My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

How to officially register Megan Rose

61 replies

Taybz · 17/11/2023 01:20

We've recently welcomed our little girl into the world and need to register her name officially soon. Would you register Megan as her first name and Rose as her middle name or write Megan-Rose as the first name with no middle name? If the latter, would you need to write the hyphen?

OP posts:
salamithumbs · 17/11/2023 01:27

I would go for Megan as the first name and Rose as the middle rather than a hyphen!

OrderOfTheKookaburra · 17/11/2023 01:28

Hyphenated names are a pain in the butt. One of my friends has one and insistent on them both being used and it's such a mouthful, I use her initials instead. She prefers that to just the first part of her name.

theduchessofspork · 17/11/2023 01:54

salamithumbs · 17/11/2023 01:27

I would go for Megan as the first name and Rose as the middle rather than a hyphen!

Yep

Hyphens are the work of the devil and you don’t want her in the Lexi-Mai camp

LiquoriceAllsorts2 · 17/11/2023 05:06

Rose as middle name

mathanxiety · 17/11/2023 05:20

Sweet names.

I'd keep them as first name and middle name, no hyphen.

Rainbowqueeen · 17/11/2023 06:19

Gorgeous name

I would have Rose as the middle name

olympicsrock · 17/11/2023 06:26

Rose as middle name

Boymum2104 · 17/11/2023 07:29

Love the name but living with a hyphenated is a real pain, I have one! Go for rose as a middle name imo

peaceinourtime · 17/11/2023 09:43

No hyphen

Taybz · 17/11/2023 12:15

So with Rose as the middle name, would we introduce her as just Megan when saying her first name? We'd like both parts said as her first name - wouldn't be a mouthful right since it's not long?

OP posts:
Taybz · 17/11/2023 12:18

Boymum2104 · 17/11/2023 07:29

Love the name but living with a hyphenated is a real pain, I have one! Go for rose as a middle name imo

Thanks! Excuse my ignorance perhaps but what's the issue with the hyphen? Does ut confuse people?

OP posts:
HardcoreLadyType · 17/11/2023 12:20

If her name is to be Megan-Rose, then register her as that, and introduce her as that.

People are likely to assume that Rose is a middle name, when they hear it, but you can just politely correct them.

Congratulations, and welcome to the world, little Megan-Rose!

Constellationstation · 17/11/2023 12:23

I would do Megan as first name and Rose as second name. Giving someone two first names makes me think of Texans. Or Sue-Ellen Braverman. I would have thought that she/other people would drop the Rose part anyway when she’s older, whether it’s part of her official name or not.
Nothing to stop you calling her Megan Rose, even if Rose is registered as the second name.

notmorezoom · 17/11/2023 12:24

Just call her Megan. Or Rose. Not both as a first name.

JanewaysBun · 17/11/2023 12:25

I would have Rose as a middle name. It's super common atm and dilutes Megan, which is a fab name and will stand out amongst the crowd.

Boymum2104 · 17/11/2023 12:26

@Taybz as a kid I just wished I had a 'normal' name & used to get asked why I had 2 names etc!
As an adult it is a bit of a nightmare with paperwork. Quite a few websites you cannot add '-' or even a space to your name as they class it as a special character (ridiculous lol)!
Recently I signed up to a doctors & they registered me as just my 1st name (not the 2nd hyphenated part aswell) and because the midwives had me down correctly I received 3 fines for my prescriptions due to my maternity exemption certificate being a 'different name'.
That being said her name Megan Rose is beautiful but I wouldn't personally go for 2 names x

Scruffington · 17/11/2023 12:27

If you're going to call her Megan Rose day-to-day put Megan Rose as her first name. No hyphen.

CurlsLDN · 17/11/2023 12:29

If you really want people to know her as Megan-Rose then register that as her first name, and call her it consistently.
personally I do find it a mouthful as I know Megan as a complete name, but it’s up to you.
I have a child in my family called X-rose and everyone just calls her X even though she has the full hyphenated name on her birth cert (not her actual name of course!)

@Constellationstation Ms Braverman is called Suella, all one word, no hyphen, not sue-Ellen

Scruffington · 17/11/2023 12:33

CurlsLDN · 17/11/2023 12:29

If you really want people to know her as Megan-Rose then register that as her first name, and call her it consistently.
personally I do find it a mouthful as I know Megan as a complete name, but it’s up to you.
I have a child in my family called X-rose and everyone just calls her X even though she has the full hyphenated name on her birth cert (not her actual name of course!)

@Constellationstation Ms Braverman is called Suella, all one word, no hyphen, not sue-Ellen

Her official birth name is Sue-Ellen. After the character from Dallas.

Bet she hates that!

hehe

CurlsLDN · 17/11/2023 12:35

Ohhh I didn’t know that! I stand corrected!

Onceuponaheatache · 17/11/2023 12:37

@Taybz MN hates hyphenated names so you probably won't get a fair hearing here.

My dd has a hyphenated name, it comes to 3 syllables so not excessive and isn't a mouthful. If you want it to all be used as her daily name then you will need to hyphenated when you register. Megan-Rose is beautiful!!

There are several kids in her class (boys and girls) with hyphenated. Dd loves her name and the history behind it.

HoHoHoliday · 17/11/2023 12:37

Megan first name, Rose second name. Very pretty name choices!

Nothing to stop you calling her Megan Rose and introducing her to others as that. But I think you are very likely to start calling her Megan pretty quickly.

Bobbotgegrinch · 17/11/2023 12:41

Hyphenated names always end up sounding like a mouthful, I'm afraid. Take Megan-Rose and Annabel. Both 3 syllables, but because you're having to enunciate the space is sounds longer.

People will end up just calling her Megan whether you hyphenate it of not, so you may as well just use it as a middle name

AlltheFs · 17/11/2023 12:46

Hyphens are very tacky, and a class signifier (if that bothers you). I absolutely wouldn’t hyphenate it, she won’t thank you as an adult.

Rose is much nicer as a middle name only but if you want to use Rose daily then the first name should be Megan Rose. But that will also be a PITA for her and you can expect that correspondence etc will always be wrong and leave out Rose.

Either way around it is problematic.

Doublebiscuit77 · 17/11/2023 12:56

In general Mumsnet doesn't seem to like hyphens (considers them lower-class or American) so i don't think you'll find many supporters for Megan-Rose. But if you want the whole thing to be her first name, hyphenating would be easiest. A lot of babies have hyphenated names in real life. Congratulations!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.