My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

Brother to Max... Ari?

63 replies

Givemepickles · 13/02/2024 09:15

DH and I cannot find a boys' name we like. We only had Max as an option for DS1. We have a long surname so are set on max 2 syllables in the first name.

I like Ari but don't actually know any. Does it go with Max? Will we ever find it in toy shops and gift stores, when Max gets to choose something with his name on it will Ari always be left out?

How would you pronounce Ari? I know how I want it pronounced but don't know if that's the usual way!

Our other option is Charlie but I do not like Charles at all and don't think Charlie stands alone as a name.

Thoughts, ideas?

OP posts:
senua · 13/02/2024 09:18

How would you pronounce Ari? I know how I want it pronounced but don't know if that's the usual way!
My immediate thought was that everybody would think you were saying 'Arry (Harry).

GlobetrottingPercy · 13/02/2024 09:20

I know one and I hadn’t heard of anyone with the name before that. I would pronounce it as in sari but without the s.

TheBirdintheCave · 13/02/2024 09:26

AH-ree is how I'd pronounce it, but then, I know how it's pronounced 😅

I love it as a name but I'm not sure how well it goes with Max.

pinkdelight · 13/02/2024 09:28

Course Charlie stands alone as a name. Why wouldn't it?

That said, I don't think names on tatt in toy shops should be a deciding factor. You can get names printed on anything these days. I like Ari as in the director Ari Aster, but I think of it as a Jewish name, if that's remotely relevant. There is also the risk of it sounding like 'arry instead of Harry.

Givemepickles · 13/02/2024 09:47

Hmm so on this thread 2 people pronounce it how I say it and 2 how I don't want it said! I wonder if that's regional or just how people read it because it's not commonly known.

OP posts:
aquarimum · 13/02/2024 09:54

I work with an Ari (ah-ri) and he's amazing. He's also got a somewhat unusual surname.

OlderGlaswegianLivingInDevon · 13/02/2024 09:57

(H)arry

rainbowstardrops · 13/02/2024 10:02

I'd think you were saying 'Arry (as in Harry but too lazy to say the H!)

LiquoriceAllsorts2 · 13/02/2024 10:13

Yeh I agree with the last one I think there is the risk it would be pronounced as though they are just dropping the h in harry and being lazy which puts me off it.

LiquoriceAllsorts2 · 13/02/2024 10:14

I like Charlie and think it goes well with Max

Givemepickles · 13/02/2024 10:14

Ah lol so it seems more people think it's 'Arry than Ah-ree. I don't think you could confuse it from hearing me speak it as I'd say it Ah-ree. As @GlobetrottingPercy said, like sari but without the s. But I really dislike the idea of Arry so maybe it's off the table entirely. Neither Dh or I have an accent that could ever pronounce Harry without an H so I don't think people would be confused by us but they might guess that pronunciation from the spelling.

OP posts:
Givemepickles · 13/02/2024 10:17

@LiquoriceAllsorts2 I agree Charlie goes well with Max. I think it's a very common name for brothers already, which isn't necessarily bad and would mean they have equally common names. I'd have to get over the need to have a full name on the birth certificate though. Every friend I've mentioned Charlie too has nodded and said yes and Charles as the official name. I don't like Charles though.

OP posts:
Ozmumofboys3 · 13/02/2024 10:17

We have a Max and we also have an Olly (Oliver), I like Charlie. Don't think that Ari really goes with Max tbh. What about Dexter?

Gemstonebeach · 13/02/2024 10:19

I like Ari and think it goes with Max. Other options I think go are Hugo, August and Sam(uel).

Gemstonebeach · 13/02/2024 10:20

Oh and Jack.

DRS1970 · 13/02/2024 10:22

I think it would end up like someone from the eastend trying to say Harry. I would avoid it for that reason.

Inyourwildestdreams · 13/02/2024 10:31

We have a Max. If we are lucky enough to have another boy he will be Miles/Myles 😊

Givemepickles · 13/02/2024 10:39

I appreciate all the suggestions, thanks everyone. I find boy names so hard to like whereas I have loads of girl names I love. I do like the idea of another name beginning with M. I also liked the name Caspian but DH is a firm no on that (and it's 3 syllables so a bit much for the poor lad with our surname).

OP posts:
LadyBird1973 · 13/02/2024 10:46

How about Michael? 2 syllables, goes nicely

Onlyvisiting · 13/02/2024 10:53

I thought it was hebrew/Arabic and usually an abbreviation for a longer name. The one I know is Ariel (boy. I'd say AH re (emphasis on the a, short e.) So not Arry.

Onelife2024 · 13/02/2024 10:53

I definitely prefer Charlie, and I think that goes brilliantly with Max. I honestly don’t think you need to put Charles on the birth certificate if you don’t like it, Charlie is so commonly used as a standalone name now that it doesn’t sound too nicknamey in my opinion (I actually know someone who changed his name by deed poll from Charles to Charlie as he disliked the formal version so much!)

I’m not keen on Ari I’m afraid, I thought it was said like Harry without an H too, and it sounds like the subject R.E when said correctly.

AmaryllisChorus · 13/02/2024 10:55

I'd go for another 1-syllable name:

James
Luke
Sam
Tom
Jack
George
Frank
Hugh
Fred
Will
Art
Josh
Jake
Ralph/Rafe
Stan

I like Ari a lot but will he get 'Arry?

What about Leo?

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

TheBirdintheCave · 13/02/2024 11:09

Here's a question. Does Max have a full name on his birth certificate? If not, and you've just used the diminutive there rather than Maximilian, then I wouldn't worry about using Charles for Charlie.

Givemepickles · 13/02/2024 11:13

@TheBirdintheCave that's a good question, he's just Max. I'd never even heard the name Maximilian until I looked up the name Max for him. I always thought the name Max was a full name so I guess I never felt the same as I do Charles and Charlie. I know lots of people think it's silly but it's just how I feel about that name.

OP posts:
SerenityNowInsanityLater · 13/02/2024 11:17

The letter R and then long ee is how it’s pronounced.
It’s a popular name in Israel and not so much ‘popular’ but more known in the States as a Hebrew name. I’m American, hence my reference to the States where I know a few guys called Ari (all Jewish friends).

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.