My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

Boy name help - Beau, Jacques or Miles

89 replies

afrenchmum · 11/06/2023 18:35

Hi all,

Due in September and struggling on a boys name. It’s between Beau, Miles and Jacques. What do we think of each name and which is your favourite. Thanks in advance for the help!

OP posts:
ThatFraggle · 11/06/2023 21:33

afrenchmum · 11/06/2023 21:05

Gosh this has caused a stir! Maeva and James from Made in Chelsea have named their son Beau and she is French - with French parents and born/ raised in France. Seems they would be okay taking Beau to France, so I’m interested if any people blasting taking Beau to France have any true idea or are just making assumptions. There are some very interesting perspectives nonetheless.

I do love Jude but worry it is the next Teddy/ Theo etc (both great names but wildly popular where we are).

You can't think the things attention -seeking reality z Listers do are something to copy.

You might as well call him Apple/Pomme and be done with it.

MargotBamborough · 11/06/2023 21:56

afrenchmum · 11/06/2023 21:05

Gosh this has caused a stir! Maeva and James from Made in Chelsea have named their son Beau and she is French - with French parents and born/ raised in France. Seems they would be okay taking Beau to France, so I’m interested if any people blasting taking Beau to France have any true idea or are just making assumptions. There are some very interesting perspectives nonetheless.

I do love Jude but worry it is the next Teddy/ Theo etc (both great names but wildly popular where we are).

I live in France and yeah, people here would find it ridiculous.

But if it's got the seal of approval from Made in Chelsea...

🙄

UnaVaca · 11/06/2023 22:00

Oh my god Jacques is not Jacks - hideous pronunciation.

afrenchmum · 11/06/2023 22:12

@Crimblecrumble1990 didn’t realise it was so undervalued. For what it’s worth I think it’s a great name, strong, not overused and love how it looks written down. Surprisingly, this thread hasn’t put me off.. people will always comment on things they don’t like over things they do! Team Beau all the way!

OP posts:
ellenpartridge · 11/06/2023 22:12

Miles is the best on the list.

Jack, Jules, Jude etc all fine but definitely not Jacques prn as Jax. Ridiculous.

RoseDeWittBukatter · 11/06/2023 22:14

Beau, how do you pronounce this?

SheilaFentiman · 11/06/2023 22:16

You pronounce it Bo

afrenchmum · 11/06/2023 22:18

@dartsofcupid Rafe is very charming isn’t it. The replacement of P/ F doesn’t overly bother me as there are so many names with the tendancy to be ridiculed in some way. Unless you’re Jack or James, you could have a hard time whatever you’re called. With all the Arlo’s, Otto’s, Teddy’s etc about, I think this next generation of names will be just as out there as the next, and kids will start caring less and less about the names of their peers. Especially as a point of contention/ bait for bullying. Funnily enough we did think of Jules, and I really like it on an adult, not sure I can picture it on a baby up to teen though!

OP posts:
ChildrenOfTheQuorn · 11/06/2023 22:31

So basically you like reality show names?(Made in Chelsea & Love Island)

Daisybuttercup12345 · 11/06/2023 23:45

Jack or Miles.

TakingTheHorseToFrance · 12/06/2023 00:07

I vote Beau. My nephew is called Beau. We have travelled to france with him and no one has batted an eye at his name, shock horror .... maybe we encountered open minded people (or maybe they did ridicule him behind his back!!!).

Pemba · 12/06/2023 00:59

I am sorry, I just find Beau to be a bit tacky as a name. Not very classy at all. Open to ridicule.

Jacques is quite nice, pronounced correctly. Classic. May be out of fashion in France (no idea) I would check that first.

Miles is nice, the best choice I think.

mathanxiety · 12/06/2023 01:45

Go with Miles, Jude or Jack.

Or Jackson if you might call him 'Jacks' for short.

You may never move to Ireland, but if you do, you'll find that the jacks is the loo.

Smallonesaremorejuicy · 12/06/2023 01:51

Miles

Theoldwoman · 12/06/2023 02:33

No a fan of Beau. Beauden is nicer.

Love Jacques.

Miles is sort of a dull name to me.

Scirocco · 12/06/2023 07:18

'Beauden'... 🤦🏻‍♀️

Roselilly36 · 12/06/2023 07:21

I have always liked the name Beau, did not use it for either of my DS’ and we knew a Beau (US)

afrenchmum · 12/06/2023 07:33

How about Bodhi?

OP posts:
LolaSmiles · 12/06/2023 07:47

I know a couple of people who've called their children Jax or Jaxson with a nickname of Jax.

Most people would not pronounce Jacques as Jacks and the poor child will go through life having to correct people using the correct pronunciation to his parents' incorrect version.

Like PP I don't like Beau.

Miles, Jack or even Jackson would work.

CrushOnJonah · 12/06/2023 08:01

Out of the three, Miles.

I think the other names you've listed as contenders are all better though.

Beau is hideous, I don't understand the popularity.

EggInANest · 12/06/2023 08:12

Jude or Rafe

Daffodilwoman · 12/06/2023 08:17

Do not call your child Jaxon, Jackson or Jackson, I’ve seen them all- hideous name.
Go with Beau if you like it.
Plenty of children called names such as Grace who are anything but graceful.

Pemba · 12/06/2023 10:46

afrenchmum · 12/06/2023 07:33

How about Bodhi?

Well it's a lot better than Beau, that's for sure! And still has the 'bo' sound you obviously like, so worth considering?

Bodhi has a surfer dude type of feel.

AuntieJune · 12/06/2023 10:59

Beau is a silly name, why call a child Bo - why not Po, Mo, Ro etc? Sorry Peau, Meau, Reau. It's a silly name

Jacques sounds pretentious

Miles is ok

Honestly if there's one French grandparent do you need to signal this by having an ever-so-different French name? Like Thomas and Lucas and Leo and Paul are fairly popular French names as well? Would you call a child Robert and insist everyone says it Rob-erh like the French?

BlueMoonCity · 12/06/2023 11:08

Love Beau
Like Miles
Not a fan of Jaques Smile

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.