My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

Carwen?

52 replies

Wondersense · 21/01/2024 16:15

A Welsh female name, pronounced Kar-ooehn.

Thoughts?

OP posts:
regenerate · 21/01/2024 16:17

are you and / or partner welsh?

in itself no i don’t like at all

but if you were in Wales… i suppose different 🤷‍♀️

TopicalNameChange · 21/01/2024 16:18

Where in Wales are you? Where I am we'd pronounce it Kahr - wen I think. I like it

MarjorieDanvers · 21/01/2024 16:21

I would pronounce as set out by @TopicalNameChange and use the spelling Carwyn

MarjorieDanvers · 21/01/2024 16:22

i’m from SE Wales though!

MarjorieDanvers · 21/01/2024 16:26

I also know it predominantly as a male name (Carwyn James - rugby player & Carwyn Jones - politics)

Vladandnikki · 21/01/2024 16:28

Carwyn is male, Carwen is female, they're different names and not pronounced the same.

MarjorieDanvers · 21/01/2024 16:28

I quite like Welsh male names used for women (Dylan/Gareth etc) though

foreverbasil · 21/01/2024 16:29

Only heard it as a man's name and it's a very Welsh pronunciation (r is rolled)

MarjorieDanvers · 21/01/2024 16:31

Apologies I see you are right @Vladandnikki - though I’ve never come across it before (though did know a Ceinwen!).

Onelife2024 · 21/01/2024 16:36

It’s quite nice but there are other Welsh girls names ending in wen that I prefer, my favourites are-

Anwen (love this) nn Annie
Rhoswen, nn Rhos
Bronwen, nn Bronnie

Wondersense · 21/01/2024 17:03

@TopicalNameChange I write it that way because I'm a native Welsh speaker from North Wales. I'm not sure if this is what you were referring to, but the rounded, almost posh 'ah' sound is a distinctly English one. What I'm referring to is the way people from sourthern England say 'ah' in 'Bath' as opposed to the more open 'a' sound in 'sand' or 'tap'. People from Northern England also have that flatter, more open 'a' too.

That more rounded, Southern-English 'ah' doesn't exist in the Welsh language, and when you do hear a Welsh speaker say it, it's usually because they speak it as a 2nd language. Even some Welsh accents in Wales are influenced by English, so even though they might have an incredibly strong Welsh accent when speaking English, they bring some English derived pronunciation habits when they learn and use Welsh as a secondary language.

OP posts:
Wondersense · 21/01/2024 17:03

foreverbasil · 21/01/2024 16:29

Only heard it as a man's name and it's a very Welsh pronunciation (r is rolled)

That would be 'Carwyn', the male version.

@MarjorieDanvers Calling a girl 'Gareth' or 'Dylan' is like calling a girl David, John or Garry in English.

OP posts:
Abhannmor · 21/01/2024 17:06

Love it. Isn't Carwyn a boys name ? Guessing the 'Car' part means Friend. Anyway I just like the sound.

Abhannmor · 21/01/2024 17:08

Sorry OP , cross posted

DaNiYmaOHyd · 21/01/2024 17:30

@Wondersense , Your pronunciation explanation is a bit confusing

Carwen is CARR-wenn (carr like in carry)

It's not Car-win. (like in motor car and /Unwin)

I've never heard it or seen it, but I've never seen Rhoswen either.

@MarjorieDanvers , Gareth and Dylan for girls are like calling them Darren and Ian. Or like calling a boy Susan or Gillian.

@Abhannmor , the car is like in Carys, and is usually taken to mean love

Wondersense · 21/01/2024 17:44

DaNiYmaOHyd · 21/01/2024 17:30

@Wondersense , Your pronunciation explanation is a bit confusing

It's not Car-win. (like in motor car and /Unwin)

I've never heard it or seen it, but I've never seen Rhoswen either.

@MarjorieDanvers , Gareth and Dylan for girls are like calling them Darren and Ian. Or like calling a boy Susan or Gillian.

@Abhannmor , the car is like in Carys, and is usually taken to mean love

Probably depends on the area. It is a more unusual name, but there are both of those names around in real life.

OP posts:
DaNiYmaOHyd · 21/01/2024 17:55

@Wondersense , quite possibly. I can think of lots of -wen names including some 'unique' ones. (won't repeat them because they are one-offs)

The mispronunciations would put me off and they seem very dated, but if you like it, use it.

Rhoswen runs the risk of being said as rose-win or ross-win. It's RHOSS-wenn, but shortens to Rhose (ish)

KnickerlessParsons · 21/01/2024 23:10

Wondersense · 21/01/2024 16:15

A Welsh female name, pronounced Kar-ooehn.

Thoughts?

That's not how it's pronounced at all!

Scottyme · 22/01/2024 07:59

You don't hear it much as a girls name so most have only ever heard it as a man's name. There are very different dialects, which I think is causing the confusion over pronunciation here. A north walien dialect is very different from West walien dialect which is different from a south walien dialect which is different from a mid walien dialect.

DaNiYmaOHyd · 22/01/2024 08:09

@Scottyme , it's not a man's name, and dialect won't change how it sounds.
Accent won't change it particularly unless you don't speak Welsh very well. If you can't sound your Rs, it will sound different.

The man's name is Carwyn. The -wyn indicates a man; -wen indicates a woman. Saying Carwen is a boy's name is equivalent to saying Louise is a boy's name.

@KnickerlessParsons , I wouldn't know how to interpret Kar-ooehn.

OhItsOnlyCynthia · 22/01/2024 08:14

I like the name, but I too pronounce it like a pp:

DaNiYmaOHyd · 22/01/2024 08:16

Is it just me who sees 'carw'?

Elain is quite a nice name.

Wondersense · 22/01/2024 19:31

KnickerlessParsons · 21/01/2024 23:10

That's not how it's pronounced at all!

I'm a native Welsh speaker from Gwynedd, so I assure you, although I may have written it in a less than ideal way, I do know how it's pronounced. 🙄

OP posts:
KnickerlessParsons · 22/01/2024 22:58

Say what you like. Where I'm from ( also Wales) Carwen isn't pronounced Kar-ooehn.

Kar-ooehn would be a ridiculous name. Carwen is lovely.

Nolla · 22/01/2024 23:25

I do find the -ooehn ending of pronunciation a bit odd as my understanding is that -wen names are pronounced as -when

I say that having a Welsh friend from North Wales with one of the aforementioned names who is very empathetic about having the English pronounce her name correctly.

I do see you're proud and passionate about your language and heritage but there is a bit of a reality base here that English speaking people probably will mispronounce it at least initially- though of course when corrected they should make an effort and do so correctly.

(My Welsh friend was suggesting names to me though and I genuinely couldn't pronounce them as I couldn't make the correct sound!)

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.