My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

Both want Grandads name as middle name

53 replies

Purpletopaz42 · 16/09/2022 21:22

My husband and I are very close to our Grandads and we'd both long decided if we had a boy, we'd use their name as the middle name, William and George. We can't agree on which Grandads name to use, so as a compromise we thought about using both but I don't know if two middle names are too pretentious or long winded?

We like Arthur or Edward, so it would be either:

Arthur George William
Arthur William George
Edward George William
Edward William George?

The other option is to use one as the first name and one as middle name, so either:

George William
William George

But firstly how do we decide who's Grandad to put first and secondly, we visit our Grandads quite often so if we did use one as a first name, would that get too confusing?

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thank you

OP posts:
Guiltypleasures001 · 16/09/2022 22:11

Both mine boy and girl had their grandads and grandmothers names
So two middle names each

glitterfarts · 16/09/2022 22:12

Will the child have either grandads surname? If so, that grandads name 3rd.

mummabubs · 16/09/2022 22:15

We've got a right mix in our family. My mum doesn't have a middle name at all, me and my siblings all have 1 middle name and my children both have 2. (Our second dc had 1 at birth but then we added another one a few days later!) I think it's quite commonly done at the moment to be fair.

mummabubs · 16/09/2022 22:16

And for what it's worth, I think George William rolls better than the other way around personally. :)

Ihatethenewlook · 16/09/2022 22:19

Whatsthepointofmosquitos · 16/09/2022 21:38

Definitely do two middle names

I think Arthur William George sounds best.

Btw, you do know all the names you mention are very royal?

This. George William sounds horrible and clunky already without sticking the last name on too. William George sounds a lot better

wateraddict · 16/09/2022 22:19

Arthur William George for me too!

Cats23 · 16/09/2022 22:24

My Dc have 2 middle names, not a problem.
I like both ypur forst names with William George followinh

RiaOverTheRainbow · 16/09/2022 22:27

Do you hope to have a dc2? If yes, and you don't have any more middle names planned, I'd save one. Your could use Georgia or Wilma/Wilhelmina for a dd.

cooldarkroom · 16/09/2022 22:36

This is pretty standard where i live, both my DCs have their two Grandfathers/Grandmothers names as middle names

mamaduckbone · 16/09/2022 22:39

My first son has both of our grandads names as middle names - Arthur Frank. I like it. (He did think his name was DS1 After Frank when he was little though...Smile)

fruitstick · 16/09/2022 22:43

Is this your first child and are you planning more?

DS1 was named after DH grandfather and I chose the middle name.

For DS2, I chose the first and and DH chose the middle name (which is the name of his other grandfather)

toastofthetown · 16/09/2022 23:05

I prefer having both family names in the middle, then a new name as a first name. I think it’s nice for a child to have their own, new identity for their first name. I don’t think it matters which name goes first of two middle name either, just which sounds better to you. I probably prefer Arthur William George, but I don’t know your surname and how that ties in with it.

jrt2022 · 17/09/2022 05:38

Two middle names is really normal , my kids and siblings have two (except me for some reason which I’ve always been bitter about! 😂). It’s not pretentious at all. And the names you chose go well together!

custardbear · 17/09/2022 06:03

Another with 2 middle names each child. DD had one from dads side first then one middle name from my side second, with DS it was the other way around.
I think George William flows better

MrsClarkandPercy · 17/09/2022 06:23

Have two middle names.

thecapitalsunited · 17/09/2022 06:44

My brother is named after his two grandads. My parents flipped a coin to decide the order.

imnotthatkindofmum · 17/09/2022 06:51

My daughter has the same name as my dad but we call him dad/grandad so not an issue except for dh but he calls my dd all sorts of random names so it's fine! (Actually I don't really use my dds actual name often either which is ridiculous as I love it!)

If you want to just use the 2 names together without another then do you not have a preferred name? William is slightly less common than George if that helps? (I'm a teacher so I say this with a little authority albeit biased to a small geographic area in the SE)

If not as pp has said I'd go with Arthur George William. Alphabetical order and Arthur seems to flow better.

Willbe2under2 · 17/09/2022 06:55

I prefer them as middle names - so Arthur William George or Edward William George.

I wonder if the overwhelming preference on this thread for W-G is (unconsciously) because of Prince William and Prince George, so often when the two names are in a sentence it's that easy round and therefore we're more used to it?

Lovely names though OP, slightly prefer Edward to Arthur.

BuffaloCauliflower · 17/09/2022 08:39

Two middle names is fine, it’s standard in my family. I have both grandmothers names as middle names, my brother has both grandfathers. Just do that, it’s fine.

shortpeopleproblems · 17/09/2022 08:49

My daughter's each have two middle names. DD1 has both our mothers middle names because we couldn't decide, then DD2 has my middle name and another that has family significance.

soulinablackberrypie · 21/09/2022 10:22

I really like Arthur George William.

To the person who said you don't call the grandads by their first name, you call them Grandad, presumably each spouse calls the other spouse's grandad by his first name. It would be a bit weird to call someone else's grandad Grandad.

IbizaToTheNorfolkBroads · 21/09/2022 10:28

Two middle names is not unusual

theruffles · 21/09/2022 11:37

My DC has both grandads' names for his middle names. My FiL died before he was born so we wanted to honour him in our DC's name but also wanted to use my DF's name in there too. It's never felt too long a name to me.

triplechoc · 21/09/2022 11:58

My son has those exact names for his middle names, for the same reason. We went for William George as they flowed better with the first name and surname than the other way round.
I don’t think anyone outside of family even knows what his middle names are!

NCFT0922 · 21/09/2022 12:03

Oh wow!! One of my sons names is one of your suggestions. Obviously I think 3 names is fine and we did it for exactly the same reasons as you; he is named after both his great grandfathers.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.