Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Baby name regret?

JudgeJudyAgain · 03/02/2022 20:13

I had hyperemesis and PND and as a result, coupled with the fact the partner didn't agree with me on many names I still didn't have a name for her when she was almost 6 weeks old.
The only one we could agree on was Esmé (Es-may) so reluctantly went for that.
Now I really don't like it. She's forever getting Es-me and the accent is a pain.
It's too late to change it isn't it? She's 4 months.
Anyone else have name regret and did it grow on you?

OP's posts:
Please
or

RedCandyApple · 03/02/2022 20:17

I would pronounce it as es mee and there was a thread on here not long ago where most people said the same. I would change it now if you want to as under 12 months it can be changed on the bc

Please
or

Puffykins · 03/02/2022 20:18

So, I love Esme - and have a daughter with a longer variation. Firstly, you can simply correct everyone's pronunciation of it/ else start calling her Essy/ Mimi?

Please
or

butterflyfox · 03/02/2022 20:20

Please change it. Not because it’s not lovely but my daughter is nearly 10 and I still regret her name. I thought it was too late to change at a month old. And six months old. And a year old. It has not grown on me. At 10 years it probably is too late so I’m being creative with nicknames.

Please
or

StrychnineIntheSandwiches · 03/02/2022 20:21

If your partner is on board just change it.

Please
or

Aquamarine1029 · 03/02/2022 20:21

What other names are you considering?

Please
or

JudgeJudyAgain · 03/02/2022 20:33

Thanks everyone. The thing is I actually can't even think of another name 😂 or not one we could agree on at least!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Luredbyapomegranate · 03/02/2022 20:36

It’s a nice name. But if you don’t like it, change it.

Try her w different names for a week.

Please
or

StrychnineIntheSandwiches · 03/02/2022 20:39

If your partner's amenable to changing it just print off say the top 200 or top 500 girls' names from the last stats release and see if there's something there you both prefer. There are a lot of names out there, would be a shame if you still regretted your child's name 10 years from now, like the poster above.

You can see the stats excel sheet on this page

www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/livebirths/bulletins/babynamesenglandandwales/2020

Please
or

Buddhabowl · 03/02/2022 20:48

I had bad name regret with DS2. I was still wanting to change it at 1 year old. It bothered me constantly for his first year. It really didn't help that everyone pronounced it wrong so I know how you feel!
Anyway every time I said I'd change it we still couldn't think of a name we both agreed on and then I actually felt sad about changing it. Yes there were names I preferred but none that DH also liked.

Long story short we stuck with it and I'm pleased we did. Most people get his name right now so that's less of an issue. We chose the name for a reason. I think you should try to look back at why you chose it.
Esme is beautiful, you can always lose the accent if you want to. People will get used to your chosen pronunciation and even when people get it wrong it's still a lovely name.

Please
or

Easterbunnyiswindowshopping · 03/02/2022 20:52

Could it be that you associate the name more with the rubbish time you had than the gorgeous baby?

Please
or

SparkleSpangle · 03/02/2022 20:54

Change it to esmay?

Please
or

UserBot9to5 · 03/02/2022 20:55

What about 'May' while you think of another name.

Please
or

tortiecat · 03/02/2022 20:56

@SparkleSpangle

Change it to esmay?

Do NOT do this Grin
Esmé is lovely. But if you don't like it, you can change it. Pp suggestion of printing out names and going through with your DP is a good one... either you will find one you like better or you will end up feeling that you made the right choice!
Please
or

kylie122 · 04/02/2022 02:09

That's my favourite name it's lovely

Please
or

Hellodaahling · 04/02/2022 07:51

Definitely change it.
Esme is pretty but you don’t need other peoples opinions to sway you if you don’t like it.
I had the same problem with my oldest daughter, I did change it. I was embarrassed to change it etc, but it’s better to do it then because you won’t do it when they’re older and live forever with regret.
The only issue I have is I still don’t LOVE my oldest daughters new name , but I am still happy I changed it, it’s better than the original name, so I am more at peace.

Please
or

Hopitihop · 04/02/2022 07:52

Esme is the right spelling and to me Es-me is the spot on right sound.

Es-May sounds a bit dragged over, like you try to make the name a longer sound without any reason really.

However, if you explain that this is the spelling you want no-one would bat an eyelid.

I wouldn't change the name, which would result in a made up name, just to clarify pronunciation.

If you want a completely different name that's another topic.

Please
or

GeneLovesJezebel · 04/02/2022 07:54

I would pronounce it Es-may. It’s a lovely name.

Please
or

Oli5 · 04/02/2022 09:08

I had this with my daughter . There was another name that I loved but didn’t use . Can honestly say that i now love her name and am glad I didn’t change it . I actually regret my other child’s middle name now still but try to reassure myself it’s just a middle name so not as important ! If you really don’t like it I would change it . It’s easier than you think I have heard and who cares what anyone thinks about it xx

Please
or

Oli5 · 04/02/2022 09:09

Btw I love esme xxx

Please
or

Teaforme123 · 04/02/2022 09:13

Just change the spelling to Esmay or Esmae . I know an Esmae.

Please
or

Rollonspring1111 · 04/02/2022 11:44

I love Esme.

I had a lot of negativity around my 4th baby's name. It's a completely different style of name to my older 3, but a name I fell in love with.
I very nearly changed his name to something completely different, but I'm so glad I didn't as it just fits him perfectly!
It's that 3 letter name that gets so much trash on here, but I still love it now.

Please
or

Awwlookatmybabyspider · 04/02/2022 12:20

No its not too late to change you actually have up to12 months. Do it ASAP though. In a few months she'll know her name.

Please
or

KirstenBlest · 04/02/2022 12:27

Just change the spelling to Esmay or Esmae

Please don't, and definitely not Ezmae.

Please
or

Mayhemmumma · 04/02/2022 13:05

I've only met one Esme who isn't es may- I thought es-me pronunciation was an error!

Please
or

Blubells · 04/02/2022 16:06

If you want English speakers to pronounce it Esmay then I'd spell it like that, Esmay.

Esmé is the French male version of Esmée.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?