Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Does anyone have sibling name envy?

Greenbeanmcgee · 24/06/2022 12:59

I'm an only child so I've no experience of this but a friend was complaining that her parents gave her two sisters much nicer names than hers and she'd rather have one of their names. Her name is a rather different style to the others. I wondered if anyone else wishes that they'd been given the name that a sibling was given. Is this a thing?

OP's posts:
Please
or

17caterpillars1mouse · 24/06/2022 13:05

I only have a brother so nope no name envy. Though if I'd been a boy and my parents had gone with the name they were planning I still wouldn't have name envy

Please
or

Undertheoldlindentree · 24/06/2022 13:09

No, just name envy of the alternative name my parents didn't use after having two picked out for me.

Please
or

DisforDarkChocolate · 24/06/2022 13:10

I liked my older sister's name more than mine when I was younger but not now. My brother got the short straw though.

Please
or

DotDotDotDotDot · 24/06/2022 13:15

No name envy in my family. Although my sibling and I got given equally bad 80’s names.

Please
or

zafferana · 24/06/2022 13:16

The opposite for me. I got a nice, slightly unusual name, my poor DSis got one of the top 10 names at the time so she is one of about a billion women our age with that name.

Please
or

aftonwater · 24/06/2022 13:18

I have name relief. Relief that I wasn't given one of the alternatives my parents had considered!

Please
or

zafferana · 24/06/2022 13:20

Correction - I just googled the top names in the year my DSis was born and she got the #1 UK girls name for the entire decade 😖

Please
or

WhackingPhoenix · 25/06/2022 00:09

I adore my sister’s name but it wouldn’t suit me at all!

Please
or

BiscoffSundae · 25/06/2022 01:52

I do think my sister has a slightly nicer name than me but I don’t care about it enough to be bothered by it

Please
or

PeanutButterOnToad · 25/06/2022 02:16

No. My sister and I were both adopted as babies and came ready named. Compared to her I did much better but luckily there is an abbreviation she can use.

Please
or

MrsTerryPratchett · 25/06/2022 02:18

I got an incredibly boring name. 5 in my class at school. DBro got a very very unusual name, never met another. I'm a massive extrovert, he's a massive introvert.

No one is happy Grin

Please
or

Allthestarsabovemyhead · 25/06/2022 03:00

I seriously read that as does anyone have a sibling called envy

Please
or

maybelou · 25/06/2022 03:13

Ohhh yes 😂 My siblings all have very cool and unique names, I can't share any as they would be totally outing, and my name is in the top 15 girls names Hmm It genuinely doesn't fit with my siblings names at all, it's such a strange and boring choice but whenever I ask my parents what possessed them to use it they just say they liked it 😂

The difference is honestly like having a siblings called Storm and Jett while my name is Jane 🤨

Please
or

NannyWeatherWitch · 25/06/2022 06:16

ODFOD
seriously, I’m not fussed by my brothers name!

Please
or

pinklavenders · 25/06/2022 06:21

My sister has a boring popular name whereas I got a more beautiful unusual one, so name relief here rather than envy.

Please
or

ElbowsandArses · 25/06/2022 06:21

My sister got a cumbersome family name. I got a name that dates me almost to the year. I hate my full name but use a nickname. I used to feel it was unfair my sister got the “family” name (which she hated) but honestly as adults neither of us give any fucks about our names. I think the envy/jealousy stuff is just childhood emotions playing out and could be focussed on anything, really. (My sister got the bigger bedroom; room with the window at the back; a bigger teddy on her birthday etc).

Please
or

SpringIntoChaos · 25/06/2022 08:13

No 🤣 my sister's name is Sharon 🤦‍♀️ I definitely got the best name 🥰

Please
or

SpringIntoChaos · 25/06/2022 08:15

NannyWeatherWitch · 25/06/2022 06:16

ODFOD
seriously, I’m not fussed by my brothers name!

Why so nasty? It's a lighthearted thread about names! 😱

Please
or

MrsBertBibby · 25/06/2022 09:24

Hell yes. My sisters got 3 syllables each to my 1. With a monosyllabic surname, my name always felt like two lead weights.

I have never met another person with either of their names, there were 3 others with mine in my school year.

I even got the worst middle name, theirs would have been usable, mine is an unregenerated old lady name.

I genuinely thought they did it out of spite. I'm the middle, it's not like they'd run out of ideas.

Please
or

Enko · 25/06/2022 09:49

All 3 of us got pretty terrible names.

Please
or

Tigerteafor3 · 25/06/2022 09:53

I'd rather have my sister's name BUT my parents changed their mind on my name last minute and it could have been much worse.

Please
or

PoleFairy · 25/06/2022 16:34

I'm the only sibling without a family middle name and it annoys me. We all have fairly unusual names though which I like

Please
or

MrsMaverick · 25/06/2022 16:40

No... we both have terrible names 😂

Please
or

RichardOsmansXraySpecs · 25/06/2022 16:49

I used to prefer my Dsis's name as it was more modern but not anymore, I much prefer my name now we are adults.

Please
or

MarmaladeToastAndAMarmaladeCat · 28/06/2022 21:17

My sister and I both got quite common 1970’s / 80’s names. Hers has remained popular whereas mine hasn’t. I don’t mind though, I don’t think her name would suit me at all and I like my name.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.