Threads

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Need help find the right name for your newborn? Try our baby name generator.

Robyn/Robin for a girl

Rosekeeper · 10/05/2022 11:09

Finding it hard to pick girls names and trying not to discuss with people irl incase they dislike the few names I do like.

considering Robyn/Robin for a girl. Not sure if I like the Y spelling but I’m not sure if I can use the I spelling for a girl?

also what are your associations with this name? I don’t know anyone with it so nothing to pull from and can’t think of many celebs/characters either.

thanks!

OP's posts:
Please
or

DentonsFringeArnottsWaistcoat · 10/05/2022 11:14

I love it, DDs have a friend named Robyn (she’s 19 now) and she’s adorable, so good vibes. She’s the only one I’ve known irl though.

Please
or

Mistlewoeandwhine · 10/05/2022 11:14

I went to primary school with a girl called Robyn back in the 70s. She was really sweet and nice so I only have positive associations. It’s a lovely name.

Please
or

CoffeeBeansGalore · 10/05/2022 11:17

Lovely name. I would have been named Robin if I was a boy. I wish my parents had stuck with it as a girls name too!

Please
or

DigitalGhost · 10/05/2022 11:19

My DD (4) middle name is Robyn and she loves it. It's a nice name and a little bit different.

Please
or

AntarcticTern · 10/05/2022 11:22

I like Robyn a lot.

Please
or

user1492757084 · 10/05/2022 11:37

Both Robin and Robyn are lovely.
I like bird names.

Please
or

Chaoslatte · 10/05/2022 11:40

I don’t like it but I’m not sure why - there’s nothing objectively wrong with it but I just really dislike it! I think of the singer Robyn and the character from HIMYM, not sure if that was with a y or I. If I saw it with an I I would potentially assume boy though so for a girl I would go with y.

Please
or

SpaceJamtart · 10/05/2022 11:43

I know its the male version but I do prefer the Robin spelling

Please
or

Rosekeeper · 10/05/2022 12:04

Thanks for all the comments. I think concerns were maybe it was a bit bland/dated. I wrote it down and the I spelling did look very masculine but not sure I like the Y spelling either.

nice to see so many people have positive associations with people they have known with the name

OP's posts:
Please
or

Synchrony · 10/05/2022 12:06

I love Robin and consider Robin as unisex but Robyn for only girls.

Please
or

Luluuuuuuuuuu85 · 10/05/2022 12:18

Love Robyn, would definitely have it as an option for our DDs but it doesn't work with our surname! Usually assume the y spelling is for girls for some reason

Please
or

jauney · 10/05/2022 16:29

I love it for a girl but for some reason hate it for a boy.

Please
or

ButterRose · 10/05/2022 16:29

I really like it and like yourself I prefer the i spelling Robin doesn't seem masculine to me more unisex/neutral but Robyn definitely leans towards the feminine side

Please
or

Potterbore · 10/05/2022 16:32

My son is Robin - he’s named after a much loved family member and really suits his name.
I also know of a few girls named Robyn.
Seems to be growing in popularity.

Please
or

Irishfarmer · 10/05/2022 16:34

I really like it. I would go with y for a girl

Please
or

quarantandrums · 10/05/2022 16:41

It's not a bad name. I personally think it is a little bland due to being overused but that's just my opinion. Definitely spell it Robyn for a girl.

Please
or

BlossomWind · 10/05/2022 16:45

Love the name for boys and girls, and vastly prefer it Robin for both boys and girls. I had a book when I was younger with a girl character called Robin so it has never seemed masculine to me.

Please
or

Squiblet · 10/05/2022 16:51

That's a lovely name. No one has yet mentioned Robyn the Swedish electro singer/songwriter - she's an icon, although she probably won't be any more by the time your daughter is old enough to know, OP. There's also Robyn Hitchcock, so a strong pop heritage for Robyn-with-a-Y!

Please
or

bloominglovelyorange · 10/05/2022 17:34

fairly popular name. Lots of Rorys and Ronnies and Reuben's etc about so definitely doesn't sound dated to me. Fits in well with lots of the trendy Ro... names. If you want something more unusual I'd avoid anything top 100

Please
or

IamnotwhouthinkIam · 10/05/2022 22:29

Robin is lovely for a boy or girl imo. I personally don't get the Robyn thing - Robin is a unisex nature name after the bird (or rarely used as a nn for Robert or Roberta). After all we don't use "Rowyn" for girls instead do we? Or misspell unisex River? Confused

Please
or

kieronsmum · 10/05/2022 22:33

both my daughters-in-law are called Robyn. they always have Christmas cards etc with robins on and asked where batman is
they are ok with their names

Please
or

BaaMoon · 10/05/2022 22:34

I like Robyn. I know one, she's awesome. I hate Robin, it's a bird or that guy from batman.

Please
or

BracedlnEndIessJanuary · 10/05/2022 22:34

Robyn with a y

Please
or

ladygindiva · 10/05/2022 22:49

I have a Robin, girl, spelt with the i. I love it, obviously, and she loves it too, she's an adult now.

Please
or

ladygindiva · 10/05/2022 22:50

IamnotwhouthinkIam

Robin is lovely for a boy or girl imo. I personally don't get the Robyn thing - Robin is a unisex nature name after the bird (or rarely used as a nn for Robert or Roberta). After all we don't use "Rowyn" for girls instead do we? Or misspell unisex River? Confused

I agree totally! I couldn't get with Robyn at all, I wanted Robin like the bird.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.