Mumsnet Logo
My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Baby names

Determined not to have nameless baby, please help! (Eve or Evie?)

36 replies

pobletsmum · 09/02/2008 20:18

DH and I are struggling to find a name for our 2nd child, due on wednesday.

We both like Eve, but I don't think it works with our choice of middle name, May, and our 1 syllable surname ie. 'Eve May xxxxx'. I think it's all too '1-syllablish'! DH can't see a problem with this.

We also quite like Evie, which goes much better with May and surname ie. 'Evie May xxxxx'. However, we prefer Eve, because it can be changed to Evie while baby is little, if we like, whereas I think we're less likely to ever be able to change Evie to Eve.

So... please tell me what you think of the '1-syllableness'/lack of flow for 'Eve May xxxxx', whether you think 'Evie' is ever shortened to 'Eve', and failing all else, can anyone think of a different, pretty, multisyllabic middle name that does go with 'Eve'? (although I would be very reluctant not to use 'May', which is a family name).

Thanks!

OP posts:

Milliways · 09/02/2008 20:19

Evelyn? You can then shorten to either Eve or Evie - both are lovely

yama · 09/02/2008 20:20

Both are lovely.

What about Eva?

themildmanneredjanitor · 09/02/2008 20:20

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cappuccino · 09/02/2008 20:20

I can't see a problem at all with Eve May Thing

PortAndLemon · 09/02/2008 20:21

What about Evelyn May? Then you can use Eve or Evie for short. Otherwise, if you really like Eve and really want to use May, I'd just name her Eve May xxxxx and forget the fact that it doesn't flow 100% perfectly -- it doesn't sound actively bad, after all.

pootleflump · 09/02/2008 20:21

I'd go for Eve but call her Evie. Can't see a problem with the syllables - how often is she going to be called by her full name? - prob not very often.

jellies · 09/02/2008 20:22

Evelyn May is a stunning name, very gracefull

neolara · 09/02/2008 20:22

I think Evie May is gorgeous.

fingerwoman · 09/02/2008 20:22

I think if you really like Eve then do it.
you'll find that you virtually never need to use all 3 names anyway, so the 1-syllable thing isn't going to matter.
I could probably count on one hand the number of times I have ever said either of the ds's full names out loud

pootleflump · 09/02/2008 20:23

I mean full name as in Eve May Name. It sounds fine anyway but she will really only be known as Eve Name.

alfiesbabe · 09/02/2008 20:25

Either Eve - and then call her Evie (but don't have Evie on her birth certificate - it's not a proper name!!)
Or, best of all, Evelyn May - what a classy name, truly lovely, and you can abbreviate to Eve/Evie if you want

MyOtherPersonalityIsTheSaneOne · 09/02/2008 20:25

Erm...i agree with the OP about the syllables, sorry. But then that's why DD3 has got two middle names! And DD1 and 2 have none. DH also has no middle name and his first name is 1 syllable.

Aero · 09/02/2008 20:26

Eva May sounds nice. My nice is Eva and I love the name. I like Evie too though. People grow into their names, so I wouldn't worry too much about it not seeming a suitable grown up name. I know an Evie who's about 70. It suits her fine, and believe me, she's a strong woman indeed.

MyOtherPersonalityIsTheSaneOne · 09/02/2008 20:26

Yeah but Evelyn - wasn't she a character in He-Man?

NutterlyUts · 09/02/2008 20:27

Another vote for Evelyn May here

MyOtherPersonalityIsTheSaneOne · 09/02/2008 20:28

Hope nobody noticed the inane comment(s)

PortAndLemon · 09/02/2008 20:29

I don't think so (more than you ever wanted to know about He-Man).

Sidge · 09/02/2008 20:31

I prefer Eve to Evie but Eva May flows better.

My granny is called Evelyn, so even though I think it's a pretty name it has old lady connotations for me! (sorry)

I also like Eve Alice and Eve Elizabeth.

PortAndLemon · 09/02/2008 20:32

Ah, right -- you mean Evil-Lyn!

That's impressively obscure...

Lauriefairycake · 09/02/2008 20:35

I love Eve and Evie (I want to call my daughter Evie Grace). I think they both go with May but there is obviously a tiny possibility of getting the piss taken with Eve May - kids chanting "Eve May" as in Eve does........

Ava May would also be lovely

noonar · 09/02/2008 20:35

i much prefer evie. i also think that a 1 syllable name and surname can sound a bit 'abrupt' iyswim. never mind the middle name- i think a 2nd syllable would sound better.

dh has a popular name that is often abbreviated, but when using his surname too, he uses the longer version of his name, as it flows better. for example, i think david smith sounds better than dave smith. (thats not dh's name- though- just a very bad example!)

pobletsmum · 09/02/2008 20:37

This is really helping thanks.

Not keen on Evelyn; DH doesn't like Eva.

I agree neolara that 'Evie May' is gorgeous, but worry about what themildmanneredjanitor said about it being cute for a baby, hence wondering about shortening when baby grows up (but think Eve isn't an automatic shortening of Evie, somehow). The silly thing is that as a baby, we will almost definitely call her 'Evie' anyway.

Alfiesbabe - not sure about Evie not being a proper name - it's among the top 20 or so names for girls for 2007.

As for the syllables, most of you seem to be siding with DH about it not mattering (glad you agree with me myotherpersonality ). I suppose what I'm thinking about is that the first time we tell everyone DD's name, we'll be telling them all 3 names, so people will notice/remember if it sounds odd.

Now watch me have a son, not the daughter I'm expecting! (We have boy's name sussed!)

OP posts:

suwoo · 09/02/2008 20:44

Evie is very 'now', don't know if this is a factor for you? I love the name Evie, it was to be DS middle name, had he been a girl.

alfiesbabe · 09/02/2008 20:44

Oh i know - alfie, millie and ellie are up there too in the top 20. But it doesnt change the fact that they're abbreviations.

Heated · 09/02/2008 20:44

Evelyn, Genevieve, Genevra, Vivienne...

Can all be shortened to Evie or just go with Evie!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?