My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

Carwen?

52 replies

Wondersense · 21/01/2024 16:15

A Welsh female name, pronounced Kar-ooehn.

Thoughts?

OP posts:
Frizzwald · 23/01/2024 06:38

My neighbours son and a couple of DH's colleagues are called Carwyn and I hear the 'o' sound the OP is talking about when they say their name.
I think Carwen is lovely but I feel people would perhaps mistake it for Karen.

Lol at a woman called Gareth, it's like a man being called Elizabeth.

DaNiYmaOHyd · 23/01/2024 10:35

The way OP has written the pronunciation looks like the name would be Ca(r)ŵen. (Car OO enn). Smile

though of course when corrected they should make an effort and do so correctly. Who wants to spend their life correcting people? People generally don't like being corrected.

(My Welsh friend was suggesting names to me though and I genuinely couldn't pronounce them as I couldn't make the correct sound!)
This. Someone was talking to me about a mutual acquaintance. I had no idea who it was until the name was spelled. (In was something like Einir, other person said Eye-nee-uh)

If someone can't say the name, basically you have to put up with the way they say it. You might not mind if it's something like Cleo for Llio, but would mind if it was Thlee-oo-koo/Klee-oo-ky for Lleucu. (Llio and Lleucu are both lovely).

empathetic - I think you meant emphatic.

Wondersense · 23/01/2024 15:04

@Nolla No that's ok - I realise I didn't explain it very well phonetically (not sure if that's the right term) for English speakers so I think I've confused posters with this.

OP posts:
Wondersense · 23/01/2024 15:08

@Frizzwald You might be the only one. 😆 I think I've just confused everyone here with my explanation of it!

I wrote 'oo' because to me, that's how I would describe 'w' to English speakers, but I should have just used 'w' I think. Like if I were to explain how to say 'wait', I would write it as 'oo-eh-ee-t'.

OP posts:
Wondersense · 23/01/2024 15:11

KnickerlessParsons · 22/01/2024 22:58

Say what you like. Where I'm from ( also Wales) Carwen isn't pronounced Kar-ooehn.

Kar-ooehn would be a ridiculous name. Carwen is lovely.

Thank you for your permission to say what I like. 😂

OP posts:
regenerate · 23/01/2024 15:45

what have you decided OP?

DaNiYmaOHyd · 23/01/2024 16:19

I wrote 'oo' because to me, that's how I would describe 'w' to English speakers, but I should have just used 'w' I think. Like if I were to explain how to say 'wait', I would write it as 'oo-eh-ee-t'.
Weyt or weight would make more sense.

mathanxiety · 23/01/2024 17:22

Frizzwald · 23/01/2024 06:38

My neighbours son and a couple of DH's colleagues are called Carwyn and I hear the 'o' sound the OP is talking about when they say their name.
I think Carwen is lovely but I feel people would perhaps mistake it for Karen.

Lol at a woman called Gareth, it's like a man being called Elizabeth.

YY to the O sound. You don't go straight from the R to the W - there's a schwa that's close to an oo sound in there.

DaNiYmaOHyd · 23/01/2024 17:35

There isn't. It's 2 straightforward syllables. Carr-wen.
No more syllables than Owen, Anwen, Alwyn, Dolwen etc

Frizzwald · 23/01/2024 17:59

The Carwyns I know seem to roll the r slightly which I think gives the o sound.
The best audio I can find that sounds similar is this one it's not exactly right though.

DaNiYmaOHyd · 23/01/2024 18:09

There's no o or schwa in that. I don't know any Carwyns but I know a few Arwyns and people with names like Berwyn. No o or schwa.

The clip sounds like the r is slightly overemphasised. Could just be the accent or audio quality.

PudgeControlsTheWeather · 23/01/2024 18:22

I think it's beautiful. I love Carwyn (obvs for a boy), and Carwen for a girl is gorgeous.

If you're in England, I'd be prepared for people to say 'Car-wun', though. (Signed: a Rhiannon who's long resigned to being Ree-ann-un.)

Frizzwald · 23/01/2024 18:35

As I said it's not exactly the same but it's more like I have heard it than other audio I could find that were like the English words Car and Win, where as the way the guys I've met say it would be more like Car and Ruin.
I was in Berwyn house in primary and that was said in the same way, the Berw like Pentre Berw and in.
I guess it must be regional accent thing or maybe it's my just my ears!

Alessya · 23/01/2024 18:36

My first thought was it reminds me of one of those ‘We buy any car’ companies like Carwow. But then it kinda grew on me. I wonder if it’s etymologically related to Caroline and Carina.

Anyway if you like it and it fits in in Wales then that’s all that matters.

Whataretheodds · 23/01/2024 18:42

@Wondersense I like it, and I understand what you were trying to do in rendering the pronunciation of the r and w!

Do you live in a Welsh-speaking area?

DaNiYmaOHyd · 23/01/2024 18:43

Probably your ears, @Frizzwald Smile

@Alessya , not etymologically related to either. Caroline is from the Latin for Charles, and Carina is Latin for the keel of a ship. The Car in Carwen, Carwyn, Carys is from the latin caritas (love/charity)

Chichimcgee · 23/01/2024 18:45

To me and I accept this is likely only me! It sounds like Karen with a speech impediment and I’m not a fan BUT the important thing is if you like it!

Chichimcgee · 23/01/2024 18:47

PudgeControlsTheWeather · 23/01/2024 18:22

I think it's beautiful. I love Carwyn (obvs for a boy), and Carwen for a girl is gorgeous.

If you're in England, I'd be prepared for people to say 'Car-wun', though. (Signed: a Rhiannon who's long resigned to being Ree-ann-un.)

I have a family member called Rhiannon who pronounced it ree an un, how should it be pronounced?

DaNiYmaOHyd · 23/01/2024 18:52

RHee-ANN-onn. There's no R in it.
Rh is one letter and sounds like R and H said at the same time.
Usually colloquially it's said as two syllables like RHYANN-on

Rhian is RHEE-ann

Chichimcgee · 23/01/2024 18:56

DaNiYmaOHyd · 23/01/2024 18:52

RHee-ANN-onn. There's no R in it.
Rh is one letter and sounds like R and H said at the same time.
Usually colloquially it's said as two syllables like RHYANN-on

Rhian is RHEE-ann

My mouth can’t make that sound so I’m lucky my family member pronounces it as ree 🙈 she was named after the fleetwood Mac song and that sounds like ree Ann un to me lol

DaNiYmaOHyd · 23/01/2024 19:02

@Chichimcgee , I wasn't named after the Fleetwood Mac song Sara. Smile

Wondersense · 23/01/2024 19:10

@Frizzwald Car-win is actually a really good way of describing the male form 'Carwyn', and actually would like resemble how most native English speakers would say the female form as well, (as they have a tendency to clip or 'swallow' that final vowel) which wouldn't really bother me tbh. I think it would be said more like car-w'n.

OP posts:

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Wondersense · 23/01/2024 19:13

Chichimcgee · 23/01/2024 18:45

To me and I accept this is likely only me! It sounds like Karen with a speech impediment and I’m not a fan BUT the important thing is if you like it!

Yes I can see why someone would think that. I'm not super attached to it, just wondering what native English speakers in particular would think of it. Obviously Mumsnet has a broad base, but as an English language site, is mostly going to be populated by people who speak only or mainly English.

OP posts:
Wondersense · 23/01/2024 19:15

@Whataretheodds Thank you. That makes you and 1 other person that got it. 😎 Yes I do live in a Welsh speaking area.

OP posts:
Wondersense · 23/01/2024 19:17

@Alessya I value your input. That's why I posted on here.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.