Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Violet - wow what an unusual name

Radicalfaces · 01/08/2022 04:06

I feel like I’m living in an alternate universe!!

We wanted a name for our DD that was a classic normal English name, easy to spell and pronounce. We went with Violet.

From the minute she arrived everyone from family, friends and the nurses/ midwives have been so surprised by our name choice and said how unusual it is, they’ve never heard of any Violet’s etc.

we are confused and feel like the reaction is akin to if we’d named her Larksong or something!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Trying20 · 01/08/2022 04:21

I don’t think Violet is an unusual name. Uncommon, perhaps - it’s not like Jane or something, is it? But not unusual.

I think I’d probably say something like “Oh that’s unusual” for most vaguely uncommon names that aren’t an obvious girls name that I know about 10 people who share, and I’d say “Oh it’s nice” for essentially any name that isn’t Vlad the Impaler.

I think people are being polite, OP. But it’s a nice name and I hope you and your daughter are happy and healthy.

Please
or

Duttercup · 01/08/2022 04:29

Well, it is unusual in that it's not particularly common and whilst I've obviously heard the name Violet, I've never met one, don't know of any and can't think of any famous Violets.

Please
or

MrsTerryPratchett · 01/08/2022 04:42

I know more small Violets than small Janes. It's a lovely name.

Please
or

ouch321 · 01/08/2022 04:51

I only know it from Charlie and the Choc Factory- never met a real one

Please
or

MalbecandToast · 01/08/2022 05:07

Its ever so popular here, my son has 2 in his tiny village school!

Please
or

MooseBeTimeForSnow · 01/08/2022 05:21

My paternal grandmother’s name was Violet.

Please
or

Greydog · 01/08/2022 05:39

It's a beautiful name

Please
or

stayinghometoday · 01/08/2022 05:46

I've never met one but it's a beautiful name.

Please
or

RedHelenB · 01/08/2022 05:54

MooseBeTimeForSnow · 01/08/2022 05:21

My paternal grandmother’s name was Violet.

That's probably why it'll start to be a popular name again, people calling their children after their grandma's.

Please
or

TwoLeftSocksWithHoles · 01/08/2022 06:17

I would say it's an 'older' name like many that are flowers, e.g. Daisy, Ivy, Rose etc. but many are making a comeback.

I think names are cyclical. When I was young only old men were called Arthur (and a cat who ate out of a tin) but now it seems quite common although they no longer wear cloth caps.

Violet Carson was Ena Sharples in Coronation Street.

The only other violet I can think of at the moment is the little sweets, Parma Violets.

Please
or

diamondpony80 · 01/08/2022 06:32

The only Violet I know in real life is over 80. It's quite an old fashioned name, but a lot of those names are coming back into fashion.

The name Violet mostly just reminds me of Hyacinth Bucket! "It's my sister Violet! She's the one with the Mercedes, swimming pool, and room for a pony." Of course most people under a certain age won't have seen Keeping Up Appearances though!

Please
or

TeenDivided · 01/08/2022 06:34

I think it fits well with all the other older names these days such as Ivy and Alfie.
I think it is only 'unusual' in the same way that 10 years ago Ivy was unusual.

Please
or

PopGoesBang · 01/08/2022 06:38

I have one. There's another one in her school too.
I think it's a beautiful name (you'd hope so eh!)
Congratulations on your Violet and just enjoy it.

Please
or

Antarcticant · 01/08/2022 06:41

I know of a pre-school aged Violet Nice name.

Please
or

cantcomplainabouttheweather · 01/08/2022 06:44

Depends where you live - I have at least 5 friends/colleagues/ acquaintances who called their daughters Violet

Please
or

ChessieFL · 01/08/2022 06:45

I don’t think it’s that unusual. One of the Yorkshire Shepherdess’s daughters is called Violet.

Please
or

lastminutedotcom22 · 01/08/2022 06:45

diamondpony80 · 01/08/2022 06:32

The only Violet I know in real life is over 80. It's quite an old fashioned name, but a lot of those names are coming back into fashion.

The name Violet mostly just reminds me of Hyacinth Bucket! "It's my sister Violet! She's the one with the Mercedes, swimming pool, and room for a pony." Of course most people under a certain age won't have seen Keeping Up Appearances though!

Yes this!!
That's brought back memories!

Please
or

florianfortescue · 01/08/2022 06:54

Dave Grohl's daughter is called Violet. I think it's beautiful and on a par with something like Primrose or Rowan in terms of "unusualness".

Please
or

ChronicOverthinkr · 01/08/2022 08:13

Violet was on our list but MIL kept saying it was too similar to violent 😒 and we ended up going with something else. I’ve got regrets because I still think it’s a lovely name!

Please
or

lljkk · 01/08/2022 08:15

We know one who is 14yo.

Please
or

KirstenBlest · 01/08/2022 08:19

According to darkgreener it was the 48th most popular name in England & Wales in 2020.

Please
or

TeenDivided · 01/08/2022 08:20

KirstenBlest · 01/08/2022 08:19

According to darkgreener it was the 48th most popular name in England & Wales in 2020.

Wow!

Please
or

Numbat2022 · 01/08/2022 08:20

It's a lovely name, was on my list for a girl. I don't it's unusual at all, it's just not very commonly used... definitely more of a granny name, but that means it'll become more common again now.

I knew an Arthur at school and always thought it was a strange name for a child (I'm 40). Now there's millions of them 😁

Please
or

TheFormidableMrsC · 01/08/2022 08:21

It's a beautiful name. My beloved Nanna was a Violet. She was an amazing woman. I'm too old now but if I'd had another girl it would have been top of my list of names.

Please
or

pinklavenders · 01/08/2022 08:22

Maybe you live in an area where most parents choose top 10 names.... do for them Violet is indeed unusual?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.