Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

How about Claudia?

Clairewentoverthemountain · 28/07/2022 18:24

The meaning isn't very nice, but does it matter? I like that it's old, biblical, familiar but not overly popular.

I've never considered it today (it was in a TV show I was watching) so just putting the feelers out for general thoughts.

OP's posts:
Please
or

SpaceJam33 · 28/07/2022 19:14

I like Claudia… except when it is pronounced Cloud-ia. I’ve know a few with the regular pronunciation but one this way and it sounds odd to me.

Please
or

Antarcticant · 28/07/2022 19:17

I really like it. Also Claudine.

Please
or

DogsAndGin · 28/07/2022 19:19

I like it but I would be really put off by what it means

Please
or

Glitterbiscuits · 28/07/2022 19:21

It's lovely but it's my cats name so I'm biased.

Please
or

DramaAlpaca · 28/07/2022 22:47

Gorgeous name, but the meaning really does bother me.

Please
or

Normandy144 · 28/07/2022 22:54

I have a Claudia so I am biased. The meaning doesn't bother me at all and no one has ever commented on the meaning. I do think it is why the name isn't more popular though as a lot of people are put off by the meaning. We've never met another Claudia yet and DD is 9. If you like it go for it.

Please
or

EdgeOfACoin · 28/07/2022 22:56

DramaAlpaca · 28/07/2022 22:47

Gorgeous name, but the meaning really does bother me.

Same.

However, I might be able to get over the meaning if I could identify a couple of real-life inspirational Claudias to hold up as role models for a baby Claudia.

Please
or

Philandbill · 28/07/2022 23:01

Love it. I know one adult Claudia who is clever and charming. I always think of the central character in Penelope Lively's novel "Moon Tiger" when I hear the name.

Please
or

toastinateapot · 28/07/2022 23:06

It’s a great name. I went to university with a Claudia and nobody ever knew or cared what her name meant, we all thought it sounded glamorous.

Please
or

Thatsenoughnow · 28/07/2022 23:06

I think its gorgeous, chic, elegant and beautiful. Nobody in real life cares about meanings anyway.

Please
or

Luredbyapomegranate · 28/07/2022 23:29

Love it. Inexplicably underused.

Lots of names have weird meanings, who cares? It’s got a long and rich history so if it’s good enough for Roman Empresses…

Please
or

mintich · 28/07/2022 23:30

Claudia was on my list for DD. Its a lovely name.

Please
or

NoiceToight · 28/07/2022 23:34

I like it. Reminds me of a character from the Babysitters Club books that I read as a child. As far as I remember, Claudia was the coolest one.

Please
or

Cadot · 29/07/2022 10:29

Lovely

Please
or

pinklavenders · 29/07/2022 12:05

The meaning does put me off unfortunately.

The Latin root is very recognisable imo

Please
or

Friffle · 29/07/2022 12:09

Beautiful name. Meaning wouldn't personally bother me a jot. Amelia is birth defect that involves a limb absence but doesn't seem to have halted that name's popularity.

Please
or

Friffle · 29/07/2022 12:11

I like it. Reminds me of a character from the Babysitters Club books that I read as a child. As far as I remember, Claudia was the coolest one.

Ha, yes! She was the cool arty one.

Please
or

PortalooSunset · 29/07/2022 12:40

I really like it but have no idea of the meaning.

Please
or

pinklavenders · 29/07/2022 12:42

Many people won't know the meaning.

Those who learn Latin will though.

Please
or

SirenSays · 29/07/2022 12:43

I'm not a fan. I think it sounds harsh, like a German dominatrix or something.

Please
or

Clairewentoverthemountain · 29/07/2022 12:48

I've actually been reading a lot today about how the 'lame/crippled' meaning is probably incorrect. This comment I stole sums it up, although of course could be wrong:

