Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Apparently my sons have ‘naughty boy’ names…

136 replies

Perplexed0522 · 13/08/2022 09:04

A friend made a light hearted comment (supposedly) about my two children’s names last week and I am convinced she’s a MN member seeing as she used to the term ‘naughty boy name’.

My husband has got Scottish roots and before we TTC the plan was always that we would honour his history. He used to live in Scotland but moved to England to settle down with me and as all his family are still in Scotland we felt Scottish names would be a nod to them.

We had a son first and called him Arran (pronounced Arun) after one of the Isles and we joked that if our second child was a girl we would call her Skye.

Second child turned out to be another gorgeous boy so we called him Lewis, after one of the other Scottish Isles.

My friend is pregnant which is why we were taking about names and that’s when she said (with a giggle) that it was really brave of me to give both my sons names that are associated with being naughty. She laughed it off but it really hurt.

I’ve since come on here (we have been thinking about TTC number 3) and I have seen Lewis be labelled as a ‘naughty boy’s name ☹️

I know a child’s name doesn’t define them but I feel so guilty that I may have given both my boys a name that has negative associations ☹️

Has anyone else been in a similar boat and how did you move on from it?

OP posts:
Please
or

KangarooKenny · 13/08/2022 09:05

Ignore her. They are not naughty names.

Please
or

Nowisthemonthofmaying · 13/08/2022 09:06

This is nuts and not something I've heard before, on here or elsewhere. They're lovely names and your friend was being bitchy.

Please
or

MrsSales · 13/08/2022 09:07

Ridiculous

Please
or

SoupDragon · 13/08/2022 09:07

There is no such thing as a "naughty boy name".

it is just the personal associations people have with a name.

Please
or

Teadrinkingmumofone · 13/08/2022 09:08

Never really thought about 'naughty names' but when I read the title though I immediately had a few names in my head that I thought you might say. Arran and Lewis I definitely wouldn't consider naughty names! Both quite lovely. Ignore your friend, quite a mean comment to have made.

Please
or

Haus1234 · 13/08/2022 09:08

What a nasty woman.

Please
or

SleepingStandingUp · 13/08/2022 09:09

Ive heard of the naughty kids name stuff, but it's basically on here a way to suggest the name is lower class or chavvy.

I wouldn't think Arran or Lewis fell into these categories tbf, not that it should matter.

If your friend doesn't have form for being s bitch, let it go. If she does have form, you need to think that through

Please
or

Boybandfacedfannyfart · 13/08/2022 09:10

I live in Scotland - certainly not naughty boy names where I am (and have been). In fact, boys named after islands IME are always the sweetest and from the nicest families.

Please
or

Imissmoominmama · 13/08/2022 09:10

Wtf? She’s rude- and wrong.

Please
or

SleepingStandingUp · 13/08/2022 09:12

This is the kind of nonsense the friend os referring to

people.com/parents/baby-names-related-to-kids-behavior-study/

Please
or

serenghetti2011 · 13/08/2022 09:12

Honestly your friend needs to grow the feck up. names are just that the name you give your child they are not naughty or bad or anything else. I am a childrens nurse so have come across many unusual and different names and o never have thought well the last Lewis I cared for was a bit of a character so this one will be too, I never label a child as naughty - naughty behaviour yes but children do push the boundaries and misbehave that’s normal. Your friend should apologise your boys names are lovely 🥰

Please
or

ClocksGoingBackwards · 13/08/2022 09:13

I’m in England, I e never heard those names associated with ‘naughty’. There are plenty of names that are associated with naughty, but none of them are the names you chose in my experience. Your ‘friend’ is both wrong and a bitch.

Please
or

ShirleyPhallus · 13/08/2022 09:13

They’re lovely names

I do think there are some “naughty” names, the same way as I think there are mean names, clever names, shy names etc but that’s because lots of people associate people they’ve known with characteristics. I doubt all the names would be the same.

Ie Nicola is the name of a totally awful person I’d once known so to me Nicola = awful but I’m sure to someone else it’s the name of a lovely kind woman

Please
or

ClocksGoingBackwards · 13/08/2022 09:16

That list posted by @SleepingStandingUp is interesting, but definitely bollocks. I have a grown up child who’s name is on the nice names list, but I’ve seen posters on here associate it with naughty in the past.

Please
or

junebirthdaygirl · 13/08/2022 09:17

I have been a teacher for 40 years and a few names popped into my head when l saw your post. Neither of your names were anywhere near the list and anyway its all nonsense as each child has their own personality. Actually she sounds like a horrible friend to say that about your dc as they have great names and the Scottish connection is a real bonus.

Please
or

SummerLobelia · 13/08/2022 09:21

What an unkind nasty thing to say.

You have had an insight into her character now though.

Please
or

SleepingStandingUp · 13/08/2022 09:22

ClocksGoingBackwards · 13/08/2022 09:16

That list posted by @SleepingStandingUp is interesting, but definitely bollocks. I have a grown up child who’s name is on the nice names list, but I’ve seen posters on here associate it with naughty in the past.

Exactly. And the list changes lots which shows that what was naughty in "2015" wasnt two years later etc.

Please
or

SaltandPepper22 · 13/08/2022 09:22

Personal association and prejudice as pp said. I get what she means although Arun and Lewis aren’t “naughty boy names” to me. I immediately reaction to a “naughty boy name” is Tyler and Tony, and Jamie but that’s probably because I went to school with some who I remember at the time being “naughty boys” rather than some deep seated association.

it’s also worth considering that the concept of a “naughty boy name” is typically a thin veiled attempt to conceal classist attitudes towards certain parents and their children rather than people actually thinking they are names for naughty children.

Please
or

SirSamVimesCityWatch · 13/08/2022 09:23

Yeah those weren't the names I was expecting!!

You're find OP. Kayden, Kyle, Jaxxon... Maybe not. 😉

It's just an stereotype based on class. We all know that in reality there's plenty of nice boys called Kyle and plenty of naughty boys named George. But stereotypes aren't necessarily untrue either - the issue of stereotypes isn't that that they are untrue, it's that they aren't the whole truth.

Please
or

abovedecknotbelow · 13/08/2022 09:24

How can you have a naughty name?

Please
or

RedRec · 13/08/2022 09:26

The names are lovely and she is a bitch.

Please
or

SoupDragon · 13/08/2022 09:30

I suppose you now know that your friend's name is a "mean girl name" 😂 Maybe tell her that.

Please
or

Happymum12345 · 13/08/2022 09:41

Another teacher here-those names are not on my ‘naught boys’ list!

Please
or

SleepingStandingUp · 13/08/2022 09:45

On here, it's when the lower classes use a name heavily that the upper classes wouldnt consider letting near their child. Usually a "made up" name or non-typical spelling, an Americanised name etc. See pp with Jayden, Jaiden, Jaxxon, etc

Please
or

SleepingStandingUp · 13/08/2022 09:46

On here, it's when the lower classes use a name heavily that the upper classes wouldnt consider letting near their child. Usually a "made up" name or non-typical spelling, an Americanised name etc. See pp with Jayden, Jaiden, Jaxxon, etc.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?