or

DazedEmma · 10/06/2008 23:28

Jessica Alba called her baby Honor and it got me thinking about Harlow and other crazy names. It's just my opinion of course. My friend has just called her baby girl Honey and that other celeb who called her baby Stella... after the beer? Surely not!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Flibbertyjibbet · 10/06/2008 23:29

Er I think fifi trixibelle geldof is in her twenties now so its hardly a new trend.

I do know of someone who regretted the name she gave her son so badly, it made her so depressed that she didn't leave the house for months after she decided it was a mistake; she couldn't stand the fact that people might ask his name as all she got were shocked looks and raised eyebrows.

The name wasn't seriously crazy, just a very strange choice. I can't say what it is because its so unique that the family could be identified quite easily.

Please
or

ravenAK · 10/06/2008 23:29

Stella = 'star'. A bit old fashioned but hardly outlandish.

Please
or

shelleylou · 10/06/2008 23:30

can someone remind me houw old Honor Blackman is??? Cant be that much f NEW TREND

Please
or

RosaLuxembourg · 10/06/2008 23:31

Honor was quite a common name in Ireland a couple of generations ago.

Please
or

shelleylou · 10/06/2008 23:31

sorry about the caps

Please
or

Flibbertyjibbet · 10/06/2008 23:31

Stella is a proper girls name. I was at school with one in the 70s and there is Stella McCartney. As her siblings are called James and mary, there is nothing crazy about Paul McCartney's choice of names.

Honor Blackman is a very well respected (elderly) actress who was a complete sex bomb in her prime.

I really do need to get to bed now

Please
or

DazedEmma · 10/06/2008 23:31

Stella makes me think of Streetcar named Desire but reminded most of my friends of beer... could have something to do with the fact they're only 20 haha

OP's posts:
Please
or

RosaLuxembourg · 10/06/2008 23:31

Snap, Shelleylou!

Please
or

solo · 10/06/2008 23:32

I occasionally wish I'd not given Dd her name...then I love it again, but am quite wary about calling her it in public

Ds wishes he wwas called Matthew for some reason...sigh...

Please
or

MadBadandDangeroustoKnow · 10/06/2008 23:39

One person's ridiculous is another person's original or personally meaningful. I have quite trad tastes and wouldn't call a child Apple or Satchel, like Woody Allen did. And it's been suggested on other threads that a name like Honey-Kitten may sit oddly on a high court judge in 30 years time (or maybe not, if such names become prevalent). But anyone calling their child Stella - which I nearly did - isn't naming them after a beer. Stella is Latin for star and as such has been around for 2000 years and will be around long after the brand name is forgotten.

Please
or

MadBadandDangeroustoKnow · 10/06/2008 23:41

Ooops! Crossed with ravenak and flippertyjibbet.

Please
or

DazedEmma · 10/06/2008 23:48

Sometimes on here I feel quite young (I'm only 20) so you're right in that names aren't going to be loved by all. I just find some people go a little too far for a unique name. Rumour Willis for example. I'm going to call mine Banana.

OP's posts:
Please
or

MadBadandDangeroustoKnow · 10/06/2008 23:52

Wackiest name I've heard of is that Jason Thingummy, the star of My Name Is Earl, called his son Pilot Inspector.

Please
or

Clary · 10/06/2008 23:58

Honor and Stella are fairly regular names aren't they?

celebrities have always picked whacky names (as well as normal ones) - look at Frank Zappa's children Dweezil and Moonunit.

Or what about David's son Zowie Bowie. He must be about 35 now (tho I believe he calls himself Duncan or somesuch)

Please
or

Clary · 10/06/2008 23:59

Rumer is another old name - author Rumer Godden here was born 100 yrs ago.

Please
or

hatrick · 11/06/2008 07:31

Message withdrawn

Please
or

Bucharest · 11/06/2008 08:51

I don't think it's at all limited to celebrities.......I look at some birth announcements and it looks like they just pulled out a selection of letters from the scrabble bag...or thought to themselves "oooh pikkled-unyun, now that will be original....."

Please
or

kayzisexpecting · 11/06/2008 09:03

Shannyn Sossamon has a son called Audio Science.

Please
or

Shannyn Sossamon has a son called Audio Science.

Please
or

Ooops

Please
or

Buda · 11/06/2008 09:22

Was about to post that both Stella and Honor are 'normal' names.

There is an Apple at DS's school. She is in her 40s!

Please
or

Buda · 11/06/2008 09:23

Oh - she is a teaching assistant!

Please
or

belgo · 11/06/2008 09:24

I was thinking the exact opposite. How nice it is to hear of celebrities calling their offspring normal names such as Honor and Stella and Max and Emma.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?