"The name Claudia is actually related to power and protection, both historically and etymologically.
It is quite obvious that such a popular name, especially among the elites of the Roman Empire, did not mean a weakness at all and it is surprising that the meaning "lame" is still perpetrated across so many websites. However, this perpetration is understandable, as online content is often copied from one source to another.
Claudia derives from Claudius, which comes from the Sabine name Clausus, which means closed, inaccessible, sealed or unreachable, and was used in contexts such as "fenced land" (property). Claudius is the romanization of Clausus and originated with the legendary founder of the Roman Empire, Appius Claudius Sabinus Regillensis, who was originally called Attius Clausus.
Appius Claudius (505 - 480 BC), the empire founder, was born long before Claudius (10 BC-AD 54), the emperor who was believed to have some kind of disability. So the name obviously precedes the famous disabled bearer, both in History and in his personal life, since his disabilities did not manifest at birth or in his first years of life, so he was not named after them. Rather, the name he received was a great status symbol and did not relate to disabilities at all.
Appius Claudius, the empire founder, was the first famous bearer of the name Claudius and the leading figure of the aristocratic party in the early Roman Republic. Claudius and Claudia were always noble names and status symbols.
The name Claudia has been mistakenly associated with the Latin claudicus (to limp or waver), since such an honorable and desired name could not have had a bad meaning as it was a hit with Latin-speaking people, who were perfectly aware of all its possible meanings. (Even freed slaves would voluntarily keep this name, given by their former owners.)
Coming from clausus (as in Attius Clausus), the name is actually related to the verb claudo, which means to close, conclude or lock. So the name Claudius probably appeared with a sense of land ownership that, back then, was strongly related to the ability to protect the land. That makes a lot of sense with the exact timing of the birth of an empire (the Roman Empire, founded by Appius Claudius).
When the powerful Appius Claudius founded the Roman Empire, the name Claudius was such a desired name that people who could not use it as a surname (first form of the name), began to use it as a given name. For such a desired and popular name, the meaning of "lame" does not make any sense, at any time.
The name Claudia obviously follows the meaning of enclosure (to seal an area with a barrier; for example, a fenced land) and could even be related to the English “to close". Considering its history, it is clearly related to the protective power of a fortress and, therefore, to the fortune it protects. One could easily add the meanings of a safe haven or a safe home. The idea of "protection" was probably in the meaning of the original Roman name, as the name was an "elite" name, a name for “inaccessible”, "protected" people.
Other popular names also have ambiguous/negative meanings in their roots, e.g. Amelia, Emily, Cecilia and Deirdre, just to name a few. However, it seems that they have received new meanings in recent times and the "bad meanings" are fading away. In the end, it is the culture we live in that counts, and today these names are joyful and beautiful. Claudia's mistaken meaning is also fading as more researchers, and History, join the discussion. Anyway, it is always a distinctive, beautiful, and powerful name.
So, for all Claudias out there: Claudia means “to enclose” in the sense of keeping/protecting, originally wealth/properties. In short, it expresses protection and power.
And it sounds great."

And this reassured me for about 5 minutes HOWEVER i'm not sure that this is something I could be bothered to learn off by heart and try to explain every time I introduced a new baby. Like, "This is Claudia, and I know what you're thinking, Claudia means lame or crippled, right? BUT WAIT! ........" And then into the entire speech.

Might save time just to choose another name.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Clairewentoverthemountain · 29/07/2022 12:51

Full disclosure: I was too embarrassed to admit this in the OP, but Babysitter's Club is the TV show I was watching 😂 I LOVED the books when I was a kid and found the movie online and couldn't resist. Tried to convince myself I was watching it for the kids but the kids are way too young to be interested and wandered off after literally 30 seconds. And Claudia is SO COOL in the TV show! Even cooler than the Claudia I imagined as a kid. (Babysitter's Club has also made me like the names Mallory and Marnie, cool but underused? Although Mallory another awful name meaning.)

OP's posts:
Please
or

Aorh · 29/07/2022 12:52

The meaning doesn’t matter at all. People with names with not so great meanings just have a giggle over it, don’t they? I’m not even sure how credible most sources of name meanings are.

Its not one of my favourite names, but nothing wrong with it -if it’s the one for you, I would worry about the meaning.

Please
or

TheCraicDealer · 29/07/2022 13:02

We have nearly 3 year old Claudia. I knew about the "meaning" before we named her and I literally never think about it apart from when it crops up on these threads. I mean my DH has a perfectly normal top 10 name meaning ‘supplanter’ which ain't great either, but it's not stopped its enduring popularity.

Anyway we get loads of compliments on her name, and I mean loads, probably because it's similar to the incredibly popular Sophia, Amelia, Olivia etc. but there's comparatively so few of them about. 100% would pick it again.

Please
or

Staynow · 29/07/2022 13:04

I grew up with a Claudia, I always loved her name - definitely much better than Mallory or Marnie IMO! Don't recall anyone every suggesting her name meant lame.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.