Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Tom connotations put anyone off?

Idontthinklikethat · 15/02/2022 21:39

Okay it may be hormones but…Tom Riddle? Tom tit? Tom foolery? I could go on, has this put anyone off the name and should it put me off this name (would be Thomas on bc but only called Tom)

OP's posts:
Please
or

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz · 15/02/2022 21:40

Huh?

I think you are over thinking it Grin

Thomas or Tom on BC is fine in my book!

Please
or

Flexitarian · 15/02/2022 21:41

Tom is a lovely name! I’ve known a few of different ages. I never think of those things you mentioned!

Please
or

DietrichandDiMaggio · 15/02/2022 21:42

Have known lots of Toms and none of those 'connotations' have ever occurred to me, or I would imagine anyone else.

Please
or

FrankGrillosFloof · 15/02/2022 21:43

I clicked on this specifically to find out what exactly the connotations of Tom are. Nothing to be concerned about, as it turns out Smile

Please
or

DistrictCommissioner · 15/02/2022 21:43

This has never occurred to me & I know several.

Please
or

GeneLovesJezebel · 15/02/2022 21:44

Yep, you’re overthinking it.

Please
or

Tree543 · 15/02/2022 21:45

Ive got a Thomas and I think you are overthinking it. There are a lot of Tom words I'd imagine because it has been a very popular name for hundreds of years I know Tom is in a lot of nursery rhymes for example

Please
or

Happenchance · 15/02/2022 21:45

No, but all the Tom's that I've met have put me off the name.

Please
or

mynameisnotmichaelcaine · 15/02/2022 21:47

The only thing that would put me off is how many there are. My DD's boyfriend, my close friend's husband and two of my close work colleagues are called Tom and I regularly have to use last initials (luckily all different) to differentiate between them. I'm a teacher and there are always at least 5 Toms in every year group in school.

I've literally never heard any of them referred to using any of these negative connotations. It's a great name which is why it's so popular, and has been forever!

Please
or

Hummingbirdcake · 15/02/2022 21:48

No it’s a really nice name.

Please
or

Twizbe · 15/02/2022 21:55

I'm married to a Tom and have never thought of tom foolery when saying his name. We've been together almost 20 years.

It's a great timeless name.

Please
or

Twizbe · 15/02/2022 21:55

@mynameisnotmichaelcaine

The only thing that would put me off is how many there are. My DD's boyfriend, my close friend's husband and two of my close work colleagues are called Tom and I regularly have to use last initials (luckily all different) to differentiate between them. I'm a teacher and there are always at least 5 Toms in every year group in school.

I've literally never heard any of them referred to using any of these negative connotations. It's a great name which is why it's so popular, and has been forever!

Lol, my husband is one, his cousins (sisters) are both married to one. My cousin is married to one ... I seem to know quite a few too.
Please
or

Palmfrond · 15/02/2022 22:04

Tom’s a great name. No negative connotations that would ever occur to me anyway.

Please
or

RestingStitchFace · 15/02/2022 22:04

Absolutely one of my top 5 boys names....

Please
or

Luredbyapomegranate · 15/02/2022 22:21

No! It’s a classic

Please
or

CandyLeBonBon · 15/02/2022 22:28

You forgot 'peeping' op. That's a deal breaker right there!!! Grin

Please
or

Mischance · 15/02/2022 22:29

Two of my GSs are called Tom! I love it.

Please
or

lakeswimmer · 15/02/2022 22:32

I've got a Tom and none of those thoughts have ever occurred to me.

It is popular - in the year DS was born it was the most popular boys name - but DH and I both loved it and didn't care.

Please
or

Kite22 · 15/02/2022 23:08

eh?

No. This is definitely just you.

Tom / Thomas is a pretty timeless name.

Please
or

ElliotGoss · 16/02/2022 07:33

DP is called Tom. I call him Tom Petty occasionally. The Harry Potter one is a bit of a stretch! Though Riddle is a cool surname.

Please
or

RedRobin100 · 16/02/2022 07:38

Eh?

No..

Please
or

Idontthinklikethat · 16/02/2022 07:47

Thank you everyone! Argh so annoying that I overthink everything, strangely all the Toms I know are not the nicest but I’m trying not to let that put me off as I’ve always liked the name. Other considering is Alex.

OP's posts:
Please
or

emmathedilemma · 16/02/2022 09:00

good choices, I know twins called Alex and Tom! I wouldn't think of any of those connotations for Tom.

Please
or

Jossbow · 16/02/2022 09:35

@Idontthinklikethat

Thank you everyone! Argh so annoying that I overthink everything, strangely all the Toms I know are not the nicest but I’m trying not to let that put me off as I’ve always liked the name. Other considering is Alex.

Cant think of any for Tom. My Nephew had a friend called Alexander, who would ALWAYS be Alexnder, neverAlex.....until he got to school

please do NOT called him Alexif you have a surname anything like theirs.
Fairly ordinary COX
Please
or

TatianaBis · 16/02/2022 17:22

Prefer Alex to Tom. Tom was very popular in my age group so there are 100s of them.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.