My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

Astrid or Phoebe?

82 replies

feb1982 · 19/04/2022 00:00

Please help! Our beautiful DD arrived almost 2 weeks ago and we named her Astrid Phoebe Rose. We're now wondering if we got the names the wrong way around and she is more of a Phoebe than an Astrid. But is this the sleep deprivation talking? We love both names and just can't decide! Generally we've had very positive reactions to her name (although I know that my family prefer the name Phoebe).

Have you been in a similar situation? If so how did you make up your mind! Grateful for any thoughts on each name too.

OP posts:
ThatshallotBaby · 19/04/2022 09:43

I much prefer Astrid. Hold your nerve Grin

elfran · 19/04/2022 09:54

I love Astrid, it's beautiful.

Flow-wise, Astrid Phoebe also works better, as in Phoebe Astrid, the vowel ending of Phoebe runs into the A of Astrid. I end up smushing the two into one mangled name when I say it aloud.

So I'd say you have it perfect and not to second guess yourself!

(In the days following my DD's birth I also second-guessed our decision a fair few times, does she look more like our other choices, etc. I think it was just overflow emotions from months of name discussions! So happy we stuck with our gut as I can't imagine her as anything else now. 😆)

OrangeAndYellowAndBlue · 19/04/2022 10:02

Both great, can't go wrong.

Try out both and see which you prefer calling her.

Purplepalm53 · 19/04/2022 10:25

Both good names. I personally prefer Phoebe but Astrid nice too

boronia · 19/04/2022 10:28

Love Astrid.
Phoebe might make people think she was named for the character on Friends.

PraiseBee · 19/04/2022 10:29

Astrid Star

AmericanStickInsect · 19/04/2022 10:51

Astrid is beautiful. If you're unsure call her one name for a couple of days then the other.

SpaceJamtart · 19/04/2022 11:06

Astrid is such a cool name and I think it could suit anyone

GeminiTwin · 19/04/2022 13:34

Love Phoebe.

Drop the Astrid! It's a really harsh / aggressive name in my opinion.

IStandWithMaya · 19/04/2022 13:36

Astrid - beautiful name.

To me, Phoebe has a weird spelling.

Forgothowmuchlhatehomeschoolin · 19/04/2022 13:56

Not keen on Astrid - bit harsh sounding to me and seems a bit fashionable at the moment.
l know everyone says Phoebe is common but l only know of 2 and the Friends connections isn't a thing for either of them - spelling may be tricky for some but l think it is a Greek name and if you like the name then other people not being able to spell it shouldn't stop you using it.
Much prefer Phoebe.

Wyattanddarlene · 19/04/2022 18:07

Astrid and Phoebe were my shortlist. We didn't name her until she was 4 days old as we couldn't decide. DH then said he preferred Astrid so we went with that. She suited both names. She has a different middle name so Phoebe wasn't used.

I don't know any little Phoebes but there is another Astrid in my Astrid's nursery class Grin. I find when I tell new people her name that those people feel the need to tell me that they know another Astrid so I 'know of' a few.

comealongponds · 19/04/2022 18:09

Personally I prefer Phoebe but Astrid is cool and strong and you obviously liked it enough to put it first originally, so I’d stick with that unless you’ve developed a dislike for it

Babies often don’t look like strong names because they’re tiny squishy things. She’ll grow into it though.

JessyCarr · 19/04/2022 19:40

Astrid is brilliant!

ImustLearn2Cook · 19/04/2022 22:27

What Does Astrid Mean?
Astrid is an old Scandinavian name that means “divinely beautiful.” It’s a traditionally feminine name, but will be a great fit for babies of any gender. The name comes from the Old Norse word “ "Ástríðr." “Ástríðr” is made up of two words, “áss” which means god and “fríðr” which means beautiful. It has been in use since the 10th century and was a name given to Scandinavian women of royalty. Some people are of the opinion that the name is derived from the Latin name Astra. However, that’s a completely different name which means “of the stars.”

www.verywellfamily.com/astrid-name-meaning-origin-popularity-5186873

Mamalamadrama · 20/04/2022 05:25

Phoebe is beautiful
Really don't like Astrid at all.

feb1982 · 20/04/2022 15:03

@Wyattanddarlene we're in the same position- know another little Astrid (not well) but no Phoebe's although according to the stats it's a much more 'popular' name. Out of interest does your Astrid go by any nicknames or do you tend to use her full name?

OP posts:
Irishfarmer · 20/04/2022 15:15

Love Astrid so stick with that. I remember the 1st time I heard it

ButterRose · 20/04/2022 15:41

Love both of the names but I would keep Astrid as her first name it's strong and beautiful and there isn't too many around, Phoebe to me is softer and more common and personally I like stronger names but that's just me

TheMadGardener · 20/04/2022 15:55

I work in a primary school and we have LOADS of Phoebes. I think there's at least one Phoebe in each class. But no Astrids.
So I'd go with Astrid, as she'll be far more likely to be the only one in her class and won't end up being known as Phoebe B or Phoebe T or whatever.

Both my teenage DDs have names which are not too weird but unusual enough that they've never had another one in their year at school.

Iceddecaflatte · 20/04/2022 16:10

Astrid, much nicer! Drop Phoebe or Rose

WinterWinter2021 · 20/04/2022 16:40

😀Astrid

Sammilouwho · 20/04/2022 16:41

We have an Astrid! It's an amazing name and we always get compliments on it ❤️

feb1982 · 20/04/2022 16:58

Lovely to hear of another Astrid @Sammilouwho ! Out of interest is her name ever shortened to any nicknames or does she tend to go by her full name?

OP posts:
Sammilouwho · 20/04/2022 17:16

feb1982 · 20/04/2022 16:58

Lovely to hear of another Astrid @Sammilouwho ! Out of interest is her name ever shortened to any nicknames or does she tend to go by her full name?

We call her Strids or Strido :) but just a nickname by us, it's not shortened anywhere else

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.